U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:51 PM

3,505 posts, read 2,733,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
I now live in the far western suburbs of Chicago which is not diverse. So let me get this straight, Chicago is not a diverse city because there is not a large Dominican population?!?

Growing up in the 70s Chicago was more blue collar, but a true city of neighbohoods, which it is today. If Chicago is not diverse, no city is. Seriously this thread has gotten really crazy, but all these city vs city usually do.
For someone who wants a history of Chicago, here it is
Bridgeport= Italians/Irish, more Irish, Halsted - Greeks, Pilsen - Mexican, Humboldt Park - Puerto Ricans, South and West Sides - African American, Lakeview - LGBT community, as well as parts of Andersonville, Central - Polish, Devon - Indian, Pakistani, Jewish.

I used to live in Rogers Park a long time ago. Here is a copy and paste of one neighborhoods diversty. Let me stress, one small neighborhood on the far north side of the city
C
HICAGO’S MOST DIVERSE NEIGHBORHOOD BY THE LAKE
For some it’s the abundance of beaches, for some it’s the great values in vintage apartments, for some it’s the diversity and culture that comes from its location between two universities. No one can say quite for sure what it is that makes Rogers Park uniquely Rogers Park.
Rogers Park is one of the most culturally and economically diverse neighborhoods in Chicago and the nation. Located in the far northeast corner of the city, more than 80 languages are spoken among the community’s 63,000 residents. In Rogers Park, people celebrate diversity and value harmonious living. Residents of differing incomes and ages live side-by-side and work together to build a community where everyone, can live, work and succeed. “In a city made famous for an accepted and often enforced cultural and socio-economic homogeneity within neighborhoods,” says the Chicago Tribune, “Rogers Park stands almost alone as an exception.”
Chicago isn't really diverse when compared to NYC is what we're saying (few cities are) and that there are substantial ethnic groups that do not have significant populations of note. Chicago IS diverse, but NYC is on a completely different level and that matters to some folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 PM

387 posts, read 253,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
No, not at all. I'm Dominican and I wouldn't enjoy Chicago nowhere near as much as even Providence, let alone NYC. Downplay it all you want, but race/ethnicity is a big factor in choosing where to live. Yes, there's CoL and jobs and the like as other factors, and people are individuals at the end of the day with their own desires, but race is still a huge motivating factor. Who am I gonna date? Where will I party? Etc, etc.

So no, there's certainly not enough diversity for pretty much everyone in Chicago. Certain groups are so severely unrepresented that they're little more than tokens, at this point.
Of course it is.....That's why as a White (Italian) person I could care less how diverse a city is....No one really loves "diversity" they just like their own ethnic group being well represented....

So in that way Chicago for me is better than NYC/DC.....Less random foreigners who can barely speak English, that I could care less about (gasp Racist!!)......But still enough diversity to not be only White or Black people (like many Southern cities are) and not be boring or 1 sided in thinking....

I see nothing beneficial about "extreme" diversity....A moderate amount works best....

Old 08-21-2015, 11:33 PM

387 posts, read 253,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkchelsea View Post
How is this a real comparison? Chicago lacks the sophistication, iconography and prestige of New York.

Next..
How about who cares?? Unless you are some 130lb recent college grad Hipster no one really cares about any of those irrelevant adjectives (except for "iconography" which I guess is cool).....

What matters is affordability and quality of life for the average person....Which both Chicago and NYC are about equal in (NYC is much more expensive, but has lower crime and better weather so I will give them a draw).....

Old 08-22-2015, 01:16 AM

17 posts, read 11,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Of course it is.....That's why as a White (Italian) person I could care less how diverse a city is....No one really loves "diversity" they just like their own ethnic group being well represented....

So in that way Chicago for me is better than NYC/DC.....Less random foreigners who can barely speak English, that I could care less about (gasp Racist!!)......But still enough diversity to not be only White or Black people (like many Southern cities are) and not be boring or 1 sided in thinking....

I see nothing beneficial about "extreme" diversity....A moderate amount works best....
That's the beauty of New York. If you prefer to live that way, you can live in a homogenous neighborhood (Upper East Side, Washington Heights or Staten Island in your case lol), but in Big Apple have the ability to take day trips to places like Flushing, Queens (you would think you're in China) or Brighton Beach, Brooklyn (you would think you're in Russia). New York is the Center of the World, and the possibilities and experiences are vast and endless. Chicago is just a city in the Midwest.

It's great living in a world city that lets you experience these things without having to actually leave. Having lived in Paris, London and New York, Chicago is no match for such cities. Nowhere is, to be honest.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:20 AM

17 posts, read 11,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
How about who cares?? Unless you are some 130lb recent college grad Hipster no one really cares about any of those irrelevant adjectives (except for "iconography" which I guess is cool).....

What matters is affordability and quality of life for the average person....Which both Chicago and NYC are about equal in (NYC is much more expensive, but has lower crime and better weather so I will give them a draw).....
I care. I'm not an average person (thank God).

Old 08-22-2015, 03:10 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,365 times
Quote:
That's the beauty of New York. If you prefer to live that way, you can live in a homogenous neighborhood (Upper East Side, Washington Heights or Staten Island in your case lol), but in Big Apple have the ability to take day trips to places like Flushing, Queens (you would think you're in China) or Brighton Beach, Brooklyn (you would think you're in Russia). New York is the Center of the World, and the possibilities and experiences are vast and endless. Chicago is just a city in the Midwest.

It's great living in a world city that lets you experience these things without having to actually leave. Having lived in Paris, London and New York, Chicago is no match for such cities. Nowhere is, to be honest.
No one would say NYC is not America's truly international city? It really is now THE WORLD'S CITY.

But Chicago is still the Quintessential American city. Its housing to street layout. Though originally started with Philly's original. They kept a full alleyway system, widened streets, green space set-backs for all housing and then added with Daniel Burnham's Plan for some diagonal streets and Boulevards.

Chicago's housing to downtown. Truly embraced American Architecture and did not use British Row housing and Duplex-double homes. But of course NYC did add to our skyscraper spectrum. But guess Tenement style housing for the masses IS AMERICAN. Chicago embraced far too many single homes like those Bungalow belt ones instead of more Rows........... NYC is NYC. But Chicago gets its due too.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:41 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,902,712 times
It's always so amazing when someone on this forum has lived in in Paris, London, NYC, etc. Of course, there's no way to proooove that. Anyway, why is this turning into a Chicago bash? Chicago is more than "just a city". Once again, where has the OP asked about diversity, and where on earth is it written that this is the determining factor????? People shouldn't just be able to go on and on about something that has been addressed (enough already), and that isn't as important to the OP as it is to the poster who wants to bash a particular city (Chicago).

I, for one, am sick of posters who take over a thread with negativity and an agenda. Moderators, please ban me from this forum...I'm just tired of this.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:14 AM

577 posts, read 511,153 times
Quote:
New York is the Center of the World, and the possibilities and experiences are vast and endless. Chicago is just a city in the Midwest.
I'd say London is the center of the world. More history, number one place for fashion and music. The BBC, and the busiest airport in the world.

Chicago might not have as much going on, but it's a lot cheaper and a lot friendlier, and you don't feel packed like sardines all the time. These days, NYC has two types of people: rich people, and people struggling to get by. Not a great breeding ground for creativity.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:08 AM

135 posts, read 118,900 times
When the time comes that NYC isn't the most important city or "center" of the world (as far as the western world goes), I have a feeling it'll be in a state of denial similar to how oil companies and other legacy industries that have had a grip on the American economy (and politics) have resisted a change to alternative energy sources and what not, kind of like a changing of the guard. These things are supposed to be allowed to happen.

After having been to a number of world cities, the only two I felt that could compete with NYC at this point is London and to a lesser extent Paris, but the world is catching up to NYC. Its not uncontested like it was post-WWII in America's real heyday. It's a global economy and London arguably plays a more important role. Sure, culturally and entertainment-wise London is even less significant than NYC, but that's really not NYC's either. Fashion, entertainment, music, art, etc. becomes even more pervasive at that level. Economically its moreso NYC and London.

I just feel like NYC is fighting to hold on to everything because other cities are catching up.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:15 AM

135 posts, read 118,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
These days, NYC has two types of people: rich people, and people struggling to get by. Not a great breeding ground for creativity.

100% agree.

Music and art are major parts of culture and aren't traditionally lucrative areas and we're already seeing a shift in these creative types leaving NYC for more affordable areas.

How much culture came out of NYC during the 60's, 70's, 80's when it was more of an everyman's city and not a center of concentrated wealth? Culture and art are going to suffer because the most creative types are leaving.

Or these creative types that make it big come from elsewhere and move to NYC when they've "made it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or