U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:00 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,719,204 times

Advertisements

All these things are subjective, but if you asked a random cross-sample of non-biased people, obviously one would conclude that NYC is far ahead in things like dining, education, diversity, retail, urbanity, etc. NYC has many times the quality and quantity.

The only cities that can really compete with NYC are London, Paris and Tokyo. Even those three overall, probably aren't quite as strong in as many aspects as NYC. If you forced people to pick a #1 city in the world, I think NYC would be the most common answer, and probably by a longshot (I would guess London #2, Paris #3 and Tokyo #4, if people worldwide had to rank).

Now, granted, it could be that people are not being rational. It could be that American hegemony has unfairly boosted NYC. It could be that Tokyo should be #1, if you strictly value size and transit, or Rome #1 if you strictly value history and religion, or many other cities would be in the running. But I think overall, four cities would stand out, and one would stand out from the four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 07:12 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,017,924 times
So having an opinion is trolling ?

I coulda swore trolling was calling names & derailing threads with absolute non sense, Eastcoasters disagreeing with me is fine by me,I just know what i know & some can't handle it like Qworld lol

Qworld, what's your problem with someone thinking Nyc isn't number 1 ? Nyc had it's time at the top last century & now it's a new day .

I see people from Florida & Texas boosting their state as the best,but it doesn't bother me none.....To me California is the best place in America, is just my opinion mr emotional lol

And also to me Los Angeles Is on Nyc level & other world cities, Which city is better is another opinion .I hold Nyc in high regards due to the power that is Manhattan but i also don't live in a bubble like you Eastcoasters do .

Arguing over who got the best foods & museums is worse than a troll to me,it's craziness that being number 1 in everything is that serious.

Population in each city & state gives a better view on whats better & where most people choose to be,Numbers dont lie in that sense. But Q you seem to get very upset & emotional when Ny isn't the best at something Lol

Old 08-18-2015, 07:12 PM

366 posts, read 275,946 times
Anyways....

The point is pretty much this, more people around the globe will usually pick NYC as the more superior city, definitely over any other city in the US, and arguably over any other city in the world too.

Now do you have to agree with this point of view? Absolutely not. You can consider NYC an overrated hellhole, plenty of people do, more out of spite than anything else.

But the point still stands.

Last edited by KaneKane; 08-18-2015 at 07:37 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 07:13 PM

3,505 posts, read 2,751,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I don't think it is "widely considered" to be the best city in the world, actually. I think it is thought of widely as being right on par with London, Tokyo, and Paris.
Academics do rankings on this all the time--this is the general order. I'm in a lazy mood, so here's the Wikipedia link with the infamous GAWC ratings. Take those with a huge grain of salt, or even outright ignore them, but don't ignore the other rankings listed (AT Kearney, Foreign Policy, etc.).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

NYC is clearly the front-runner. Not up for debate if we're looking at this with objective metrics.

Now subjectively, of course, or if we're looking at average quality of life issues or other selective criteria, there's arguments to be made for other cities being "best" in the world. This is how Melbourne, Australia is the most liveable city in the world for 5 years in a row, and why the Swiss cities always rank so high.

Still, as a "total package" best city in the world, based on objective metrics, NYC is at the top.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 PM

3,505 posts, read 2,751,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
So having an opinion is trolling ?

I coulda swore trolling was calling names & derailing threads with absolute non sense, Eastcoasters disagreeing with me is fine by me,I just know what i know & some can't handle it like Qworld lol

Qworld, what's your problem with someone thinking Nyc isn't number 1 ? Nyc had it's time at the top last century & now it's a new day .

I see people from Florida & Texas boosting their state as the best,but it doesn't bother me none.....To me California is the best place in America, is just my opinion mr emotional lol

And also to me Los Angeles Is on Nyc level & other world cities, Which city is better is another opinion .I hold Nyc in high regards due to the power that is Manhattan but i also don't live in a bubble like you Eastcoasters do .

Arguing over who got the best foods & museums is worse than a troll to me,it's craziness that being number 1 in everything is that serious.

Population in each city & state gives a better view on whats better & where most people choose to be,Numbers dont lie in that sense. But Q you seem to get very upset & emotional when Ny isn't the best at something Lol
And "Eastcoasters, living in a bubble and Mr. Emotional" aren't forms of name calling? Lol Having an opinion is fine, but if you're going to actively argue it (ya know, the whole point of this forum), then you need to do it in a logical and coherent manner. Otherwise, your opinion is about as valid here as that guy on the street corner with the cardboard sign. Not the way to win hearts and minds

Old 08-18-2015, 07:33 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,017,924 times
Let's agree to disagree Quincy lol This thread is about Chicago which turned into L.A & London lmao

But on a serious note, Nyc is a world city that's been around longer than most so it should only go against cities from that same realm ,London, Toyko etc

Chicago is too small unfortunately.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:51 PM

211 posts, read 317,554 times
These threads are dumb and predictable. You get condescending comments like the one, "Chicago is cute" or just "Chicago is too small."

As I lifelong Chicagoan who travels to NYC a lot let me tell you, Da Truth. Both cities are fabulous and have gone through transformations throughout the last few decades.
I love NYC, not just Manhattan, but the entire city. I spend more time in the boroughs now than Manhattan for Manhattan has become a playground for the super rich. That is a good thing. Strong economy and crime is nothing like it was in the 80s.
That said, I would rather go to Belmont street in the bronx for italian than some crap sold on Mulberry that is getting engulfed by chinatown.

Now Chicago to me has better food when it comes to both hot dogs, italian beef, pizza, etc and upscale restaraunts.
Also I prefer Mich ave or 5th.

That said no one debates these cities are says nasty things except trolls on web forums. There are a lot of great cities out there in a lot of great countries. No better or worse, just different, which is an good thing!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:26 PM

1,397 posts, read 2,002,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
You get condescending comments like the one, "Chicago is cute" or just "Chicago is too small."
Sorry I wasn't aware I should've put "sarcasm" after I said Chicago was cute . It wasn't condescending at all. I specifically said Chicago is a global city and a true power house. I'll also add it's in a high tier for cities overall and most cities in America will never gain it's status.

Though I won't tip-toe around the FACT that it's still small when comparing to New York. How exactly is this condescending or "arrogant" to state the obvious? (Because it is a fact I suppose it should just be left unsaid?) It was tongue in cheek when I said cute, clearly we can't detect tone over a forum, but everytime a New Yorker/supporter says something we're seen as arrogant/everything is taken literal.

Furthermore:
Many people can prefer Target to Walmart though which one is more profitable?

Many people can prefer a BMW to a Lamborghini though which one is more high end?

Everything is debatable. But statistics (real numbers especially) will always tell all. Every ranking ever published can't possibly be rigged to favor NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
Anyways....

The point is pretty much this, more people around the globe will usually pick NYC as the more superior city, definitely over any other city in the US, and arguably over any other city in the world too.

Now do you have to agree with this point of view? Absolutely not. You can consider NYC an overrated hellhole, plenty of people do, more out of spite than anything else.

But the point still stands.
All. of. this.
Hence why in the beginning I said . . .

Quote:
It'll turn into general opinions and basically personal preference.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:55 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,325,105 times
If no one names you as a Troll. But you respond as your ID was mentioned? You admit some guilt? Or it would not mean a thing. Also When one post negative things meaning them? You do not get a out to then say one was sarcasm.....

I heard it before...... after a lengthy reply I posted... don't I know Sarcasm when I see it....

Realize no ID's mentioned. No name calling or personal attacks. As I said at the beginning of the thread.... what it turns to. Just as other threads NYC vs. Chicago. Not to mention other cities vs. Others.

But this is C-D. I enjoy defending my favorite city. But getting too easy to know what to expect from a thread.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:01 PM

211 posts, read 317,554 times
The statement so cute sounds like a condescending sorority girl. I have too many new york friends and colleagues, have been to the city over 100 times. New Yorkers dont talk like that, they honestly love their city and love other cities.
Everyone knows the city is our capital global city when it comes to fashion, news media, economic power, etc. That said, most people who are on the "over the top New York train" to let everyone know how great it is are usually from another part of the country who moved to Manhattan and want to make everyone knows it because they dont have much of a life outside of living in a city so they go on message boards to troll. That is the truth.

That said and back to the thread my favorite things about both cities
New York
Love the boroughs, Manhattan is amazing and their is so much history and beautiful architecture, but please dont shortchange yourself, go to Brooklyn(has changed a lot in 30 years!), Queens, parts of the Bronx. Staten Island I am not the biggest fan of. Also go across the Hudson, some of the best views of NYC is from Jersey city, go to Hoboken.
Love the museums, they are simply amazing
Thin Crust Pizza, my favorite is in Soho, Lombardi's margarheritta is a classic.
Belmont Street in the Bronx. Chicago's Little italy(Taylor street) is horrible due to white flight, NYC little italy is awful due to chinatown and cater to tourist with horrible italian food. If I am in New York I always head to Belmont Street in the Bronx.
Also a place I go to alot on business is Il tinello on 56th street I think, it is right off 5th.

Chicago
-Food, I know I am being biased but no city in America does food like Chicago. From hot dogs to pizza to steakhouses to popcorn(Garretts) to Italian Beef. Chicago is not a place to visit on a diet. The food here as I mentioned earlier is to me the best food city in the United States.

Parks and lakefront - No other city has better use IMO, than Chicago. Does not mean there are better cities, but everyone who visits should rent a car, start south by Hyde Park all the way North to Hollywood where LSD ends.

That is all from me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or