U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:33 PM

45 posts, read 54,510 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

How do Apex/Cary NC and Franklin TN compare? We are looking to move out of South Florida and have 2 young girls. We can't stand the year-round heat and generally rude people here, and Apex/Cary and Franklin TN keep coming up in our searches. How do the areas compare by way of schools, atmosphere, people, kid-friendly activities, etc? This move would really be about our girls, so looking for a nice wholesome place with low crime and lots of fun stuff to do with the kiddos.

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 06:36 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,624,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh575 View Post
How do Apex/Cary NC and Franklin TN compare?
I have a relative who has lived in both Cary and Franklin. She says they are very similar. Both are nice suburbs with great schools and lots of things for the kids to do. i think they might prefer Apex these days, as it is still a small town, while Cary is huge.

Franklin real estate may be slightly less expensive, but you would not go wrong with either.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:41 AM

Thank you for the response!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:43 AM

6,967 posts, read 5,191,475 times
I haven't lived in Franklin, but in my experience travelling there for work it is more aesthetically pleasing.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM

137 posts, read 193,351 times
Tenn. Is an amazing state for it's land...it's geology, and is so peaceful and diverse.....Yet society in TN.... in general, is plagued with prescription drug abuse. Nobody ever mentions the extreme amounts of hydrocodone, oxycodone, and alprazolam, that are abused in TN; and much of the U.S. but in my opinion. TN takes the cake for Rx drug abuse. It is an epidemic... in that sate.... and much of the rest of EVERYWHERE in the U.S.

But....I have to say, here in Raleigh/Apex/Cary/Holly Springs, people are at least not lying in ditches on medicaid drinking a mountain dew and snorting oxycodone. I am sure there is an extreme amount of said epidemic here, but at least here we don't necessarily see it reflected in every corner whilst buying groceries. In most of TN...the drug abuse saturates the populous. So.....If you are into that....go to TN....I am only being honest being that I escaped to teh triangle. It is a great place.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:42 AM

StaticMedia, would your opinion refer to Franklin, specifically?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:49 AM

137 posts, read 193,351 times
Yes. Having lived there, and many cities in TN, I have only seen the same types of behavior. However I have to say Franklin has maybe the least amount of degenerates compared to Nashville, but being that so many people come and go from Nashville, it is the same in Franklin.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:53 AM

66 posts, read 66,152 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

How do Apex/Cary NC and Franklin TN compare? We are looking to move out of South Florida and have 2 young girls. We can't stand the year-round heat and generally rude people here, and Apex/Cary and Franklin TN keep coming up in our searches. How do the areas compare by way of schools, atmosphere, people, kid-friendly activities, etc? This move would really be about our girls, so looking for a nice wholesome place with low crime and lots of fun stuff to do with the kiddos.

Any help is appreciated!
Franklin TN is two times larger than Apex, but I would say that maybe move to the Cary/Apex area. Now I'm not saying that because I am from around Raleigh, but coming from Florida I would imagine that you would be avid beachgoers and since Cary is in central NC, it is only a two and a half hour drive to the beach, and maybe three hours to the mountains. Now Cary/Apex does have a lower crime rate than Franklin. I think either one of these would be a great choice because both do have good schools. As far as job opportunities go, in Cary\Apex there is nearby RTP. Can you tell me a bit more about budgets and whether jobs, schools and activities are main priorities? If so can you elaborate on that? As far as diversity goes the triangle does have a lot of diversity (especially in Cary). Now I can't offer a lot of knowledge on Franklin, but as far as weather it does get humid in the Summer but every Winter it does snow. Maybe not a lot but it does happen. Last year we had two weeks out of school due to snow. I had friends from Palm Beach and they moved to Franklin first and loved it because of all the festivals here. Then they decided to try out the Triangle and they stayed here because of the good schools. Now restaurants and dining options will be found more in downtown, but I think Franklin may have more of a choice. Please tell me more of what you are looking for?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:50 AM

Thanks so much for the reply, RickyRayIV.

Actually my husband and I aren't big beach fans. We're very pale and burn easily. My husband would love to be close to mountains, and 3 hours does seem very doable. We've only ever lived in Florida and are welcoming a change. The lower crime rate in Apex/Cary is attractive. Franklin does seem safe as well, but it seems you have to buy a $350k+ home to be in the safest areas. Our budget would be anywhere from 250-300k, depending on the house. So to live in Franklin in a great school district, we'd probably have to be in a smallish townhome/condo, which I'm not thrilled about. I'd love for my girls to have a big backyard and at least 1500-1600 square feet inside. I think that's doable in Cary/Apex, from what I'm seeing on Trulia. Our rental budget would also be in the $1800 range, give or take a couple thousand. But the schools have got to be excellent.

My husband is a realtor with a tech background, and I work remotely. Really for us, safety, schools and kid-friendly activities are the priority. We'd like to surround ourselves with friendly people. A nice mall close by is a must, plus typical shopping and restaurants. A downtown would be cute. We're completely fine with suburbia. Snow is totally fine - I'd actually love for my girls to see it. Really, as long as most things are within a 20 minute drive, I'm happy.

Why did your Florida friends decide to leave Franklin? Was it the schools? Williamson County is supposed to be highly rated but of course the Cary/Apex area scores very highly too (which is one reason why it's on our list). Glad they found an area they like! We can't wait to do the same.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:26 AM

66 posts, read 66,152 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply, RickyRayIV.

Actually my husband and I aren't big beach fans. We're very pale and burn easily. My husband would love to be close to mountains, and 3 hours does seem very doable. We've only ever lived in Florida and are welcoming a change. The lower crime rate in Apex/Cary is attractive. Franklin does seem safe as well, but it seems you have to buy a $350k+ home to be in the safest areas. Our budget would be anywhere from 250-300k, depending on the house. So to live in Franklin in a great school district, we'd probably have to be in a smallish townhome/condo, which I'm not thrilled about. I'd love for my girls to have a big backyard and at least 1500-1600 square feet inside. I think that's doable in Cary/Apex, from what I'm seeing on Trulia. Our rental budget would also be in the $1800 range, give or take a couple thousand. But the schools have got to be excellent.

My husband is a realtor with a tech background, and I work remotely. Really for us, safety, schools and kid-friendly activities are the priority. We'd like to surround ourselves with friendly people. A nice mall close by is a must, plus typical shopping and restaurants. A downtown would be cute. We're completely fine with suburbia. Snow is totally fine - I'd actually love for my girls to see it. Really, as long as most things are within a 20 minute drive, I'm happy.

Why did your Florida friends decide to leave Franklin? Was it the schools? Williamson County is supposed to be highly rated but of course the Cary/Apex area scores very highly too (which is one reason why it's on our list). Glad they found an area they like! We can't wait to do the same.
Well my Florida friends wanted to move to an area with a cooler climate and as you said, kinder people. They loves Franklin TN but for the amount they paid and the house they were living in it wasn't suitable for their family of 7, and the crime was a lot. Also the schools weren't really the best (In their opinion) and there weren't that many activities. In NC it snows every year so that would be a good experience. There are many neighborhoods where you can get a house 2500+ sq ft with a large backyard in your budget. Cary downtown area is very charming and is less than a twenty minute drive from anywhere in Western Wake County. The Cary Towne Center isn't all that great but Southpoint Mall in Durham is about a 15 minute drive from Cary, and they also have Crabtree Mall in Raleigh which is a 20-25 minute drive. The Wake County School Dstrict is good but we are dealing with more and more people relocating to the Triangle (The Triangle is Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) and they are talking about reassigning some students to new schools that they will be building in the next couple of years. There is a town north of Cary called Morrisville so when people are talking about Cary, they are usually talking about the whole area east of Raleigh which is Morrisville, Cary and Apex. As far as activities go, there is plenty to do here. There is nearby Bond Park which is a large recreational center with a network of trails and a small lake people go fishing in. The Triangle is "infested" with biking and walking trails as we like to be fit. You will likely make friends here very easily. There are many museums in Downtown (Raleigh) within 20 minutes such as the Marbles Kids Museum (which is more like a Fun house) and the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. There is a popular city in western NC near the mountains called Asheville which is popular for the Biltmore Estate (A mansion that used to be a home of a wealthy famiy) and people out here always take a day trip out there to visit the national forest. The Triangle is a very diverse area so that will also be a great experience for them. Please tell me more about what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City