U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 AM
 
Location: MPLS/CHI
553 posts, read 447,038 times
Reputation: 382

Advertisements

What US city isn't inferior to NYC(urban and built environment wise)? I'm sure for most Americans (who are suburban by the way) Chicago is much larger/urban than what they are used to and is certainly comparable(a smaller version) to NYC. To people on CD and who are more knowledgeable on urban environments, this is not the case, but I'm sure it is for the majority of Americans.

To add to this, read Chicago reviews on Expedia, Travel Advisor, USNEWS and other travel sites and you will see plenty of "smaller version of NYC" statements. I am not saying that it is accurate, but that is how many people who have traveled to
Chicago view the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2015, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,724,081 times
Reputation: 7296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
What US city isn't inferior to NYC(urban and built environment wise)?
All are inferior to New York at streetlevel but at least New Orleans and San Francisco (as well as Montreal if we extend this to United States and Canada) give you something new/unique to stare at and experience while you walk around at streetlevel that New York cannot replicate.

So at least with them you can take it the "personal preference" route, something that you cannot do with Chicago off hand because it doesn't offer any advantages that are unseen in New York's streetscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 08:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,751 posts, read 39,675,031 times
Reputation: 14671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Chicago is inferior to New York at every level, especially street.
Depends on what you like in a city. It's clearly less busy if that's what you're going for. The X is better than Y usually gets annoying anyway, turning a preference into annoying boosterism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 09:00 AM
 
Location: MPLS/CHI
553 posts, read 447,038 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
All are inferior to New York at streetlevel but at least New Orleans and San Francisco (as well as Montreal if we extend this to United States and Canada) give you something new/unique to stare at and experience while you walk around at streetlevel that New York cannot replicate.

So at least with them you can take it the "personal preference" route, something that you cannot do with Chicago off hand because it doesn't offer any advantages that are unseen in New York's streetscape.
I can agree with this. However, as you stated to Red John, Chicago can be less busy, which would be a personal preference of some people. Large, grand, and busy, but not as busy as NYC. Also, some may say Chicago is more aesthetically pleasing and it doesn't hurt that we have immediate beach access in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,724,081 times
Reputation: 7296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
I can agree with this. However, as you stated to Red John, Chicago can be less busy, which would be a personal preference of some people. Large, grand, and busy, but not as busy as NYC. Also, some may say Chicago is more aesthetically pleasing and it doesn't hurt that we have immediate beach access in the summer.
This is all true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2015, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,221 posts, read 8,372,752 times
Reputation: 4649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Chicago is inferior to New York at every level, especially street.
Did you even read my question? No, of course not. We are not comparing superiority of cities, get with the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,724,081 times
Reputation: 7296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Did you even read my question? No, of course not. We are not comparing superiority of cities, get with the program.
Man, even when I write a one liner people still fail to comprehend what my post says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Chicago is inferior to New York at every level, especially street.
So what was your point? Chicago is inferior to New York at streetlevel. It is a fact too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,221 posts, read 8,372,752 times
Reputation: 4649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Man, even when I write a one liner people still fail to comprehend what my post says.

So what was your point? Chicago is inferior to New York at streetlevel. It is a fact too.
Let's break this down for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Chicago is inferior to New York at every level, especially street.
Inferior is the opposite of superior, so yes, you are comparing the superiority of two cities, AND you're comparing them at every level, and you're saying New York City is superior to Chicago at street level. You can call one inferior and superior all you want, but you're COMPLETELY missing the question that this thread I've created is about. Let me re-post it for your convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
To the casual pedestrian who has strolled the streets through the heart of Chicago and the heart of New York City, what are the biggest changes you'll notice at ground level? How does New York differ from Chicago when you're wandering its streets, checking out its shops, peering up at all of the super tall structures? Having never walked the streets of New York City, I'm curious what the biggest differences one may notice are.
There you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Earth
2,549 posts, read 3,116,121 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Man, even when I write a one liner people still fail to comprehend what my post says.

So what was your point? Chicago is inferior to New York at streetlevel. It is a fact too.
In quantity, NYC will have more street level because it's obviously a larger city (that's a no brainer) but as far as preference as to which is better that's pretty much subjective. You're going to have some people who will prefer Chicago at street level compared to NYC (vice versa) and that's a fact.

ColdAilment, I highly suggest taking the trip out to NYC. If money is an issue fly to Newark and stay on the NJ side. Message me if you want to know where to stay and how to get around on the cheap to get the best bang for the buck. Experiencing NYC in person is much better than what words on here can describe. Just see it from your own perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 09:15 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,683,467 times
Reputation: 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
In quantity, NYC will have more street level because it's obviously a larger city (that's a no brainer) but as far as preference as to which is better that's pretty much subjective. You're going to have some people who will prefer Chicago at street level compared to NYC (vice versa) and that's a fact.
Not urbanists, though. No one could highly value urbanism and then conclude that Chicago has remotely comparable street-level urbanity as NYC. If anything, the quality gap is bigger than the quantity gap.

If you prefer suburbs and sprawl, yeah, one could definitely prefer Chicago's street level feel, because its so much more auto oriented and sparse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top