Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times

Advertisements

eh, they're the two best cities in the U.S., and frankly, by a wide margin. When you look at these two cities, each additive attribute makes them stand out further and further from the crowd. These two are unique when combining the following and are typically 1-2 or at least 1-4 in all of them (NYC is 1 or 2 in all): urban density, public transit-oriented, vibrant, great culture (museums, music), architecture-driven, dining, business capitals, world cities, etc.

From a size/vibrancy standpoint, NYC is an absolute behemoth, and I think any rational Chicagoan who has visited NYC on enough occasions realizes just how much bigger NYC is than Chicago. NYC is an absolute beast, Chicago is merely "massive". That said, NYC pisses me off as much as I enjoy it, with the ridiculous garbage on the sidewalks (this is a *real* problem), horrible COL and general overcrowding. That said, NYC is quite easily the second best city in the U.S. and one of the top 4 in the World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:08 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
eh, they're the two best cities in the U.S., and frankly, by a wide margin. When you look at these two cities, each additive attribute makes them stand out further and further from the crowd. These two are unique when combining the following and are typically 1-2 or at least 1-4 in all of them (NYC is 1 or 2 in all): urban density, public transit-oriented, vibrant, great culture (museums, music), architecture-driven, dining, business capitals, world cities, etc.

From a size/vibrancy standpoint, NYC is an absolute behemoth, and I think any rational Chicagoan who has visited NYC on enough occasions realizes just how much bigger NYC is than Chicago. NYC is an absolute beast, Chicago is merely "massive". That said, NYC pisses me off as much as I enjoy it, with the ridiculous garbage on the sidewalks (this is a *real* problem), horrible COL and general overcrowding. That said, NYC is quite easily the second best city in the U.S. and one of the top 4 in the World.
How magnanimous of you . Does that make Chicago one of the top 3 cities in the world??

Old 09-17-2015, 02:19 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
How magnanimous of you . Does that make Chicago one of the top 3 cities in the world??
In order...

London
Paris
Chicago
New York City

Old 09-17-2015, 02:23 PM

574 posts, read 689,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
In order...

London
Paris
Chicago
New York City

Looks about right

Old 09-17-2015, 04:47 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Definitely all of the above. Also, I'd add there are no parking garages on the first few stories of buildings like there are in some Chicago highrises, in NYC its either retail or hotel lobbies/office entrances. As others have mentioned, NYC even at street level feels much denser, the skyscrapers are wall-to-wall. Thats why to some the Chicago skyline looks better, since skyscrapers are not lost in the sea, but they individually stand out.
About the architecture, while the old stuff definitely predominates, there are A LOT of new towers in NYC. Probably more than all other cities in the US combined if we are talking absolute number counts. In NYC they also build some new towers in old art-deco style, as far as I am aware, no other city builds art deco anymore.
Oh wow seriously!?!? There really does need to be an Art Deco Revival movement in architecture in this country. Much better than simple contemporary/post-modern glass IMO. Do you have pictures of the new buildings sporting Art Deco?

Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Oh wow seriously!?!? There really does need to be an Art Deco Revival movement in architecture in this country. Much better than simple contemporary/post-modern glass IMO. Do you have pictures of the new buildings sporting Art Deco?
sorry to interject but Philly is another city that has two Art Deco plans in the works that I almost like better than the more modern towers. One is an important. One of our most infamous empty buildings, The Divine Lorraine Hotel broke ground on a complete renovation. Finished in 1894, it is one of the oldest existing apartment buildings left in the city and it is amazing looking:

Divine Lorraine Project Breaks Ground, Here's How We Got Here

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/09/re...-new-life.html

The other is a new tower that is apart of an entire complex built by the Mormon church that includes a massive temple, a meeting house, and the 32 story tower:

http://media.philly.com/images/600*4...ormon13z-g.JPG

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/...ticleLarge.jpg

I am interested to see some one's in NYC though.. probably put little philly to shame lol.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:41 PM

271 posts, read 458,580 times
This may be off topic but the biggest difference to me was the food scene .. NYC had much more 24 hour food options and less franchise restaurants, the other thing I found food carts to be almost on every corner in Manhattan, in Chi-Town I didn't see any food carts maybe one in the Navy Pier. Overall NYC is crazier in a good way and more fun to explore, you'll definitely won't be bored after several trips but Chicago after one trip or two it kinda gets old if you're not into shopping.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:43 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
sorry to interject but Philly is another city that has two Art Deco plans in the works that I almost like better than the more modern towers. One is an important. One of our most infamous empty buildings, The Divine Lorraine Hotel broke ground on a complete renovation. Finished in 1894, it is one of the oldest existing apartment buildings left in the city and it is amazing looking:

Divine Lorraine Project Breaks Ground, Here's How We Got Here

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/09/re...-new-life.html

The other is a new tower that is apart of an entire complex built by the Mormon church that includes a massive temple, a meeting house, and the 32 story tower:

http://media.philly.com/images/600*4...ormon13z-g.JPG

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/...ticleLarge.jpg

I am interested to see some one's in NYC though.. probably put little philly to shame lol.
Divine Lorraine...Knew that name looked familiar!! I've always wanted to check it out when me and my best friend were up there, it's also right next to this cheesesteak joint that Eye really wanted to check out too. Glad to see it's finally coming back to life

That second building looks lovely too Looks kinda similar to the GE Building in Midtown Manhattan.

Deeply hope this will kickstart a trend in Art Deco Revivalism

Old 09-17-2015, 08:11 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
This may be off topic but the biggest difference to me was the food scene .. NYC had much more 24 hour food options and less franchise restaurants, the other thing I found food carts to be almost on every corner in Manhattan, in Chi-Town I didn't see any food carts maybe one in the Navy Pier. Overall NYC is crazier in a good way and more fun to explore, you'll definitely won't be bored after several trips but Chicago after one trip or two it kinda gets old if you're not into shopping.
My understanding is Chicago's Food Laws are too strict for most food carts. Most would be found in ethnic neighborhoods. But No shortage of eateries. The Loop business District is not a local restaurant location. Though locals know where they are. Most would be in River North, Near North in Downtown and Neighborhoods North and Northwest.

The Loop is more Lower Manhattan. Though the off Broadway theaters and Opera House and Chicago Symphony's home is there and the original Shopping street, State St. Now but for the still Iconic forml Marshall Fields Store, now a Macy's is there too. South Michigan Av has some Restaurants with outdoor Cafés too.
Like Times Square is Chains too. Off the street is some others. Basically catering to Tourist. Most not there to Eat higher-end most meals.

Chicago has few Outdoor musicians too. Some in a few spots seem slowed. Sadly the city's ands are tied in moving professional homeless like beggars.

But there is more to the city then the Loop. Just as more to even just Manhattan then Mid-town and Lower Manhattan.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:29 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Heres some from NYC:

220 CPS:

30 Park Place:

The Fitzroy:

Tribeca (the one on the left is brand new construction, the one on the right is the old one):

Just had to put in this thing also....a mix of classic cast iron and modern styles:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City