U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city?
Augusta, Georgia 29 72.50%
Jackson, Mississippi 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2015, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,157 posts, read 11,928,361 times
Reputation: 772

Advertisements

Augusta ranked second in the nation for high tech job growth during a five year period....

http://www.bayareaeconomy.org/media/...TechReport.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2015, 04:29 AM
 
27,765 posts, read 24,794,631 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Highest concentration per capita with 14% of its workforce in that industry....

Yes, Augusta is a smaller city that isn't an unknown thing if you want to compare it with all cities across the South, but the per capita concentration is pretty high.
That 14% figure is for healthcare in general, not biotech/medical research specifically. Obviously those sectors are related, but still very distinct. Lots of jobs in the latter are indicative of a highly tech-driven, knowledge-based economy along the lines of the Triangle, Boston, the DMV, etc. For the foreseeable future, Augusta will get its biggest boost in tech from the Cyber Command relocation more than anything.

Quote:
I don't have a source on 25%
You came up with it!!!!!! I used it as an example stating I didn't agree with it.
Can you do math? The combined economic impact for the fort and SRS, according to sources I have provided is $5 billion. That's roughly one-quarter of the metro GDP--24% to be exact.

Quote:
I have been touching on that point. That is what this whole argument is about. You have given the military the SRS way too much credit for its overall impact on Augusta's economy. I am directly addressing that ... pretty much this whole thread.
No you haven't been because otherwise, you would have conceded the point that the biotech/medical research sector in Augusta is supported by state funding going to GRU and that overall, the economy of both metros are supported by government funding similarly. This discussion is about Augusta compared to Jackson.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 08-25-2015 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 04:37 AM
 
27,765 posts, read 24,794,631 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I don't understand how someone can say the amount of NIH funds in Augusta are paltry. GRU only has 10,000 students and blows away many large universities across the US.

The NIH funds of GRU in Augusta are higher than West Virginia, Xavier, U of Tennessee, U of South Carolina, Washington State, U of Oregon, Notre Dame, U of Oklahoma, U of New Mexico, U of Memphis, U of Kansas, U of Houston, U of Colorado, U of Maryland, Princeton, U of Arkansas, Northwestern, U of Indiana, North Carolina State, Michigan State, Georgetown, Florida State, Columbia Univ, Arizona State, and Colorado State...
An apples-to-apples comparison would be to compare NIH funding at GRU to those of other medical universities specifically (and not just those universities that have medical schools) and in that respect, GRU falls short compared with a couple of its counterparts. But as I stated, that could change now that it is a comprehensive research university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 06:05 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 3,814,134 times
Reputation: 4289
I'll go ahead and give Augusta the edge in most things, but food is much better in Jackson, and I tend to prefer Missippians to Georgians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,103 posts, read 3,168,097 times
Reputation: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'll go ahead and give Augusta the edge in most things, but food is much better in Jackson, and I tend to prefer Missippians to Georgians.
Food is very similar in both states (southern) food that is. Outside of southern cuisine, I would think Augusta would have the edge being that's is more internationally known than Jackson.

You prefer Mississippians to Georgians? Georgia is a transient state and a great percentage of the people aren't from there. If you were to meet several native Georgians, it would be hard to separate the hospitality from Mississippians. I know this because I'm in both states often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,458 posts, read 7,262,868 times
Reputation: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That 14% figure is for healthcare in general, not biotech/medical research specifically. Obviously those sectors are related, but still very distinct. Lots of jobs in the latter are indicative of a highly tech-driven, knowledge-based economy along the lines of the Triangle, Boston, the DMV, etc. For the foreseeable future, Augusta will get its biggest boost in tech from the Cyber Command relocation more than anything.



Can you do math? The combined economic impact for the fort and SRS, according to sources I have provided is $5 billion. That's roughly one-quarter of the metro GDP--24% to be exact.



No you haven't been because otherwise, you would have conceded the point that the biotech/medical research sector in Augusta is supported by state funding going to GRU and that overall, the economy of both metros are supported by government funding similarly. This discussion is about Augusta compared to Jackson.
For christ sake you're dancing big time from post to post.

You come up with a number. I use the number as an example. You demand that I provide a source for said number and now you're saying you provided the sources and questioning my basic math skills.

I'm sorry you're taking the largest impact you saw listed. Between us we have 3 sources. You are using the largest one of the 3 and the other 2 match.

In ALL CASES it shows how ridiculously wrong you started off this thread, but you're trying to argue your way out of it.

... For your final paragraph I have been. The actual argument over Augusta's economy is a large part of that!!!! C'mon man... basic logic!!


As for this new debate over the health science part of Augusta's economy has gotten down right silly. You have made some downright inaccurate statements pretending like it doesn't exist when it is a big part of their city. Again... you stated something rather aggressive and incorrect and you're trying to argue your way out of it. This is so ridiculous at this point. And nothing you say about Boston, the research triangle or DMV is really irrelevant as to what AUGUSTA is. You're trying to use comparisons to bigger places that have other tech driven jobs and have solid economies themselves, but none of that changes what is important to Augusta's economy. It is really a moot point or a scapegoat argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 PM
 
27,765 posts, read 24,794,631 times
Reputation: 16479
Eh, I'm done with this discussion. Your's was the last word...be blessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2015, 05:42 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 3,814,134 times
Reputation: 4289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Food is very similar in both states (southern) food that is. Outside of southern cuisine, I would think Augusta would have the edge being that's is more internationally known than Jackson.
Mississippi, in my has more Gulf influence in its cooking i.e. spicier, more wild meats. Barbecue is also significantly better in MS, from my experience.

Quote:
You prefer Mississippians to Georgians? Georgia is a transient state and a great percentage of the people aren't from there. If you were to meet several native Georgians, it would be hard to separate the hospitality from Mississippians. I know this because I'm in both states often.
It's not that I dislike Georgians, but I'm a native Texan, so Mississippians are closer to home. It's as simple as that, but I do see your point. In Atlanta it is virtually impossible to tell who was from where. But in Augusta I could usually figure out who was a local and who was military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top