U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 07:56 AM

535 posts, read 360,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Dallas above Seattle, Atlanta and Miami? That's just silly.
Not silly at all.

Dallas offers a lot more all around.

DFW is a major air and railway hub.
It is a financial center for the region.
It's Economic output is about 150 B larger than these cities.
It's a major manufacturing, distribution and shipping center.

So Yes, I think DFW and Philadelphia are more important than those three, but not as important as BOSTON And Houston

Old 08-24-2015, 11:05 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,818,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Houston Metropoliteness area has been bigger than Miami for a while. Way before and after the 2010 census. Like I said you are mistaken.

2010 census:
Houston: 5,920,416
Miami: 5,564,635

2014 estimate:
Houston: 6,490,180
Miami: 5,929,819
Fair enough. I didn't check my sources thoroughly.

However, the urban areas of Dallas-Fort Worth AND Miami are still larger than Houston's and they are still younger cities, so your initial statement still doesn't hold water.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:09 AM

103 posts, read 110,448 times
Is Houston a top 5 city?

Ask yourself is San Jose or Phoenix a top 10 city..? Answer the 2nd question you'll get your answer for the first question.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:23 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,312,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Dallas above Seattle, Atlanta and Miami? That's just silly.
Dallas is above Seattle in importance absolutely.

Its on par with Atlanta and Miami.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:27 AM
BCB

1,006 posts, read 1,353,918 times
Houston may be top five economically-speaking, but there's no way in hell it's a top five city.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:02 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,437,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Houston may be top five economically-speaking, but there's no way in hell it's a top five city.
I have said this before, but here's the thing about Houston, as far as people around the nation and their perception of it go: People in Texas know and appreciate Houston as a great city with a lot to offer, but to most people OUTSIDE of Texas, it's usually not even the first city that comes to mind when they think of Texas, but Houston has nothing unique, memorable, or marketable to make outsiders think about it or remember it. I mean, just think about it. Here's what different big Texas cities have that are notable and memorable to people outside of Texas:

San Antonio: The Alamo, the Riverwalk, the Spurs, has a Seaworld and a Six Flags.

Dallas: The Cowboys, popular 70's/80's TV show that has forever ingrained it in pop culture memory, city where JFK got killed (not exactly positive, but definitely memorable), known as a fashion hub with some of the best shopping in America, plenty of big companies relocating their headquarters to DFW (jobs, diverse economy), has a Six Flags.

Austin: State Capital. MUSIC!!! BBQ!!! Awesome college vibe. The current media darling of Texas. Seen as one of the "cool, progressive" cities in America along with places like Portland, Seattle, and Nashville.

Houston: ................?

See what I mean? Now, I know that Houston has plenty of great things and can list them, but to people outside of Texas, most of them draw a blank, compared to other major cities in Texas. That doesn't mean that nothing is going on in Houston, but Houston just has no FOCUS that it can use to market itself and make it stand it and be memorable to people around the country. Houston people don't like when you point that out---especially in comparison to most of the other big Texas cities---but that's just how people outside of Texas see it, and that's why Houston is not really recognizable to many people outside of Texas and not really on their radar, even though it is a great city that's important, has a lot to offer, and looks like it should be a Top 5 city on paper in a lot of statistical categories.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:25 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,059,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I have said this before, but here's the thing about Houston, as far as people around the nation and their perception of it go: People in Texas know and appreciate Houston as a great city with a lot to offer, but to most people OUTSIDE of Texas, it's usually not even the first city that comes to mind when they think of Texas, but Houston has nothing unique, memorable, or marketable to make outsiders think about it or remember it. I mean, just think about it. Here's what different big Texas cities have that are notable and memorable to people outside of Texas:

San Antonio: The Alamo, the Riverwalk, the Spurs, has a Seaworld and a Six Flags.

Dallas: The Cowboys, popular 70's/80's TV show that has forever ingrained it in pop culture memory, city where JFK got killed (not exactly positive, but definitely memorable), known as a fashion hub with some of the best shopping in America, plenty of big companies relocating their headquarters to DFW (jobs, diverse economy), has a Six Flags.

Austin: State Capital. MUSIC!!! BBQ!!! Awesome college vibe. The current media darling of Texas. Seen as one of the "cool, progressive" cities in America along with places like Portland, Seattle, and Nashville.

Houston: ................?

See what I mean? Now, I know that Houston has plenty of great things and can list them, but to people outside of Texas, most of them draw a blank, compared to other major cities in Texas. That doesn't mean that nothing is going on in Houston, but Houston just has no FOCUS that it can use to market itself and make it stand it and be memorable to people around the country. Houston people don't like when you point that out---especially in comparison to most of the other big Texas cities---but that's just how people outside of Texas see it, and that's why Houston is not really recognizable to many people outside of Texas and not really on their radar, even though it is a great city that's important, has a lot to offer, and looks like it should be a Top 5 city on paper in a lot of statistical categories.
Houston has NASA and Space Center, powerful energy industry (Energy Capital of the world), Astrodome, Rockets, Cougars, San Jacinto monument (site of victory earning Texas its independence), Beyonce, and is a musical center for Southern Hip Hop, allowing the subgenre to be put right on the map. All of what I mentioned can be just as memorable as the other things you named for the other Texas cities, perhaps even more.

While people may draw a blank when they think of Houston, that doesn't mean that the city has no focus. In actuality, its just that these aspects of the city don't see much emphasis, usually in favor of the economic Energy Industry aspect (which is well-known in and of itself). The people of Houston know this, and do all they can to get it out, though pride, knowledge, etc, but it can usually falsely be interpreted as "boosting," or "settling for less." But, in any rate, looking at how things are now, I'd say the city's "overlooked" days are coming to an end.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,826,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Houston has NASA and Space Center, powerful energy industry (Energy Capital of the world), Astrodome, Rockets, Cougars, San Jacinto monument (site of victory earning Texas its independence), Beyonce, and is a musical center for Southern Hip Hop, allowing the subgenre to be put right on the map. All of what I mentioned can be just as memorable as the other things you named for the other Texas cities, perhaps even more.

While people may draw a blank when they think of Houston, that doesn't mean that the city has no focus. In actuality, its just that these aspects of the city don't see much emphasis, usually in favor of the economic Energy Industry aspect (which is well-known in and of itself).
I guess the point is that none of these things really draw people to Houston as a place to visit and explore, nor does it really evoke much in the way of imagery; the one exception is probably NASA. As a place to live, you can get everything you need and then some. I don't think Houston can or should do anything about it though; it just kinda is what it is.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,437,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

While people may draw a blank when they think of Houston, that doesn't mean that the city has no focus. In actuality, its just that these aspects of the city don't see much emphasis, usually in favor of the economic Energy Industry aspect (which is well-known in and of itself). The people of Houston know this, and do all they can to get it out, though pride, knowledge, etc, but it can usually falsely be interpreted as "boosting," or "settling for less." But, in any rate, looking at how things are now, I'd say the city's "overlooked" days are coming to an end.
But see, you are mostly naming stuff that doesn't jump out at people and make them want to visit or think about Houston, or stuff that really isn't relevant to tourism and national recognition, and that's exactly my point. I live in Texas, so I get the things you are listing. But people who don't live in Texas will not get them.

Last edited by Tex Luthor; 08-24-2015 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 12:35 PM

4,287 posts, read 3,355,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalim123 View Post
Why is Houston often Overlooked as a Leader in Growth and Stability? Its Overall Economy is doing far better(by a large margin) than many other Economies. Is Houston the Model City that Most Cities need to follow?
I think it is overlooked for a number of factors:

1. Location: It's not in an important location for distribution and commerce, meaning the North East corridor, West Coast, or Middle America. Sure it is an important shipping port/international business city, but most Americans tend not to notice it's importance due to it's location. Playing devil's advocate, the same could be said for Seattle and Denver, however, those cities have made extra efforts to diversify their economies and media presence.

2. Media Presence: Houston has very poor media presence. Los Angeles, Chicago, and even Atlanta get much more attention. If no one hears about the city, how can they understand it's importance?

3. Coolness Factor: Most people just don't see Houston as a cool place to live. Being in Texas, a negatively viewed state doesn't help either. Cities such as Austin, Nashville, Atlanta, Portland, Seattle, Washington DC, all smaller than Houston are viewed as cool trendy cities. Austin has helped changed Texas's extremely conservative wild west don't %= with me image, but it's still Texas.

4. Capital City: Houston is not a capital city

5. Low Density Development : The lack of zoning has hurt Houston's image, just like Phoenix.

While I like Houston, and don't buy into the negative perceptions mentioned above, those perceptions are real in the minds of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or