U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Reputation: 10181

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes, but what's also factual is the significant difference between a location not having anything marketable at all (which is how you worded it originally), versus a location having many marketable aspects, just that they aren't promoted often. It may seem to detailed, but such nuances have to be distinguished to ensure proper discussion.



And that's just it; Houston has many more good, decent aspects, far beyond the economy, or low cost of living; but because those two aspects always receive the lion's share of promotion when Houston is mentioned, the other aspects never get covered, and people are fooled into thinking that Houston only has low COL and economy as good aspects.

Houston can grow a wide variety of fruits, many more options than vast majority of cities in this country, due to mild winters. You don't have many cities in the US where sugar cane, banana fruits, citrus, and loquats can be cultivated, unlike in Houston; such subtropic fruits are quite tasty, and are a luxury that can't be afforded in colder climate cities of the country. The weather is yet another factor that the city never receives credit for; yes, summers can be hot and humid, but winters are mild, milder than the vast majority of the country. Even the summers themselves aren't that bad, featuring frequent thunderstorms to quench and cool the air, breezes from the sea, and plentiful natural shade, all providing relief. Bad drivers and bad traffic can be found in any city.



The NASA connection, Astrodome/related aspects, and Texas history (San Jacinto monument) all can contribute towards making enough of a brand to attract, at least, a decent amount of visitors. The only reason Austin is seen as cooler than Houston is because its aspects were promoted more, then the visitors soon followed.



Truth. Yet another thing that causes the city to be overlooked; the people of the city don't know how to put forth their city. You always have people in the metro calling the neat, historical gems of the city "ghetto," just because the area has a large percentage of blacks and hispanics, and the buildings have a worn, historic look to them.



Yes it does.



I'm not a Houston native, but from what I see, the city does indeed have unique aspects about it, but it often isn't given credit for them, or such aspects never really are focused on when Houston is being discussed (due to COL and Economy stealing the show).



You know what, I don't think the connected Houstonians at the street level are looking for the city to be practical; they want it to evolve out of the current situation it is in right now. However, the traits that can really make an attractive brand for the city are rarely emphasized; magazines always talk about COL and economy, as if that's all the city has. As a result, the Houstonians who actually have a clue about the city have to correct outsiders who are fooled into believing that Houston has nothing unique about it.



Same argument can be used say that cities like Atlanta, Philly, and Denver are boring.



Not quite.



Easy; Chicago has history, urban neighborhoods, and architecture, but NYC and Philly both offer the same thing, but on a far more impressive scale; both NYC and Philly both have richer history than Chicago, both have more historic, dense urban neighborhoods, and both have more impressive historic architecture. Now do you see?



For LA, you just named neighborhoods, two being by the beach. For SF, you named a pier, a waterfront, a district, and a prison. For Chicago, you described a pier, a river tour, and an architecture tour. A lot of other places have those things as well. You have to do better than that.



Southern Galveston Island beach:
http://imagesus.homeaway.com/mda01/9...ff86634ac.1.10
Beach Villa - Pointe West Resort - SUPER... - HomeAway Galveston

It's nice and warm to swim in for much of the year, unlike in California, where the water is too cold for many year-round.
You really have an over inflated opinion of this place, but Im kind of jealous of you. You seem to think Houston is the single best place on earth so by living here you achieve the height of existance for yourself. The "subtropical paridise" tag says it all.

Youre being exceptionally dense by thinking that Houston would offer a similar experience for a tourist as Chicago, LA, SF, etc.

 
Old 08-24-2015, 04:21 PM
 
57 posts, read 32,632 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You really have an over inflated opinion of this place, but Im kind of jealous of you. You seem to think Houston is the single best place on earth so by living here you achieve the height of existance for yourself.

Youre being exceptionally dense by thinking that Houston would offer a similar experience for a tourist as Chicago, LA, SF, etc.
You said unique. .the things you mentioned are not...better sure, bigger, sure, more abundant sure..but hardly unquie
 
Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,309,582 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Why do so many people expect every city to have some sort of touristy draw? Houston stands on its own without a cliche niche.. Does the number of people i siting Houston from the UK have any effect on why it's overlooked/underestimated? Or are yall imyinv tourism equates to recognition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Thank you!
Where Houston excels is what it offers to RESIDENTS. Houston doesnt offer anything unique to VISITORS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemass55 View Post
And let's be honest most US city ..not that different from each other. .the place you mentioned. .have broader reputations..but seriously how long does the ave tourist actually spend in time square before they are over it, Hollywood walk of fame? ..most can't even afford rodeo..Maybe you spot a b list celeb. ..not bashing just poointing out these places have better reps but really most tourist end up doing the same thing they could do in any city really....eat, take in local attractions. Rake pics..go to local nightlife...return to hotel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemass55 View Post
Oh stop it happens in every city thread..about city x compared to city z..and outside of city data...99% of the people in those city don't give a damn what someone outside thinks
But in reality they do... or they themselves are not happy to be in their city. We all have PRIDE in someplace we like and are PROUD OF. We do want to hear that from others too.
Apparently, Tourist need not see Houston as a destination. They merely created a city about and for its own.
Most want feedback and to here their city at least.... MET or better yet SURPASSED Expectations.
Especially those cities that have had negative stereotypes about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And that's just it; Houston has many more good, decent aspects, far beyond the economy, or low cost of living; but because those two aspects always receive the lion's share of promotion when Houston is mentioned, the other aspects never get covered, and people are fooled into thinking that Houston only has low COL and economy as good aspects.

Easy; Chicago has history, urban neighborhoods, and architecture, but NYC and Philly both offer the same thing, but on a far more impressive scale; both NYC and Philly both have richer history than Chicago, both have more historic, dense urban neighborhoods, and both have more impressive historic architecture. Now do you see?

For LA, you just named neighborhoods, two being by the beach. For SF, you named a pier, a waterfront, a district, and a prison. For Chicago, you described a pier, a river tour, and an architecture tour. A lot of other places have those things as well. You have to do better than that..
Most do not like long post as ours...

I see from you always less then impressed with Chicago in numerous threads it's mentioned. I'd say it is something personal.... but I disagree that Philly is more impressive. Outside of Downtown Philly. Far too many walled blocks of Row Homes of each block with all the same style. A Philly visitor to Chicago. Created a thread to COMPLEMENT the Cities neighborhoods with SUCH VARIETIES OF HOUSING IN THE SAME BLOCK.... UNLIKE Philly they said you do not see that.... I realize you may be from Philly originally perhaps. By calling it Philly....I WOULD SAY PHILLY AND HOUSTON IN HOUSING ARE TOTALLY POLAR OPPOSITES......

For Comparisons.
Houston Tourism: Best of Houston, TX - TripAdvisor 474 hotels reviewed 589 Things to do reviews 7,579 restaurants reviewed
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html Philadelphia 83 hotels reviewed 737 Things to do reviews 3,910 restaurants reviewed
Chicago Tourism: Best of Chicago, IL - TripAdvisor .....178 hotels reviewed 1,354 Things to do reviews 8,611 restaurants reviewed
Los Angeles Tourism: Best of Los Angeles, CA - TripAdvisor 339 hotels reviewed 1,165 Things to do reviews 9,045 restaurants reviewed
San Francisco Tourism: Best of San Francisco, CA - TripAdvisor 265 hotel reviews 1,297 Things to do reviews 5,189 restaurants reviewed
New York City Tourism: Best of New York City, NY - TripAdvisor 469 hotels reviewed 3,083 Things to do reviews 12,288 restaurants reviewed

Make of the numbers what you will..........

Last edited by steeps; 08-24-2015 at 05:53 PM..
 
Old 08-24-2015, 07:11 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,054,309 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You really have an over inflated opinion of this place, but Im kind of jealous of you. You seem to think Houston is the single best place on earth so by living here you achieve the height of existance for yourself. The "subtropical paridise" tag says it all.

Youre being exceptionally dense by thinking that Houston would offer a similar experience for a tourist as Chicago, LA, SF, etc.
I am not from Houston. I do, however, have an affinity for the place because I have visited family in the city frequently over the years, and I am a student at Rice University. I don't know how you are gathering that I think Houston is the "best place on the Earth;" I simply am refuting commonly held fallacies people have about the place. The "subtropical paradise" tag refers to the whole coastal South, so it includes not only Houston, but also New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, Charleston, etc, and relates to the fact that I like the general climate that is seen in the coastal region of the South.

I also never said that Houston would offer the tourist experiences on par with Chicago, LA, SF, etc; you must not be reading carefully. What I said was that the particular argument you were using to say that Houston can be overlooked (because everything it has can be found in other cities), can be applied equally for many other cities in the country. For instance, Philly; it has rich history, both in architecture and events, urban parks, and walkable neighborhoods. But you see, cities like NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, etc also have rich historical architecture and events, urban parks, and walkable neighborhoods. So why go to Philly when you can go to those other dense, walkable cities I mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
But in reality they do... or they themselves are not happy to be in their city. We all have PRIDE in someplace we like and are PROUD OF. We do want to hear that from others too.
Apparently, Tourist need not see Houston as a destination. They merely created a city about and for its own.
Most want feedback and to here their city at least.... MET or better yet SURPASSED Expectations.
Especially those cities that have had negative stereotypes about them.

Most do not like long post as ours...

I see from you always less then impressed with Chicago in numerous threads it's mentioned. I'd say it is something personal.... but I disagree that Philly is more impressive. Outside of Downtown Philly. Far too many walled blocks of Row Homes of each block with all the same style. A Philly visitor to Chicago. Created a thread to COMPLEMENT the Cities neighborhoods with SUCH VARIETIES OF HOUSING IN THE SAME BLOCK.... UNLIKE Philly they said you do not see that.... I realize you may be from Philly originally perhaps. By calling it Philly....I WOULD SAY PHILLY AND HOUSTON IN HOUSING ARE TOTALLY POLAR OPPOSITES......

For Comparisons.
Houston Tourism: Best of Houston, TX - TripAdvisor 474 hotels reviewed 589 Things to do reviews 7,579 restaurants reviewed
Philadelphia Tourism: Best of Philadelphia, PA - TripAdvisor Philadelphia 83 hotels reviewed 737 Things to do reviews 3,910 restaurants reviewed
Chicago Tourism: Best of Chicago, IL - TripAdvisor .....178 hotels reviewed 1,354 Things to do reviews 8,611 restaurants reviewed
Los Angeles Tourism: Best of Los Angeles, CA - TripAdvisor 339 hotels reviewed 1,165 Things to do reviews 9,045 restaurants reviewed
San Francisco Tourism: Best of San Francisco, CA - TripAdvisor 265 hotel reviews 1,297 Things to do reviews 5,189 restaurants reviewed
New York City Tourism: Best of New York City, NY - TripAdvisor 469 hotels reviewed 3,083 Things to do reviews 12,288 restaurants reviewed

Make of the numbers what you will..........
But even less people are fond of your convoluted, Chicago-boosting posts that a translator is needed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemass55 View Post
You said unique. .the things you mentioned are not...better sure, bigger, sure, more abundant sure..but hardly unquie
This is exactly the thing the critics of Houston do not understand, which prevents proper identification of the problem, and thus less ease at overcoming it.

Before I go on further, I put forth a challenge for you all; name a "cool," nationally/internationally-renown city, and list some things that make said city renown.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 08-24-2015 at 07:21 PM..
 
Old 08-24-2015, 07:25 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,309,582 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I am not from Houston. I do, however, have an affinity for the place because I have visited family in the city frequently over the years, and I am a student at Rice University. I don't know how you are gathering that I think Houston is the "best place on the Earth;" I simply am refuting commonly held fallacies people have about the place. The "subtropical paradise" tag refers to the whole coastal South, so it includes not only Houston, but also New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, Charleston, etc, and relates to the fact that I like the general climate that is seen in the coastal region of the South.

I also never said that Houston would offer the tourist experiences on par with Chicago, LA, SF, etc; you must not be reading carefully. What I said was that the particular argument you were using to say that Houston can be overlooked (because everything it has can be found in other cities), can be applied equally for many other cities in the country. For instance, Philly; it has rich history, both in architecture and events, urban parks, and walkable neighborhoods. But you see, cities like NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, etc also have rich historical architecture and events, urban parks, and walkable neighborhoods. So why go to Philly when you can go to those other dense, walkable cities I mentioned?

But even less people are fond of your convoluted, Chicago-boosting posts that a translator is needed for.
Seems you claim to be misunderstood too by others.....
Guess TripAdvisor alone... is among needing a translator also? Is among your not comprehending? Was it my Chicago always lessening comment? Or really just Grammar and Chicago as my favorite city and DEFINATELY not yours?

I did think TripAdvisor's #'s of Things to do..... comments are TOURIST FEEDBACK. Do say something. Perhaps you also disagree with that?

I realize some view my Chicago comments and comparisons as if homerism... but I merely adopted it as if my hometown the 6 years a couple decades I lived there and visit yearly. But Houston does expect and some salivate in surpassing Chicago city proper's population. But in its Downtown... and aspects of its neighborhoods and its Lakefront setting and other ones.... NO. But I do believe Houston could do a lot more to get what it has? Out there. I note too Toronto already did in 2013. It is growing and booming too. Perhaps in a better way then Houston has?

Now Houston is trying to infill and redo better......

Last edited by steeps; 08-24-2015 at 08:42 PM..
 
Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
4,683 posts, read 2,919,580 times
Reputation: 3256
OK, so I'm flying into your metropolis Thursday. Tell where to go for the best fast-food burger in town. Seriously, I want to know. Northside would be better for me.
 
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 PM
 
27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I also never said that Houston would offer the tourist experiences on par with Chicago, LA, SF, etc; you must not be reading carefully. What I said was that the particular argument you were using to say that Houston can be overlooked (because everything it has can be found in other cities), can be applied equally for many other cities in the country. For instance, Philly; it has rich history, both in architecture and events, urban parks, and walkable neighborhoods. But you see, cities like NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, etc also have rich historical architecture and events, urban parks, and walkable neighborhoods. So why go to Philly when you can go to those other dense, walkable cities I mentioned?
I'd say the difference with Philly is that much of its history is tied to the birth of the United States as a country in a way that's not true of any other city, so it's not just history in a general sense. Also, Philly is one of a handful of big cities in the country where you can get the combination of rich history, a classical urban experience, and well-known unique things that make the city what it is (e.g., cheesesteaks). So the level of intensity makes a difference being that Philly is in the small elite class of American cities when it comes to history, architecture, urban parks, walkable neighborhoods, etc.
 
Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,054,309 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Seems you claim to be misunderstood too by others.....
Guess TripAdvisor alone... is among needing a translator also? Is among your not comprehending? Was it my Chicago always lessening comment? Or really just Grammar and Chicago as my favorite city and DEFINATELY not yours?

I did think TripAdvisor's #'s of Things to do..... comments are TOURIST FEEDBACK. Do say something. Perhaps you also disagree with that?

I realize some view my Chicago comments and comparisons as if homerism... but I merely adopted it as if my hometown the 6 years a couple decades I lived there and visit yearly. But Houston does expect and some salivate in surpassing Chicago city proper's population. But in its Downtown... and aspects of its neighborhoods and its Lakefront setting and other ones.... NO. But I do believe Houston could do a lot more to get what it has? Out there. I note too Toronto already did in 2013. It is growing and booming too. Perhaps in a better way then Houston has?

Now Houston is trying to infill and redo better......
Sorry, translator broke, looks like I can't understand you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepontraveling View Post
Wondering why Philadelphia was singled out here. It's not any more or less interesting than its peers with the exception of NYC. Chicago, DC, Philly and Boston all have about equal appeal, maybe a bit more for Chicago because its larger but Chicago is more in the tier of urbanity that DC, Philly, SF and Boston are than NYC.

NYC is truly in a league of its own.
I'm not slighting Philly at all; I am just illustrating why some of the arguments people are making on this thread are weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say the difference with Philly is that much of its history is tied to the birth of the United States as a country in a way that's not true of any other city, so it's not just history in a general sense. Also, Philly is one of a handful of big cities in the country where you can get the combination of rich history, a classical urban experience, and well-known unique things that make the city what it is (e.g., cheesesteaks). So the level of intensity makes a difference being that Philly is in the small elite class of American cities when it comes to history, architecture, urban parks, walkable neighborhoods, etc.
See, but like you mention, other Northeast corridor cities offer pretty much the same experience as Philly.
 
Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepontraveling View Post
My vote for most overlooked city is Philadelphia. Its sandwiched between NYC and DC so thats definitely a big reason why but its no less one of the best urban experiences in the entire country.

Top 5 easily. Boggles my mind how it is in the same tier of cities like DC and Boston yet some seem to overlook it.

I think the marketing there needs to do more.

Houston may have a better GDP and similar population, but thats all it offers over that tier of cities. It can't match the cultural sophistication, the food, the history, the urban experience, the sports, the public transit, etc. of those cities so thats a big reason why Houston gets overlooked.
It definitely can match Philly, Boston, or DC on the cultural sophistication and food. Not on the other things though.
 
Old 08-24-2015, 09:44 PM
 
27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
See, but like you mention, other Northeast corridor cities offer pretty much the same experience as Philly.
Yeah, but that's three other cities, plus Chicago and San Francisco and that's pretty much it--a small elite class. But dozens of cities give you the same type of experience as Houston more or less in terms of history, architecture, urban neighborhoods, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top