U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 PM

734 posts, read 289,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Youre being exceptionally dense by thinking that Houston would offer a similar experience for a tourist as Chicago, LA, SF, etc.
Touring LA..it's the first place I ever witnessed a human eating from a dumpster.

Touring SF..the only place I've stepped in human excrement on a sidewalk.

Haven't been to Chicago.

Houston..one of five places on earth where you can see a Saturn V rocket like the one that transported humans to the moon. "Houston" - still the first word spoken from the moon.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:45 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,057,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, but that's three other cities, plus Chicago and San Francisco and that's pretty much it--a small elite class. But dozens of cities give you the same type of experience as Houston more or less in terms of history, architecture, urban neighborhoods, etc.
But in the end, the same idea still applies; other cites offer what Houston and Philly offer. Really, other cities offer what other cities offer. That's why it is stupid to make the claim that "Houston is overlooked because what it has is seen in other cities in the country."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Touring LA..it's the first place I ever witnessed a human eating from a dumpster.

Haven't been to Chicago.

Houston..one of five places on earth where you can see a Saturn V rocket like the one that transported humans to the moon. "Houston" - still the first word spoken from the moon.
Let the fools keep thinking that Houston has nothing unique about it. It will only prevent the real problem from being identified.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:09 PM

18,227 posts, read 25,920,077 times
So market it. One of Houston's nicknames is Space City but hardly anyone thinks of Houston and it's connection to space. Nobody cares that it was the first word spoken from the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepontraveling View Post
My vote for most overlooked city is Philadelphia. Its sandwiched between NYC and DC so thats definitely a big reason why but its no less one of the best urban experiences in the entire country.

Top 5 easily. Boggles my mind how it is in the same tier of cities like DC and Boston yet some seem to overlook it.

I think the marketing there needs to do more.

Houston may have a better GDP and similar population, but thats all it offers over that tier of cities. It can't match the cultural sophistication, the food, the history, the urban experience, the sports, the public transit, etc. of those cities so thats a big reason why Houston gets overlooked.
don't agree there. I don't think Houston is that far behind cultural sophistication either.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:18 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,057,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So market it. One of Houston's nicknames is Space City but hardly anyone thinks of Houston and it's connection to space. Nobody cares that it was the first word spoken from the moon.
Well, to be fair, many people from the US and other countries immediately bring up the "We have a problem" catchphrase when Houston is mentioned often. So it isn't entirely that "nobody cares." But, I digress, you are correct, Houston has many things, like NASA, that are rich with imagery; they just need more exposure.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:57 AM

27,763 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
But in the end, the same idea still applies; other cites offer what Houston and Philly offer. Really, other cities offer what other cities offer. That's why it is stupid to make the claim that "Houston is overlooked because what it has is seen in other cities in the country."
The issue is one of degree though. Philly is one of five or six cities in its class in the U.S. in terms of history, architecture, and urbanity, while Houston is one of maybe, I dunno, 25, 30, 40? So yeah, the claim makes sense.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:03 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,678,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post

Haven't been to Chicago.

And Houston is still a bore compared to those other cities, at least in terms of visitor appeal.

Why would a city be interesting because there's a rocket sitting in some random exurb? Or because an astronaut uttered the city name? If he uttered "Walla Walla" or "Sacramento" would everyone want to go there instead of Paris or NYC or London?

Old 08-25-2015, 06:17 AM

4,827 posts, read 2,217,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
There are specific things to each city that draw tourists. Someone visiting LA will want to go to Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, etc. Someone visiting SF, will want to visit the pier, the Embarcadero, Chinatown, Alcatraz, etc. Someone visiting Chicago would want to see the Navy Pier, a river tour, an archetecture tour, etc.

Houston does not have enough unique things to draw huge numbers of tourists.

We have world class food, but so do a lot of places.
Were a very international city, but so are a lot of cities.
We have exceptional cultural insitutions, but so do a lot of cities.
We have amazing parks, but so do a lot of cities.
You are speaking the truth here. Nobody wakes up and decides "I want to visit or move to Houston without a reason".

People who move to Houston either do it for a career or family situations. They don't do it for the food or arts or amazing parks. Houston is a very generic city.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:36 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You are speaking the truth here. Nobody wakes up and decides "I want to visit or move to Houston without a reason".

People who move to Houston either do it for a career or family situations. They don't do it for the food or arts or amazing parks. Houston is a very generic city.
My argument has always been that Houston is an exceptional city for living because it offers a host of exceptional amenities for a very low cost of living. However, I cannot see why a tourist would go out of their way to come here over many of the other places in the U.S. That doesn't mean that if someone has a reason to be here, they can't have a great time. I have friends that visit me and we always have fun together. But if they came alone, it would be very difficult for them.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 AM

103 posts, read 110,327 times
Not trying to knock Houston but like I said in an older post Houston to me is similar to Phoenix. Both have high population but that is only due to it's total land size. To me it is dull just like Phoenix. Smaller cities like Boston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Seattle, Miami, and Vancouver for example has just enough to offer as Houston and in some cases many more.

Take for example San Jose, Phoenix or San Antonio. They all have a higher population than Atlanta, Boston, Miami, New Orleans or Seattle but that don't mean they are more important or blows those cities out the water. You rarely hear people say San Jose, Phoenix or San Antonio are more important than cities like Atlanta, Boston, Miami, New Orleans, Seattle or Vancouver in terms of recognition, respect and importance to this country. Houston to me are similar to cities like San Jose, Phoenix or San Antonio where smaller cities can outshine them. Yeah it's a top 5 city but how big is the land size? HUGE! I am not trying to sound mean but if you compare Houston to Los Angeles, Chicago, and the Bay Area...Houston is dull and somewhat boring.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 AM

27,763 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoolguy View Post
Not trying to knock Houston but like I said in an older post Houston to me is similar to Phoenix. Both have high population but that is only due to it's total land size. To me it is dull just like Phoenix. Smaller cities like Boston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Seattle, Miami, and Vancouver for example has just enough to offer as Houston and in some cases many more.

Take for example San Jose, Phoenix or San Antonio. They all have a higher population than Atlanta, Boston, Miami, New Orleans or Seattle but that don't mean they are more important or blows those cities out the water. You rarely hear people say San Jose, Phoenix or San Antonio are more important than cities like Atlanta, Boston, Miami, New Orleans, Seattle or Vancouver in terms of recognition, respect and importance to this country. Houston to me are similar to cities like San Jose, Phoenix or San Antonio where smaller cities can outshine them. Yeah it's a top 5 city but how big is the land size? HUGE! I am not trying to sound mean but if you compare Houston to Los Angeles, Chicago, and the Bay Area...Houston is dull and somewhat boring.
It seems to me that San Antonio provides a more cohesive tourist experience than Phoenix, San Jose, and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or