U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 09:09 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,807,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's exactly the point. Houston has no Times Square or French Quarter. Locals avoid those places because they're besieged with tourists. Houston doesn't have such places.
Right, so why does it seem like many of you are claiming Houston needs these types of attractions in order to be a great city? My argument is that Houston deserves to be recognized for what it already has.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:09 AM

18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
And the funny thing about the French Quarter is that many local New Orleanians avoid it at all costs; same with New Yorkers and Times Square. Both groups of locals will be quick to tell you that the most amazing parts of cities are the non-touristy neighborhoods. I think that's how one has to look at Houston.
Ok. They may avoid it. But it's there. What's there in Houston?

Quote:
You said unique. .everything you listed I can find shades of in Houston or other cities Maybe not to the extent but I can find..which was my point. .Yall were the one screaming about unique. .so unless I missed the definition of the word..I stand by my statement
Where is there a french quarter in Houston? Where is there a South Beach in the Houston metro area? Where is there anything of San Francisco in the Houston area? Is Houston's downtown even remotely comparable to Chicago's downtown? A couple museums in Houston beats the dozens of museums in Washington DC and the Mall? Where is there a Times Square in Houston?

Unique being only one of it's kind. What does Houston have to offer to most tourists that is unique to Houston to make people visit more than once? Or even at all?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:11 AM

57 posts, read 32,636 times
Quote:
That's exactly the point. Houston has no Times Square or French Quarter. Locals avoid those places because they're besieged with tourists. Houston doesn't have such places.
Why do those places do so well...because all there lives..they have been bombarded with images of those places that make outsiders feel like that the place to be...perception

Old 08-25-2015, 09:14 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Right, so why does it seem like many of you are claiming Houston needs these types of attractions in order to be a great city? My argument is that Houston deserves to be recognized for what it already has.
Houston doesn't need anything. It's fine as-is.

But it isn't a tourist city, and doesn't have unique attributes. That's the whole point of this thread. There's no French Quarter, or Creole heritage, or jazz legacy, or architectural uniqueness, etc. It's mostly WalMart/office park/tract home sprawl.

No one is going to visit to see a thousand Home Depots, or to see the latest in McMansion sprawl, or to see the newest freeway interchange.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemass55 View Post
Why do those places do so well...because all there lives..they have been bombarded with images of those places that make outsiders feel like that the place to be...perception
No, it has nothing to do with this. Your supposition that the French Quarter is the same as Katy, TX, the only difference is "hype", is completely absurd.

There are unique places, and then there are generic places. Venice, or Florence, or Barcelona, or Paris, now those places are unique. Houston is generic.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:17 AM

3,220 posts, read 3,576,952 times
So back to my post asking.. Does the number of tourists/visitors really correlate with the recognition of a city? Because if so Orlando must be off the charts.. Yet for some reason it's not?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:18 AM

57 posts, read 32,636 times
Quote:

But it isn't a tourist city, and doesn't have unique attributes. That's the whole point of this thread. There's no French Quarter, or Creole heritage, or jazz legacy, or architectural uniqueness, etc. It's mostly WalMart/office park/tract home sprawl.

No one is going to visit to see a thousand Home Depots, or to see the latest in McMansion sprawl, or to see the newest freeway interchange.
You keep saying french quater but in truth...there are dozens of southern cities with similar architecture as old and some older than the French Quarter. .the difference the French Quarter is just better known

Old 08-25-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
You keep saying french quater but in truth...there are dozens of southern cities with similar architecture as old and some older than the French Quarter. .the difference the French Quarter is just better known
Name one of these "dozens of southern cities with similar architecture as old and some older than the French Quarter". Just one, please.

You can't, because there aren't any. And that's, in part, why New Orleans is such a popular destination.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 AM

18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
Are you going to get the same atmosphere as the French quarter as some of these supposedly dozens of Southern cities?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:22 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,807,303 times
Quote:

Ohhh, so you've never been to Houston. Nevermind, then. I thought you knew what you were talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or