U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
No offense... but WHY would anyone try to put some block in Galveston or even Mobile Al? On any close replacement to New Orleans French Quarter? There is ..
New Orleans La.--French Quarter
Savannah GA.---- Historic District
Williamsburg Va.- Colonial District

Just a few TRULY Historic cities Tourist go to see. If Galveston has some area the survived the 1900 Great Hurricane.... great. But not on par to Those other cities scope and renown for....
You need to reread what he said. Replacement was nowhere in there.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Sorry, translator broke, looks like I can't understand you.

I'm not slighting Philly at all; I am just illustrating why some of the arguments people are making on this thread are weak.

See, but like you mention, other Northeast corridor cities offer pretty much the same experience as Philly.
TripAdvisor needs no translator.... Dear address that.

It is DESPERATION to try to LESSEN other cities with PROVEN HUGE TORIST NUMBERS.

AGAIN You BROUGHT PHILLY IN? Is it your original Hometown?

If NOLA101 Elevates Chicago over Houston.... HOUSTON... THERE IS A PROBLEM... LOL. She normally isn't as kind..

I see the WEAKEST ARGUMENTS are getting OFF OF HOUSTON. To lessen other cities as ALL THE SAME....

Old 08-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 10 days ago)

4,648 posts, read 4,484,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Now you all can make up whatever you want but here is proof......

2014 Annual Visitors.....People lie, numbers don't

Orlando - 60 million visitors
NYC - 55 million visitors
Chicago - 48 million visitors
Atlanta - 48 million visitors (No this doesn't include the airport travelers or else it would have been 149 million)
Los Angeles - 43 million visitors
Las Vegas - 41 million visitors
Dallas - 21 million visitors
San Fran - 18 million visitors
Houston - 15 million visitors
Miami - 14 million visitors
New Orleans - 9 million visitors
Can you please include the link to this site ^ ?

This site counts International visitors It shows Houston above Atlanta and DFW.

20 Most Popular U.S. Cities Among International Travelers in 2013 – Skift

This Forbes list shows Houston as the 8th most visited US city with over 31 million visitors annually.

List: America's Most-Visited Cities - Forbes

different sources seem to tell different stories so please show the links..

Last edited by Jack Lance; 08-25-2015 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 AM

27,749 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
No offense... but WHY would anyone try to put some block in Galveston or even Mobile Al? On any close replacement to New Orleans French Quarter? There is ..
New Orleans La.--French Quarter
Savannah GA.---- Historic District
Williamsburg Va.- Colonial District

Just a few TRULY Historic cities Tourist go to see. If Galveston has some area the survived the 1900 Great Hurricane.... great. But not on par to Those other cities scope and renown for....
My mention of Galveston was for possibly having some buildings with similar architectural styles as what can be found in the French Quarter, namely Spanish Colonial architecture. I know Mobile has some, but I think that may be it for the most part. St. Augustine maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
There is a difference in scales, but the same exact idea still applies; there are other cities that offer what Philly offers, so why go to Philly.
Well every city actually doesn't offer what Philly offers when it comes to several specific things. When it comes to Philly's place in the history of the U.S., no other city can say it is the actual birthplace of the U.S., the very first capital of the U.S., where our two most important national documents were drafted, where our flag originated, and still has the historical sites intact that testify to this. Philadelphia also served as the epicenter of the abolitionist movement like no other city did, and again, it still has the historic sites that testify to this. These are its real claims to fame, and the other stuff (parks, neighborhoods, etc.) is the icing on the cake. So it's the combination of this history with other assets that make Philly what it is. This simply isn't the same as Houston.

Quote:
Because such a strong connection to space literally oozes with imagery, which can captivate people to wanting to explore such a vibe. Just one of many unique things about Houston.
You act as though Houston is actually located IN space, LOL. I agree that Houston could capitalize on that better but again, it doesn't so very few people go to Houston just to see NASA stuff, except perhaps schoolchildren on field trips.

Quote:
What does Charleston have that is unique, when the same experience can be had in Savannah, just a state away?
LOL, these two cities are similar but are hardly clones of each other but I won't get into that here. The two don't offer the exact same sort of experience.

Quote:
He does bring up very good points. Perhaps you need to develop your logical reasoning more, so you can understand them.
Boy please, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my logical reasoning. To question WHY so many people visit San Francisco and Los Angeles is just ludicrous.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,201 times
Originally Posted by afdinatl⤵

Orlando - 60 million visitors
NYC - 55 million visitors
Chicago - 48 million visitors to 50 million
Atlanta - 48 million visitors (No this doesn't include the airport travelers or else it would have been 149 million)
Los Angeles - 43 million visitors
Las Vegas - 41 million visitors
Dallas - 21 million visitors
San Fran - 18 million visitors
Houston - 15 million visitors
Miami - 14 million visitors
New Orleans - 9 million visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Can you please include the link to this site ?

This site counts International visitors It shows Houston above Atlanta and DFW.
20 Most Popular U.S. Cities Among International Travelers in 2013 – Skift

This Forbes list shows Houston as the 8th most visited US city with over 31 million visitors annually.
List: America's Most-Visited Cities - Forbes

different sources seem to tell different stories so please show the links..
CHICAGO... hit 50 million last year. 47 million domestic visitors. Sadly it still trails BIG TIME in INTERNATIONAL Visitors over NYC, Miami, Orlando, LA and SF. But Chicago's DOMESTIC VISITORS Are higher them many of them.

Chicago Breaks 50 Million Mark for Visitors | TravelPulse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

NYC hit 55 million with more International Tourist.
The other cities HIGHER IN TOURIST It is because of their MUCH HIGHER INTERNATIONAL TOURIST COUNT. Not Domestic...

Can't resist..
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...t-of/22125499/

Granddaddy O'Hare Airport Takes back Busiest Airport from Atlanta Hartsfield. In Number of Landings and Take-offs. Not passenger count though. Opening a new Runway DECADES fighting for helps.

Last edited by steeps; 08-25-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 10 days ago)

4,648 posts, read 4,484,372 times
Quote:
CHICAGO... hit 50 million last year. 47 million domestic visitors. Sadly it still trails BIG TIME in INTERNATIONAL Visitors over NYC, Miami, Orlando, LA and SF. But Chicago's DOMESTIC VISITORS Are higher them many of them.

Chicago Breaks 50 Million Mark for Visitors | TravelPulse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

NYC hit 55 million with more International Tourist.
The other cities HIGHER IN TOURIST It is because of their MUCH HIGHER INTERNATIONAL TOURIST COUNT. Not Domestic...
I'm not really singling out Chicago or any other city. I am just showing that in just about every list showing top visitor, and tourist destination cites, Houston shows up, many times in the top 10, and almost always in the top 20. So any notion that Houston is this unheard of singular destination seems to me to have been proven inaccurate.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:00 AM

103 posts, read 110,244 times
According to trip advisor there are more things to do in smaller cities like Boston, Washington DC, Seattle and Portland than there is to do in Houston and these cities are smaller than Houston in terms of land area. So I am not taking back from what I said about Houston being similar to Phoenix because of high population due to land area. In my opinion both Houston and Phoenix are dull and boring for a city their size. Like I said earlier it's no knock on Houston but for those defending it so hard and saying it's in the same ballpark as San Francisco, Los Angeles or the Bay Area is just dumb. I know everyone is prideful of where they're from but sometimes you just got to admit some cities just has more to offer than your own.

Things To Do
Seattle (775)
Portland (768)
DC (646)
Boston (642)
Houston (589)

Old 08-25-2015, 11:13 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,431,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
My argument has always been that Houston is an exceptional city for living because it offers a host of exceptional amenities for a very low cost of living. However, I cannot see why a tourist would go out of their way to come here over many of the other places in the U.S. That doesn't mean that if someone has a reason to be here, they can't have a great time. I have friends that visit me and we always have fun together. But if they came alone, it would be very difficult for them.
Yep. Not to turn this into yet ANOTHER Houston vs. Dallas thread, but just for example, Dallas is in the same boat as Houston when it comes to it being a big, major city that offers plenty for residents, but doesn't necessarily offer a unique experience or amount of things for tourists. And as you said about Houston, that doesn't mean Dallas is boring and there's nothing at all to do there, but there's not much to draw a person there just to visit or tour the city. But with that being said, even Dallas has more recognition than Houston outside of Texas, and do you know why? Because even though it's decades old, Dallas DID at least at SOME POINT do enough marketing of the city and its image to have a lasting effect to the point where many people around the nation and the world still connect certain images and brands---like the TV show and the Cowboys----to the city when they see or hear about it, even though that show ended years ago and the Cowboys haven't won a Superbowl in about as long. When has Houston---at ANY point in its history---ever marketed itself to outsiders or created a unique brand or image that people could connect to Houston?

Old 08-25-2015, 11:23 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,431,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It seems to me that San Antonio provides a more cohesive tourist experience than Phoenix, San Jose, and Houston.
It sure does. That's just another example of what I mean when I say that despite being the largest, Houston isn't even the most popular or most (tourist) visited city in Texas, which is part of why it gets overlooked outside of Texas. But it's up to Houston to fix that, if people there don't like being overlooked; market the city more and in better, more creative ways, and make it more tourist friendly. San Antonio has done an EXCELLENT job of that, even though Houston is overall the better city to actually live in for most people. Most people from outside of Texas---especially those with families and definitely those from around the world---think "San Antonio" when they think about visiting Texas for tourism and to get what they feel will be an authentic Texas experience, not Houston, Dallas, or even Austin. That's why San Antonio is the most tourist visited city in Texas.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:27 AM

6,555 posts, read 7,304,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'm not really singling out Chicago or any other city. I am just showing that in just about every list showing top visitor, and tourist destination cites, Houston shows up, many times in the top 10, and almost always in the top 20. So any notion that Houston is this unheard of singular destination seems to me to have been proven inaccurate.
You're confusing tourists with visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or