U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 05:14 PM
JJG

12,949 posts, read 18,445,464 times

Advertisements

The most overlooked in America is in Texas.

But it ain't Houston...

Old 08-23-2015, 05:18 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,822,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The most overlooked in America is in Texas.

But it ain't Houston...
I think Fort Worth just suffers from "second city syndrome". Relative to its size, I don't think its anymore overlooked than Fort Lauderdale is.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:34 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I think Fort Worth just suffers from "second city syndrome". Relative to its size, I don't think its anymore overlooked than Fort Lauderdale is.
Oh no...?

Tell me, how many times do you hear mention of Fort Lauderdale WITHOUT Miami?

Now compare that to the times so you typically hear about Ft. Worth WITHOUT the mention of Dallas first...

Old 08-23-2015, 05:43 PM

3,220 posts, read 3,584,728 times
Quote:
Oh no...?

Tell me, how many times do you hear mention of Fort Lauderdale WITHOUT Miami?

Now compare that to the times so you typically hear about Ft. Worth WITHOUT the mention of Dallas first...
well, Fort Lauderdale is a prime waterfront beach city in Florida. one of the top tourism states in the country. Fort Lauderdale sees around 13 million visitors a year. Ft Worth sees half that, at 6.5 million.

i agree with Gunion that Ft Worth suffers second city syndrome, living in the shadow of Dallas. but when you look at a list of US cities by population, Ft Worth is surrounded by cities like Indianapolis, Columbus, Charlotte, and El Paso. is Ft Worth really anymore overlooked than those cities?

Old 08-23-2015, 05:47 PM

621 posts, read 503,312 times
If Houston is overlooked, I would guess it's because the city's geographical location doesn't exactly inspire. People move there for jobs and decide it's not a bad place to live, but it's not like they wake up one day "dreaming" of moving to Texas, unless of course they're Chris Rea.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:54 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i agree with Gunion that Ft Worth suffers second city syndrome, living in the shadow of Dallas. but when you look at a list of US cities by population, Ft Worth is surrounded by cities like Indianapolis, Columbus, Charlotte, and El Paso. is Ft Worth really anymore overlooked than those cities?
Do you have to explain what and where those cities are?
Are any of those cities constantly seen as suburbs or even nonexistent, even?

I don't think Indy, Charlotte, El Paso, Columbus, or HOUSTON have to worry about any of that.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:12 PM

103 posts, read 110,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Seattle doesn't even belong in a discussion about cities feeling foreign from the rest of the US.
You seriously never been to Seattle if you think that. The U.S. Census Bureau proclaimed Seattle's 98118 as “the most diverse zip code in America" and throughout the city you will see immigrant communities. It also has an International District, huge Asian population.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:23 PM

103 posts, read 110,570 times
Back on topic...The reason I think Houston is overlooked is because it feels less active and slower paced than cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco...Heck even Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Boston, ect. are more active and fast paced and sometimes gets more recognition and I can understand why they are getting more love. Imo Houston is like Phoenix. Both cities with large populations due to big open land but at the same time feels suburban rather than a big city.

I feel the main reason why Houston's population is so high is because of the city limit size...Cities such as Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Oakland, Baltimore, and Long Beach, all have a smaller population but those cities feel more urban and fast paced than Houston. If Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis, Long Beach, Baltimore, and Minneapolis were the same size as Houston in terms of city limits and size those cities will all have a higher population than Houston right now. Houston just has more land that's it.

Last edited by dacoolguy; 08-23-2015 at 06:47 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 18 days ago)

4,655 posts, read 4,498,775 times
Quote:
Do you have to explain what and where those cities are?
Are any of those cities constantly seen as suburbs or even nonexistent, even?

I don't think Indy, Charlotte, El Paso, Columbus, or HOUSTON have to worry about any of that.
JJG Its your (Fort Worth's) own fault. What has FW done to separate itself from Dallas ? You lend your population to Dallas to make it bigger than Houston you cheer all professional sports teams associated with Dallas, so why would you think that people would somehow see Fort Worth as anything other than an extension of Dallas?

As far as Houston being overlooked I think there is ambivalence if not outright antipathy towards Houston for several economic and historical reasons not to mention Houston's seeming lack of desire to create and control its own media message. Houston seems to want to lay low until one day it emerges in the spot it always thought it should be.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:41 PM

535 posts, read 362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm getting an error from that link. I'm assuming you're using 2014 estimates. I was referencing 2010 census numbers.
Houston Metropoliteness area has been bigger than Miami for a while. Way before and after the 2010 census. Like I said you are mistaken.

2010 census:
Houston: 5,920,416
Miami: 5,564,635

2014 estimate:
Houston: 6,490,180
Miami: 5,929,819
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or