U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 9 days ago)

4,645 posts, read 4,480,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Since Those attempting to stand up for Houston. A couple trying to lessen other city's attractions as all city's have the same... Just saying Houston has and not presenting WHAT? A list of great attractions, but for The Space Command Center....

I will give something to help them say Houston is making attempts to bolster its image and Tourism.

This sight gives what Houston is doing and making strides to increase Tourism from 14.8 million last year. To 20 million by 2018.
Houston Sets Sights on 20 million visitors by 2018 | Houston News & Stories

Though 14 million 2014 is small, compared to Chicago's 50 million 2014 .... Houston dreams to overtake.... shows it needs to do more.

Houston first... reinventing its Convention District.
Project Overview

Houston Tourism Summit next month.
Houston, Texas Tourism | Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau

Downtown Houston's advancements to make a more global city in investment
Downtown Houston
This initiative does not pretend to try to overtake anybody it is merely a desire to increase tourism and visitor revenue for the Houston area from where it is now.

The 14 million number in the Chronicle article, is probably understated for the purpose of increasing the chances of the appearance of success. One thing that is shown in all these various numbers by various links posted in support of this or that, in this thread, is the numbers are fungible to say the least. I posted a link to a Forbes article that states there are over 30 million visitors to the Houston area annually. So once again it has been proven that Houston is a well traveled and visited location.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:41 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Both cities might be similar, more or less, today, but I suspect Dallas has a shorter history of "tolerance" than Houston does, where the history was, perhaps, more seasoned. Thus, Dallas is often said to be intolerant by many, even though that is not the case today.
This may very well be true. All I know is that in 2015, if there is a difference, its miniscule.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:46 AM

516 posts, read 356,208 times
Wow, didn't expect this thead to grow so fast.

My 2 cents is that Houston isn't hurting for travelers. Key word is travellers.

There are leisure travelers.
That would include sight seers, shopping travelers, and entertainment traveler's.

There are also non leisure travelers.
That would include business travelers, conventioneers, etc.

Houston is not hurting in travelers.
Last I check it was top 8 in the country.

Two areas it is working on is the touristy folks and the convention going folks.

Anyway, lots of money is spent there on shopping, dining, and other areas of hospitality. San Antonio may be the more popular tourist brand, but hey, Houston isn't as reliant on Tourism as San Antonio is.

A more cohesive package would do wonders. But unfortunately the things that are interesting to experience are too spread out.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 AM

6,554 posts, read 7,300,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Well, just like Philly has its own unique brand of history that makes it special, the history, and amenities that are seen in Houston have their own unique brand found only in Houston, and nowhere else.

So it still stands that the argument for Houston "not being unique because other cities have what it has," is bogus.
Duh! Who can argue that a city like Philadelphia can offer tourists more compelling history than any other city . . . say Houston? Philly only served as the home of the Declaration of Independence and the drafting of the constitution, sites such as Independence Hall and Valley Forge, historical figures such as Ben Franklin and Betsey Ross and icons such as the Liberty Bell. You are so right!! How can these pull in tourists when going up against such sites as the beautiful Allen's Landing and the site of the first (though perhaps worst) domed stadium?

And while I'm at it, you've gotten me thinking about Houston's fervor for historical preservation. Philly has the silly habit of preserving its historical neighborhoods fully intact. Houston is much more innovative and efficient. Houston has located a handful of such properties in its beautiful Sam Houston Park and allowed developers to raze the rest in favor shiny and new townhouse developments built to last a decade or two. Philly, on the other hand, only offers block after block of the of the same old tired housing style:

I mean, come on! Some of these are over 200 years old! See how zoning can destroy a city's character. Philly even converted its old rail station into an indoor market with over 80 local vendors (Home - Reading Terminal Market). Philly needs to be more progress-focused and tear down eyesores as old and as tired as these :

(my pix)

It's probably why tourists to Philly need to see the city via open air bus tours, duck boats, Segways, horse and carriage and most backward of all - walking tours. The horrors! Philly needs to offer tourists the same manner of exploration as Houston - a rental car and a GPS!

Yes, Philly has a lot to learn when compared with a city as rich in history as Houston. Thanks backwards Anthony for setting me straight.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:09 AM

7,323 posts, read 8,981,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Duh! Who can argue that a city like Philadelphia can offer tourists more compelling history than any other city . . . say Houston? Philly only served as the home of the Declaration of Independence and the drafting of the constitution, sites such as Independence Hall and Valley Forge, historical figures such as Ben Franklin and Betsey Ross and icons such as the Liberty Bell. You are so right!! How can these pull in tourists when going up against such sites as the beautiful Allen's Landing and the site of the first (though perhaps worst) domed stadium?

And while I'm at it, you've gotten me thinking about Houston's fervor for historical preservation. Philly has the silly habit of preserving its historical neighborhoods fully intact. Houston is much more innovative and efficient. Houston has located a handful of such properties in its beautiful Sam Houston Park and allowed developers to raze the rest in favor shiny and new townhouse developments built to last a decade or two. Philly, on the other hand, only offers block after block of the of the same old tired housing style:

On the other hand, Philly has "block after block of the same old, tired housing style" in which the homes are practically falling down, in the advanced stages of decay. I don't care much for Houston sprawl and lack of preservation, but Philly isn't immune from the lack of preservation..

I mean, come on! Some of these are over 200 years old! See how zoning can destroy a city's character. Philly even converted its old rail station into an indoor market with over 80 local vendors (Home - Reading Terminal Market). Philly needs to be more progress-focused and tear down eyesores as old and as tired as these :

(my pix)

It's probably why tourists to Philly need to see the city via open air bus tours, duck boats, Segways, horse and carriage and most backward of all - walking tours. The horrors! Philly needs to offer tourists the same manner of exploration as Houston - a rental car and a GPS!

Yes, Philly has a lot to learn when compared with a city as rich in history as Houston. Thanks backwards Anthony for setting me straight.
n the other hand, Philly has "block after block of the same old, tired housing style" in which the homes are practically falling down, in the advanced stages of decay. I don't care much for Houston sprawl and lack of preservation, but Philly isn't immune from the lack of preservation..

Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM

6,554 posts, read 7,300,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
n the other hand, Philly has "block after block of the same old, tired housing style" in which the homes are practically falling down, in the advanced stages of decay. I don't care much for Houston sprawl and lack of preservation, but Philly isn't immune from the lack of preservation..
I only disagree with you to the extent that Houston is model in historical preservation. Everyone know that. Thinks for your insightful insight into Philadelphia, however.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 AM

27,723 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
I don't think urban decay falls under "lack of preservation" in terms of how we usually think of that. Lack of preservation usually refers to more of a disregard for historical buildings, which means that they too easily meet the wrecking ball in favor of new development or parking. Market forces in full swing in post-industrial cities (and even cities without that sort of history) is a different sort of beast.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I only disagree with you to the extent that Houston is model in historical preservation. Everyone know that. Thinks for your insightful insight into Philadelphia, however.
"Insightful insight"...yeah, sure.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think urban decay falls under "lack of preservation" in terms of how we usually think of that. Lack of preservation usually refers to more of a disregard for historical buildings, which means that they too easily meet the wrecking ball in favor of new development or parking. Market forces in full swing in post-industrial cities (and even cities without that sort of history) is a different sort of beast.
I understand the difference, but the "preservation" part becomes more immediately important when living, breathing human beings might prefer to live in buildings that are well-fortified and maintained, as opposed to falling down in a state of disrepair.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:07 AM

4,265 posts, read 7,189,266 times
Quote:
I understand the difference, but the "preservation" part becomes more immediately important when living, breathing human beings might prefer to live in buildings that are well-fortified and maintained, as opposed to falling down in a state of disrepair.
Many of those living, breathing human beings would love to live in housing that is in a better state-of-repair. It's not for a lack of desire, but a lack of economic vitality in certain areas--again, due to market forces in the post-industrial era.

Perhaps we should reserve our privileged, middle-class judgement when we couldn't begin to understand what it's like to live in poverty-stricken neighborhoods, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or