U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,309,582 times
Reputation: 1483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I think this is some CD BS thread to try and downplay Houston (and Texas) as usual. IMHO its better than some of the cities its often compared too, even without public transportation....
No one is downplaying all of Texas. In fact some place Dallas and Austin over Houston in appeal and choice to visit. It is just in comparison to other cities. Houston gets far less tourist for its size then many smaller in metro populations or City-wise too.

I kept bringing in Chicago. Because it is that city's ....City proper population. Houstonians relish to surpass in the future .... yet Chicago gets 50 million Tourist/Visitors to Houston's 14 million. I posted a city sight previously with that number.

No one is saying. Houston has nothing worthwhile. Just it suffers from a stereotype of sprawl and Ok syndrome I will call it.... Advertising its assets will help and a VISIT HOUSTON CAMPAIGN. If Downtown Houston fills in in more Walkable and Urban and connecting its attractions? It will gradually succeed as Downtown LA is aiming for......

 
Old 08-31-2015, 05:07 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,309,582 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It's a ridiculous argument. Houston's relative age has nothing to do with its relative lack of density, urbanity or tourist appeal. When a city was founded is irrelevent to when it grew/developed, anyways.

NYC is a very young city. It wasn't an important city until the late 1800's. The idea that NYC is important because it's "old" and Houston just needs "time" is ridiculous. In the global scheme of things they are both very young cities. Houston isn't really building anything in an urban manner, so it isn't like it will ever "catch up" with more urban cities. If Houston were founded in 1500 or 1900 it wouldn't make much of a difference. The issue is when it developed, not when it was founded.

LA is technically much older than Chicago, yet Chicago looks and feels much older. The relative differences in urban environment have zero to do with the founding dates of cities.
Oh NOLA... There you go again. I disagree Chicago.... ESPECIALLY DOWNTOWN. LOOKS OLDER . THEN EVEN LA. Streeterville is virtually all new. The New East Side is. Enough newer buildings in the Loop. To give it a GREAT MIX. But OLD NO.

Really NOLA? Compared to Eastern cities.... honestly. . Do you say NYC looks older then LA?

I say Pictures say a lot. Who looks at this and sees a OLD CITY??? These pics are 6yrs old too.



Last edited by steeps; 08-31-2015 at 05:23 PM..
 
Old 08-31-2015, 05:50 PM
 
27,710 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Oh NOLA... There you go again. I disagree Chicago.... ESPECIALLY DOWNTOWN. LOOKS OLDER . THEN EVEN LA. Streeterville is virtually all new. The New East Side is. Enough newer buildings in the Loop. To give it a GREAT MIX. But OLD NO.

Really NOLA? Compared to Eastern cities.... honestly. . Do you say NYC looks older then LA?

I say Pictures say a lot. Who looks at this and sees a OLD CITY??? These pics are 6yrs old too.

Yes, Chicago feels older and more historic than LA. This really shouldn't even be a debatable point.
 
Old 08-31-2015, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Southeast TX
868 posts, read 1,356,261 times
Reputation: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
No one is downplaying all of Texas. In fact some place Dallas and Austin over Houston in appeal and choice to visit. It is just in comparison to other cities. Houston gets far less tourist for its size then many smaller in metro populations or City-wise too.

I kept bringing in Chicago. Because it is that city's ....City proper population. Houstonians relish to surpass in the future .... yet Chicago gets 50 million Tourist/Visitors to Houston's 14 million. I posted a city sight previously with that number.

No one is saying. Houston has nothing worthwhile. Just it suffers from a stereotype of sprawl and Ok syndrome I will call it.... Advertising its assets will help and a VISIT HOUSTON CAMPAIGN. If Downtown Houston fills in in more Walkable and Urban and connecting its attractions? It will gradually succeed as Downtown LA is aiming for......
Well, I don't understand the Chicago and Houston debate. Houston will never pass the population of Chicago, at least not in my lifetime, and the cites a very different, I don't see the comparison. Also, I think "overlooked" is a poor word choice to describe Houston, defiantly not a overlooked city. Lacking in certain aspects, especially urbanity, but not overlooked. Now I agree with Philly posters, Philadelphia is a overlooked city, it sits in a prefect location, has a superior public transportation system, and a somewhat youthful vibe to it. Yet, its overlooked. I mean REALLY overlooked. The public transportation is probably the 2nd best in the country IMO. Yet it has a stamp of being crime ridden and filthy (which i have yet to see, though some areas are a little sketchy, i still fell fairly safe). Great place to visit because you can use REAL public transportation to take you to Baltimore, New York City and Washington DC. Talk about a vacation...where you don't have to use a car at all. Even to go to most of the suburbs.

I travel heavily, if it ain't New York, Philadelphia, Chicago or DC, I'M RENTING A CAR. The other systems in the country are a joke and you will waste a lot of time depending on them. There are not built like these four. Which brings me back to Houston being compared to other/similar cities. I just don't see the MAJOR differences like others describe. I mean its car-centric, (just like the other cities its compared too- Atlanta, Dallas etc.). I just don't get the hype. I even seen it being compared to Phoenix . But, I will agree with you with marketing, Houston should turn to Dallas for help in that department. Dallas and Austin have over-hyped their cities in a sense, but as a life long Texan its very laughable, those cities are definitely not better than Houston. When folks compare Houston to other cities, trying to taunt it "like its such a odd place" its very hilarious. Throwing it with cities like Phoenix (which is shade), come really Phoenix, I've been to Phoenix before and they don't equate at all.

Houston is making slight changes and they have a few plans on board. Proposed projects include the Gulf Coast Rail Authority Commuter Rail Projects, the Uptown BRT Line, the Texas High Speed Rail (IMO- this project will spark other state rail developments once they see how successful it will be) and also the Metros rail plan (which is not cancelled, but has been pushed back). Local politicians are starting to get on board with public transportation, but there still is a long way to go. I honestly think a subways linking the airports to DT and line connecting DT to Uptown would be beneficial, but i understand the cost factor.

Gulf Rail District
Current Mobility Projects | Uptown Houston : News/Events : Uptown Houston
System Map
Houston to revive commuter rail project | International Railway Journal
 
Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
I've read that Houston's new bus system coupled with students arriving for classes at UH and TSU has immediately helped metro rail to the point where people can't even get on the train, much less stand there during the day. That's good news and encouraging for Houston to continue to develop it's mass transit system. They REALLY need to get the University Line built.
 
Old 08-31-2015, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Southeast TX
868 posts, read 1,356,261 times
Reputation: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've read that Houston's new bus system coupled with students arriving for classes at UH and TSU has immediately helped metro rail to the point where people can't even get on the train, much less stand there during the day. That's good news and encouraging for Houston to continue to develop it's mass transit system. They REALLY need to get the University Line built.
Yes. I agree, and I also think this line should have been build first.
 
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Houston
152 posts, read 114,927 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've read that Houston's new bus system coupled with students arriving for classes at UH and TSU has immediately helped metro rail to the point where people can't even get on the train, much less stand there during the day. That's good news and encouraging for Houston to continue to develop it's mass transit system. They REALLY need to get the University Line built.
I have seen news reports on that too. The metro is decent, but I have only ridden it a couple of times. There is a lot of talk about expansion, and they are doing more marketing for it, so hopefully they will move forward with plans to expand.
 
Old 08-31-2015, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Yes. I agree, and I also think this line should have been build first.
The Green Line or basically the East End could have waited. I understand the Southeast Line but even with that, the University Line should have been next and would have if it didn't run into opposition.
 
Old 08-31-2015, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
1,780 posts, read 1,136,816 times
Reputation: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And in much the same way, just because every city has a science center doesn't mean that Houston's Johnson Space Center, the very place that guided NASA's space missions, is equivalent to some other science center in the US. Just because every city has sports arena's doesn't mean that Houston's Astrodome, the world's first multi-functional domed stadium, the "8th Wonder of the World," is like any other stadium. Just because every city has a historic monument doesn't mean that Houston's San Jacinto monument doesn't embody history in its own, distinctive way that can capture the appeal of many in yet another way different from other monuments.

Are you starting to see the logical fail you have committed now?
You're kind of just reiterating what everyone else has already said. Nobody outside of Texas has heard of the San Jacinto Monument, and I gaurentee you that if the whole country was forced to learn about it they wouldn't find it any more attractive as a destination. More of a regional draw maybe. Also, nobody goes out of there way to see a sports arena unless they are spectators at an event. And I'm sorry, as much as I love space, it's just not sexy enough to produce mass appeal.

Just because these may be "unique", if we're using the term lightly, and just because they haven't been well marketed to the masses, does not mean that they are any better than something another city with a better brand can offer.
 
Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 AM
 
7,322 posts, read 8,979,795 times
Reputation: 8372
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Well, I don't understand the Chicago and Houston debate. Houston will never pass the population of Chicago, at least not in my lifetime, and the cites a very different, I don't see the comparison. Also, I think "overlooked" is a poor word choice to describe Houston, defiantly not a overlooked city. Lacking in certain aspects, especially urbanity, but not overlooked. Now I agree with Philly posters, Philadelphia is a overlooked city, it sits in a prefect location, has a superior public transportation system, and a somewhat youthful vibe to it. Yet, its overlooked. I mean REALLY overlooked. The public transportation is probably the 2nd best in the country IMO. Yet it has a stamp of being crime ridden and filthy (which i have yet to see, though some areas are a little sketchy, i still fell fairly safe). Great place to visit because you can use REAL public transportation to take you to Baltimore, New York City and Washington DC. Talk about a vacation...where you don't have to use a car at all. Even to go to most of the suburbs.

I travel heavily, if it ain't New York, Philadelphia, Chicago or DC, I'M RENTING A CAR. The other systems in the country are a joke and you will waste a lot of time depending on them. There are not built like these four. Which brings me back to Houston being compared to other/similar cities. I just don't see the MAJOR differences like others describe. I mean its car-centric, (just like the other cities its compared too- Atlanta, Dallas etc.). I just don't get the hype. I even seen it being compared to Phoenix . But, I will agree with you with marketing, Houston should turn to Dallas for help in that department. Dallas and Austin have over-hyped their cities in a sense, but as a life long Texan its very laughable, those cities are definitely not better than Houston. When folks compare Houston to other cities, trying to taunt it "like its such a odd place" its very hilarious. Throwing it with cities like Phoenix (which is shade), come really Phoenix, I've been to Phoenix before and they don't equate at all.

Houston is making slight changes and they have a few plans on board. Proposed projects include the Gulf Coast Rail Authority Commuter Rail Projects, the Uptown BRT Line, the Texas High Speed Rail (IMO- this project will spark other state rail developments once they see how successful it will be) and also the Metros rail plan (which is not cancelled, but has been pushed back). Local politicians are starting to get on board with public transportation, but there still is a long way to go. I honestly think a subways linking the airports to DT and line connecting DT to Uptown would be beneficial, but i understand the cost factor.

Gulf Rail District
Current Mobility Projects | Uptown Houston : News/Events : Uptown Houston
System Map
Houston to revive commuter rail project | International Railway Journal
You can add Boston to this foursome, as well. No real need for a car in the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top