U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-04-2015, 10:13 AM
 
2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Reputation: 3030

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You are so correct in this thinking. I feel the same way about San Francisco from other threads. Boosters should realize, they do their cities no favors by shoving their delusions down our throats.
Yep! Ironically, boosters usually do waaaay more harm than than good to a city's image, as evident in this very thread. Houston is notorious for having nutty and annoying boosters, though, even in real life.

And when it comes to the West, San Francisco is DEFINITELY the worst as far as boosters making a city look ridiculous. I mean, you literally are talking about the most expensive city to live in in the entire country and 90% of the people who boost it so vehemently couldn't even afford to live in the poorest neighborhoods there. But anyway, that's another thread for another city.

 
Old 09-04-2015, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
And the funny thing is nobody has bashed Houston. We just offered our criticism (none even close to being bad and something that Houston could work on) about the city. But apparently, to some boosters, it's Eden and perfectville with the greatest attractions of all time.
 
Old 09-04-2015, 11:00 AM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,054,309 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yn0hTnA is freakin hilarious. It's like an elaborate, desperate attempt at satire.

You have to be a Houston hater because no one who claims to like Houston would make such foolish and outlandish arguments. There is no worse representative for Houston on C-D.

"The Colisseum and Astrodome are the same because they had the same use". Well, that proves it, folks!

The Eiffel Tower and the treehouse in my back yard are the exact same, because they have the same use! The NYC subway and the razor scooter in my garage are the exact same because they have the same use! An original copy of the Magna Carta and the stickie on my fridge are the exact same because they have the same use! St. Peters in Rome and a suburban basement where Wiccans gather are the exact same because they have the same use! You heard it hear first!

Every single city on earth has a sports arena, and many have useless, worthless abandoned ones, but for some bizarre reason known only to Yn0hTnA, having a sports arena that is no longer needed or wanted is truly a unique and notable thing!
Every city has a prison, but for some reason, Alcatraz in San Francisco just magically has all the glory...

So many great bridges in the country, many of them suspension bridges too... yet the Golden Gate Bridge is notable and unique?

Every city has parks, yet for some magical reason, Central Park in NY, or Millenium Park in Chicago, are put on pedestals....

So many cities have museums, what exactly makes Smithsonian in DC so special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not really.
Well, you say this, yet I've already established that:

1.) The idea that Houston doesn't offer anything memorable or unique for visitors is bunk; Houston does indeed its trademark elements, but the only reason they may not be memorable to people is because of lack of exposure (lack of media coverage, lack of walkable infrastructure, etc) said people have to such aspects, not because such aspects are intrinsically worse than similar scenes in other cities. Also, given the historical fact that the city was strongly tied with NASA, and thus was central to many memorable events of the country, even being used in the very famous catchphrase, it is a complete lie that Houston isn't iconic at least to some degree.

2.)The idea that other cities have what Houston has, therefore the city isn't work visiting, is bunk; Many cities do indeed have what other cities have, they just put their own unique spin on it. For instance, every city in the country has a prison, but yet the Alcatraz manages to have its own distinct vibe and flair to distinguish it from other prisons, being a high security prison located on an island that happened to have housed very famous criminals like Al Capone. In much the same way, other cities may have parks, restaurants, fine arts scenes, etc like Houston has, but Houston puts its own unique brand of Gulf Coast flair on to its venues that isn't seen in other cities of the country. Other cities have sports stadiums, but the Astrodome does have various distinctions, like being a technological marvel that set trends, that set it apart from other sports stadiums in the country. People also say that Houston doesn't offer the best/ among the best in anything, but its Rodeo show and Art Car Parade are unrivaled on Earth, let along the US, its pleasure boating scene is among the largest in the country, and its Fine Arts scene is of elite class, with permanent companies in all the disciplines, allowing for constant contribution of the Houstonian flair towards the scene.

3.)The major difference between the Astrodome and the Colosseum is just the time period of construction; People are going crazy when I made the comparison, acting as if I just compared pre-school macaroni art to the Mona Lisa, yet as I established, the difference between the two venues just ended up being that the Colosseum is older and in a more popular city. I don't dispute the associations, depth, and implications the Colosseum has earned from standing for all that time, however it doesn't dispute the fact that the Astrodome also has its own associations, depths, and implications. Both were colossal sports arenas that ushered in revolutionary technologies, and thus were considered dymanic feats of ingenuity and marvels for their own respective times. The differences do indeed exist, no doubt, but its not enough to go around saying that the Colosseum is a feat of mighty proportions, while at the same time admonishing the Astrodome as just a rusty, abandoned sports stadium and trying to deny the high-status it has held even in its prime; true appreciators of engineering feats would give both arenas the great respect they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
LOL, I thought that little old Lambeau Field was more iconic than the Astrodome. Getting a kick out of reading some of this thread....really, people?
Well, you thought wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Is this thread still about the city of Houston being overlooked, or about the old, rusty, dilapidated Astrodome seriously trying to be passed off as one of the Wonders of the World?

LOL, this thread is a PERFECT example of one of the main reasons why a lot of people write Houston off; because so many Houstonians act so ridiculous about Houston that it's hard for outsiders to take it seriously.
Actually, it is an example of Houston being overlooked in action; there are loads of sources to prove the fact of the Astrodome's prominence and great influence it had in history, and yet everybody is trying their hardest to say that such prominence was never had and/or was not that great.

I can identify with the Houstonians; they know of the legit high achievements and position their city has in many key areas/scenes, but it doesn't matter whether the hard facts are there; people will go through all lengths to diminish them, and write them off as if they were nothing special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And the funny thing is nobody has bashed Houston. We just offered our criticism (none even close to being bad and something that Houston could work on) about the city. But apparently, to some boosters, it's Eden and perfectville with the greatest attractions of all time.
Your feeble mind cannot comprehend the depth of reasoning featured in my arguments. The portion in bold clearly wasn't the idea I was putting forth in my posts.
 
Old 09-04-2015, 11:03 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
1,316 posts, read 1,264,225 times
Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yep! Ironically, boosters usually do waaaay more harm than than good to a city's image, as evident in this very thread. Houston is notorious for having nutty and annoying boosters, though, even in real life.

And when it comes to the West, San Francisco is DEFINITELY the worst as far as boosters making a city look ridiculous. I mean, you literally are talking about the most expensive city to live in in the entire country and 90% of the people who boost it so vehemently couldn't even afford to live in the poorest neighborhoods there. But anyway, that's another thread for another city.
Well that's your opinion. I've read some threads from other cities and their boosters (namely Los Angeles and Philadelphia) are just as outlandish. Every city has them even yours pal.
 
Old 09-04-2015, 11:08 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Reputation: 9775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Every city has a prison, but for some reason, Alcatraz in San Francisco just magically has all the glory...
Exactly. Finally you get it. Which is why a little known junk stadium like the Astrodome isn't remotely comparable to the Colisseum (and not even remotely comparable to Wembley, Camp Nou, Yankee Stadium, Lambeau Field, etc., which are all meaningless venues compared to the Colisseum but that's another conversation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The idea that Houston doesn't offer anything memorable or unique for visitors is bunk
Then name something unique in Houston that should be a major tourist draw. Why are tourists all idiots and apparently unaware of these hidden charms that apparently only you know? Share us your wisdom, oh Court Jester of the refinery belt!
 
Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Reputation: 9775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Your feeble mind cannot comprehend the depth of reasoning featured in my arguments.
And this is the best quote yet on this thread. Awesome in its incredible cluelessness and lack of self-awareness.
 
Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 AM
 
1,462 posts, read 1,504,095 times
Reputation: 1019
It's always amusing when people bring up a city that wasn't even being discussed and then complain about how annoying that city's posters are, if only there was some analogy here that would be apropos..
 
Old 09-04-2015, 11:23 AM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,054,309 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Exactly. Finally you get it. Which is why a little known junk stadium like the Astrodome isn't remotely comparable to the Colisseum (and not even remotely comparable to Wembley, Camp Nou, Yankee Stadium, Lambeau Field, etc., which are all meaningless venues compared to the Colisseum but that's another conversation).
Its not hard; just a quick google search about the Astrodome reveals nothing but praise, high-status, and reverence it has had throughout history. Again, both the Colosseum and Astrodome were considered revolutionary marvels of engineering for their time, in ways that other stadiums weren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Then name something unique in Houston that should be a major tourist draw. Why are tourists all idiots and apparently unaware of these hidden charms that apparently only you know? Share us your wisdom, oh Court Jester of the refinery belt!
Houston's Fine Arts scene (its museums, theaters, orchestra, etc), its restaurant scene, the Astrodome, the San Jacinto monument, the Johnson Space Center, Livestock Rodeo Show, Art Car Parade, Discovery Green, Orange Show, etc.

Houston already has all the attractions/elements in and of themselves to be a great tourist destination; its just the matter of lacking widespread walkable infrastructure (including mass transit), and strong media presence/passion that is holding it back.
 
Old 09-04-2015, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post



Your feeble mind cannot comprehend the depth of reasoning featured in my arguments. The portion in bold clearly wasn't the idea I was putting forth in my posts.
lol. Nice to see you show how emotional you can get over this. I comprehend just fine. I also don't take boosters serious especially one that gets mad over constructive criticisms of their city.
 
Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Reputation: 9775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Its not hard; just a quick google search about the Astrodome reveals nothing but praise, high-status, and reverence it has had throughout history
If by this you mean "the Astrodome is a generic little known arena that is now abandoned, forgotten and rotting away" then we agree. Otherwise, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Houston's Fine Arts scene (its museums, theaters, orchestra, etc), its restaurant scene, the Astrodome, the San Jacinto monument, the Johnson Space Center, Livestock Rodeo Show, Art Car Parade, Discovery Green, Orange Show, etc.
LOL! Yes, I'm sure the hordes of tourists will abandon Paris and Rome and New York to visit Houston's world-famous orange juice festival! Or maybe a car parade! Awesome stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top