Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 12:03 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
It's always amusing when people bring up a city that wasn't even being discussed and then complain about how annoying that city's posters are, if only there was some analogy here that would be apropos..
Seriously, especially when the booster is literally one (or at most, two) posters.

This is insane. Instead of continually responding to bait, how about not responding and letting the baby have its bottle? I don't even think the poster themselves believe the cr*p they type, but baiting people on this site is way too easy since everyone takes every little word so seriously.

Get a grip.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And the funny thing is nobody has bashed Houston. We just offered our criticism (none even close to being bad and something that Houston could work on) about the city. But apparently, to some boosters, it's Eden and perfectville with the greatest attractions of all time.
What the poster in question doesnt realize is that many people being critical of him actually love Houston (I know the two of us do). But, loving a city like a four year old loves their mommy (which is to say that everything Mommy does is perfect and anyone who disagrees with Mommy is bad) is disturbing to the max.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:24 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
lol. Nice to see you show how emotional you can get over this. I comprehend just fine. I also don't take boosters serious especially one that gets mad over constructive criticisms of their city.
Your feeble, simple mind still fails to comprehend the vast depth of my arguments.

The constructive criticisms I've already agreed with; for instance, it is well known that the lack of efficient mass transit and widespread walkable infrastructure is a key hindrance to the quality of life for the city. I've never disputed that.

On the other hand, I also know that it is indeed a fallacy to say that there is nothing memorable or unique about Houston, or that everything it has can be seen in other cities.

Your feeble mind cannot grasp this nuance; that is why you foolishly think that I am just boosting the city and getting angry over constructive criticism (where in the world you come up with that conclusion, I don't know). I'm not; just giving due acknowledgement to the cultural achievements the city does indeed have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
If by this you mean "the Astrodome is a generic little known arena that is now abandoned, forgotten and rotting away" then we agree. Otherwise, no.
The Sad Fate (but Historic Legacy) of the Houston Astrodome - The Atlantic

Quote:
The Astrodome was once the country’s third-most-popular manmade tourist attraction, behind only the Golden Gate Bridge and Mount Rushmore.

“When you’re in the present, you cannot judge what will become a wonder of the world,” astrophysicist and chief dome-dweller at the Hayden Planetarium Neil deGrasse Tyson told me. “That’s to be judged by generations that follow. Here we are, ready to level the Astrodome, and the Pyramids are still standing.”

The Dome was an American innovation. Largely credited as the vision of the late Roy Hofheinz (immortalized locally as “The Judge”), a former Houston mayor, campaign advisor to Lyndon Johnson in the 1940s, and the father of professional baseball in Houston, the Astrodome was the world’s first model for domed stadiums. It inspired countless knock-offs, built everywhere from Seattle to Osaka and from New Orleans to New Zealand. Upon opening, it sported a sophisticated air-conditioning system, luxury boxes, and a $2 million scoreboard that was four stories high and had programmable animation—all features never before seen in a stadium. The complex also launched a professional sports team (the Houston Astros), a signature terrain (AstroTurf), and a landmark theme park (AstroWorld).

The Astrodome was nicknamed the “Can-Do Cathedral,” and for good reason: Not only would it be completed six months early, but when problems emerged, solutions were quick in coming. When the project initially went over budget, Hofheinz secured extra funding by promising local black leaders that the venue would be fully integrated. When glare from the ceiling’s Lucite panels interfered with outfielders tracking down flyballs, the windows were painted. When the paint killed the Bermuda grass, the solution was to create AstroTurf, a surface that was cleaned during games by groundskeepers called Earthmen, who dressed in space costumes and wielded vacuum cleaners.
Honestly, whether or not the opinions about the Dome are good or bad, the historical legacy and its symbolism of modern ingenuity and can-do spirit cannot be denied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
LOL! Yes, I'm sure the hordes of tourists will abandon Paris and Rome and New York to visit Houston's world-famous orange juice festival! Or maybe a car parade! Awesome stuff!
Nope, the tourists will have just yet another place with its own special appeal, when they visit Houston and its attractions. Paris, Rome, and NYC aren't being abandoned when tourists go to visit San Fran, London, Chicago, or Miami; same goes for Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Seriously, especially when the booster is literally one (or at most, two) posters.

This is insane. Instead of continually responding to bait, how about not responding and letting the baby have its bottle? I don't even think the poster themselves believe the cr*p they type, but baiting people on this site is way too easy since everyone takes every little word so seriously.

Get a grip.
You are yet another feeble mind who can't grasp an argument to save his/her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
What the poster in question doesnt realize is that many people being critical of him actually love Houston (I know the two of us do). But, loving a city like a four year old loves their mommy (which is to say that everything Mommy does is perfect and anyone who disagrees with Mommy is bad) is disturbing to the max.
Wow, yet another feeble mind that can't grasp an argument.

I acknowledged the valid constructive criticisms of the city( poor road conditions outside of freeways, too much sprawl, need for walkable infrastructure/mass transit, etc). I set those apart from the out-and-out lies (that Houston doesn't have anything unique or memorable, isn't near the best in a category, other cities have what it has, etc).

I never denied that both you or Spade both have love for Houston. You just keep making things up.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:27 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Your feeble, simple mind still fails to comprehend the vast depth of my arguments.

lol. You think to high of yourself. I picture you as Mr. Burns saying this.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:33 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Is this thread still about the city of Houston being overlooked, or about the old, rusty, dilapidated Astrodome seriously trying to be passed off as one of the Wonders of the World?

LOL, this thread is a PERFECT example of one of the main reasons why a lot of people write Houston off; because so many Houstonians act so ridiculous about Houston that it's hard for outsiders to take it seriously.
Your just A HOUSTON H8TR... . Let ME know when you're READY for a ADULT CONVERSASHIN.

If you didn't know..HOUSTON, that's rite, HOUSTON, WILL INDEFINATELY overtake CHICAGO, As the THIRD LARGEST CITY IN THE UNITED. States.

Also, HOUSTON has TWO supertalls and the BIGGEST MALL IN THE LONE STAR STATE... -The GALLERIA.

I'm not sure why people cant UNDERSTAND this SIMPLE FACTS!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
lol. You think to high of yourself. I picture you as Mr. Burns saying this.
Now that I have made it clear, can you grasp the nuances now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Your just A HOUSTON H8TR... . Let ME know when you're READY for a ADULT CONVERSASHIN.

If you didn't know..HOUSTON, that's rite, HOUSTON, WILL INDEFINATELY overtake CHICAGO, As the THIRD LARGEST CITY IN THE UNITED. States.

Also, HOUSTON has TWO supertalls and the BIGGEST MALL IN THE LONE STAR STATE... -The GALLERIA.

I'm not sure why people cant UNDERSTAND this SIMPLE FACTS!

With your random use of capitalization in every other word of the sentence, I'd say that your post models that of Steeps more than any alleged "Houston booster."

Old 09-04-2015, 12:49 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
With your random use of capitalization in every other word of the sentence, I'd say that your post models that of Steeps more than any alleged "Houston booster."
It's called satire, Anthony.

As others have mentioned, nobody is "hating" Houston.

Heck, nobody is even attempting to discredit Houston.

However, being your city's blind cheerleader tarnishes Houston's image.

Yes, the Astrodome is a marvel in its own right, but comparing it to something that was built a few decades after Good Friday is ridiculous.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Another of Houston's unique tourist offerings is its climate: there are only a handful of cities that can boast of summers as hot, humid, oppressive, and lengthy as Houston's. Visitors will be able to experience it themselves as they make their way from one world-class attraction to the next. For the hardy, they might test their endurance by walking across the asphalt parking lot for a peek inside what in widely recognized as the Eighth Wonder of the World one sunny August afternoon.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
It's called satire, Anthony.
And it was a failure; it came off more as an attempt at being like the poster Steeps than of any satirical parody of the supposed Houston boosters of this site.

Quote:
As others have mentioned, nobody is "hating" Houston.

Heck, nobody is even attempting to discredit Houston.

However, being your city's blind cheerleader tarnishes Houston's image.

Yes, the Astrodome is a marvel in its own right, but comparing it to something that was built a few decades after Good Friday is ridiculous.
I am not cheer-leading about Houston, I don't know why you people are so confused about this; I am just giving the city due respect for achievements it rightfully has.

You acknowledge the Dome as a marvel; many people I have been arguing won't even accept that fact of history. That's what I meant by discredit; I present true facts about the high status the stadium did indeed have in its prime, and these posters have done all they can to diminish it.

Again, the Colosseum has greater historical depth, but with that being the key distinction between it and the Astrodome, as well as the fact that both had the same purposes, held high status, introduced revolutionary aspects still seen in society today, and were seen as marvels for their times, the comparison is not unreasonable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Another of Houston's unique tourist offerings is its climate: there are only a handful of cities that can boast of summers as hot, humid, oppressive, and lengthy as Houston's. Visitors will be able to experience it themselves as they make their way from one world-class attraction to the next. For the hardy, they might test their endurance by walking across the asphalt parking lot for a peek inside what in widely recognized as the Eighth Wonder of the World one sunny August afternoon.
Houston's climate can definitely be huge in allowing it to attract tourists. It has warmer winters than the vast majority of the country, and its summer weather is not much different than many subtropcal/tropical resort paradises of the world. Such resorts, like Cancun, Zanzibar, etc have essentially year-round versions of Houston's summer weather, complete with the heat and high humidity, and yet they flawlessly attract tourists.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
I'm not a Houstonian, but I tend to agree with a lot of what "Anthony" says. Unlike most of everyone else here, he isn't afraid to deviate from the popular (and often misguided) opinion.

One thing I've always disliked about City Data is how many folks seem to suffer from this dangerous groupthink mentality which causes them all to side against any poster who has an alternative but sound view on the topic. Unenlightened behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City