Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,894,308 times

Advertisements

LOL about the Astrodome. I was really only kidding, but people DO appreciate Lambeau more...at least as far as football stadiums go. I'm sure I could find more, but here's a little to support which stadium is more "iconic."

Power Ranking NFL Stadiums, 2014 Edition - Page 2 of 2 - Sportsnaut.com

10 Iconic NFL Stadiums; Green Bay Packers' Lambeau Field

1. Lambeau Field (Packers)

I just kind of interjected this after one of your comments about the Astrodome. I wasn't meaning for it to go this far, but, then, I didn't know you were so serious.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And that thought comes simply because you (and others) aren't understanding the points.
No, we just think you're wrong. I understand exactly what you're saying. You're just wrong.

By the way, half my office is from Houston and has memories of the Astrodome as a child. Everyone of them thinks it should be torn down or re-purposes. It's just a giant rust bucket right now. It is NOT anything like the Roman Coleseum. The Roman Empire was massive and expanded for centuries. Nero held preformences there. There is SO much historical significance to the Roman history that shaped society as we know it and the Coleseum was a big part of that.

The Astrodome has NO historical significance outside Houston itself. NONE.

You have no sense of reality and I can tell youre not a well traveled or historically minded person. Nobody that has any concept of history or is well travelled would EVER try to compare these two. Hell, the Astrodome isn't even one of the most iconic stadiums in the U.S.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 09-05-2015 at 09:34 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 09:37 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,603,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No, we just think you're wrong. I understand exactly what you're saying. You're just wrong.

By the way, half my office is from Houston and has memories of the Astrodome as a child. Everyone of them thinks it should be torn down or re-purposes. It's just a giant rust bucket right now. It is NOT anything like the Roman Coleseum. The Roman Empire was massive and expanded for centuries. Nero held preformences there. There is SO much historical significance to the Roman history that shaped society as we know it and the Coleseum was a big part of that.

You have no sense of reality and I can tell youre not a well traveled or historically minded person. Nobody that has any concept of history or is well travelled would EVER try to compare these two.
Actually the Astrodome is listed as a National Historical Landmark.

Dome named to National Register of Historic Places - Houston Chronicle

Old 09-05-2015, 09:45 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

You have no sense of reality and I can tell youre not a well traveled or historically minded person. Nobody that has any concept of history or is well travelled would EVER try to compare these two. Hell, the Astrodome isn't even one of the most iconic stadiums in the U.S.
The world was a far smaller place during the Roman Empire. I don't think it's possible to fairly measure the importance of the Astrodome in 2015 to the Colosseum fifty years after its own birth. Apples and oranges.

But the dome is without a doubt one of the most important modern structures in America. The lack of respect and recognition it gets is only the fault of Houston. The city rarely does right by its own history.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:49 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,069,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Actually the Astrodome is listed as a National Historical Landmark.

Dome named to National Register of Historic Places - Houston Chronicle
Lots of irrelevant buildings are. The Astrodome is not a international cultural attraction or landmark like the Roman Colosseum.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Exactly, you have an iconic structure, standing quite boldly, yet everybody just wants to tear it down. How uncreative.

You are just saying this just to say it; I have actually backed my claim (that the Astrodome is a marvel, and was innovative in a way no other stadium in the US was) with hard, solid facts, and articles. Said article even has examples showing the dome's influence extending even as far as Osaka in Japan. So, having established that the Astrodome has, at least, a degree of global impact, while Lambeau is a nonentity(as you say) in global appeal, it is solidly clear that the Astrodome is more iconic worldwide than the Lambeau.

And yet the tourism for the Colosseum in Rome proves that they can...
The Colosseum is also located in a city that is over 2,000 years old and was the center of one of the largest empires in human history. Roma oozes in culture than Houston can't even begin to compare. The Colosseum is nearly 2,000 years old itself.

Trying to compare a 40 year old Stadium to the Colosseum is absurd and ludicrous.

Houstonians think Houston is more important and influential than it really is because it had a strong economy from 2010-2014. They developed huge egos because of it. When people have to create threads like THIS, than maybe you should reconsider.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The Colosseum is also located in a city that is over 2,000 years old and was the center of one of the largest empires in human history. Roma oozes in culture than Houston can't even begin to compare. The Colosseum is nearly 2,000 years old itself.

Trying to compare a 40 year old Stadium to the Colosseum is absurd and ludicrous.

Houstonians think Houston is more important and influential than it really is because it had a strong economy from 2010-2014. They developed huge egos because of it. When people have to create threads like THIS, than maybe you should reconsider.
So to reiterate my earlier point: groupthink vs independent thought. More often than not, the village idiot turns out to be the village genius.

And the dome is 50 years old.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:06 AM

Because a 10 year difference is so significant when comparing to a Stadium that is nearly 2 millennia.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:54 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,874,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Says an Atlanta poster.
Sorry but Houston is the city on trial not Atlanta and you have a few delusional boosters who can't accept objectivity.

The Astrodome is not iconic. I just can't comprehend why you people don't accept something that is an irrefutable fact.

I actually love Houston and have defended it on this forum many times against the urban density sharks. It just aggravates the hell out of me when boosters make a city out to be perfect an unblemished.

Houston as the nation's 4th largest city is not as popular as some of the smaller metros such as Boston, Atlanta, Miami, DC, and Philadelphia. Houston is out performing most of the cities listed economically and to me that is way more important than name recognition.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Because a 10 year difference is so significant when comparing to a Stadium that is nearly 2 millennia.
That's not what I was saying at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City