Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I understand that, that's why I said i respect your opinion. But a healthy economy is the backbone of an influential city (other than capitals) so it's just hard seeing Chicago that far above Houston when it is only 80 B ahead. Also hard to see ATL and Miami ranked with Houston when Houston is 200 Billion ahead.

Media presence has little draw in my book.
Media presence helps a lot in getting name recognition and a healthy TOURIST Factor can only increase it too. Chicago has...

History behind it. Even negative stereotyping gives a factor of recognizably. Chicago nor the Midwest is NOT IN THE SUNBELT or mild winter region. Both the Midwest and East had AWEFUL Winters. Last couple years. Even Texas got a taste.... that aids Southern growth, to Pacific Northwest.

But Chicago's Downtown has boomed in residents. Still is and gentrification of some of the oldest neighborhoods nearby. Some newer Parts of Downtown Chicago were planned. Like its New East side. The city made great improvements in transforming it into a Tourist destination. Including the family.

Its tourist numbers keep growing. Now at 50 million/yr. But lacks yet International tourist numbers anywhere close to NYC's. Virtually all the city's Downtown improvements. Have TOURIST IN ITS AIM. They spend the money keeping it busy and aides in its Downtown Shopping and Restaurants.

Houston could use a AD CAMPAIGN TO GET TOURIST AND ADD RECOGNITION BY Getting OUT.....WHAT HOUSTON OFFERS.... OUT THERE. ALL THAT THE ADVERTISEMENTS ARE MEANT TOO.

Chicago's O'Hare Airport took back Busiest from Atlanta last year. IN LANDINGS AND DEPARTURES. BUT NOT TOTAL PASSENGERS.

Even GHP alone does not give a city boasting rights of overtaking another's position. Population alone does not either. They do more for Locals esteem and some business circles. Its hard to imagine.... Chicago's Stock Exchanges moving to Houston? Or Corporate headquarters. But things in the US can bring about changes ... today would be very unlikely.

SF and Boston area. Seem to be the real threats to LA and or Chicago and perhaps? DC in metro population. Since it would have Baltimore 40 miles away included.

Last edited by steeps; 08-23-2015 at 08:56 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 08:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Never said that it does not, but that is just icing on the cake. Like I said the economic strength is the backbone.

A city without a huge economy is just a tourist town. A city with a huge economy on the other hand is still a huge city.

Like I said, it is icing that NY, LA, DC , etc has the tourists, but they are great cities without them.

On the flip side, Vegas and Orlando have the tourists but query whether they are great without a more robust economy.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:56 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
Stay boring, Houston.
Because they don't have a hockey team????Logic?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:57 PM

151 posts, read 169,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Good God a lot of Houston posters have a ridiculously inflated opinion of how important our city is.

Equal to Chicago and LA??????
More important than DC????
Bringing the Battle of San Jacinto to discuss relevance????

Houston is a very important city, but get real people. It's peer is Boston nationally. It's below LA, Chicago, DC, and SF, and above DFW, Philly, Miami, and Atlanta.
I brought up the battle of San Jacinto as an example of an historical moment that happened in the area but is not well known. Do you disagree?

Is it really the pier of Boston or has there been a paradigm shift that perhaps others are reluctant to adapt to?

Is it an over-flated opinion to believe one's city is 4th or 5th in whatever criteria you choose to rank it? I base my opinion on what is important to me, not on what strangers tell me what I should base my opinion on. I don't include things like walk ability and density in my evaluation because those things aren't important to me. I do use weather because I like to jog outside 50+ miles a week and I would not be to do that in some of the northern climates because I much prefer the heat over the cold.

I enjoy arts and culture and actually perform with a local symphony and I am perfectly happy with the Houston arts scene. I enjoy history and I don't deny other cities their history, but neither do I deny Houston's. I like the Hispanic culture so obviously Houston does well in that regard. Outside of pure numbers (in which Houston holds it's own) Houston does quite well.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:58 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Never said that it does not, but that is just icing on the cake. Like I said the economic strength is the backbone.

A city without a huge economy is just a tourist town. A city with a huge economy on the other hand is still a huge city.

Like I said, it is icing that NY, LA, DC , etc has the tourists, but they are great cities without them.

On the flip side, Vegas and Orlando have the tourists but query whether they are great without a more robust economy.
Vegas and Orlando have the RECOGNITION THOUGH. What Houston craves more of. Orlando is booming too and becoming a real city too.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
As for major league sports, it is all about revenue from local/regional media, and to some extent, local big pocket donors who are willing to buy luxury suites. Fortunately, or unfortunately, that is what the business is today. And Houston will continue to do well in this category.

Skylines. I agree, not the most important factor, but for the average joe, there is a certain "wow" factor. While Houston has added a few highrises in the past 25 years, the skyline, (as another poster mentioned), has not changed significantly since 1985.

On the plus side, Houston has a major hub airport with United swallowing up Continental, and Bush International is certainly one of the largest (atleast top5) in the U.S. today.

Also, the pure scope of Houston and environs is huge. Some would say "sprawl", but I don't have a problem with that. The freeway system is good, though congested. And from what I understand, closer-in residential is growing.

So I can't say anything really negative about Houston. I have visited many times, and find it to be a big feeling metro, (perhaps without anything that stands out, but that is OK). The pure size is enough for me. It is a major city in the US today, and not to recognize it for that is intellectually wrong.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:03 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
Stay boring, Houston.
Seriously...?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:05 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
On the plus side, Houston has a major hub airport with United swallowing up Continental, and Bush International is certainly one of the largest (atleast top5) in the U.S. today.
Top five for land mass?

Bush isn't even in the top ten for traffic.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:12 PM

135 posts, read 175,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Seriously...?

Need glasses?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:22 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I do think that popular bias can be a reason a city is overlooked and receives less credit/attention than it deserves, and I do think that attention itself can lead to more attention and more import.

I also think you are a little too hung up on this ranking system of yours. The OP is Houston: The most overlooked city in America. Houston could be 10th in the Hierarchy and still be the most overlooked city in America. And if your rankings are accurate does Houston receive the 7th most amount of national attention, I doubt that it does....
Exaggerate much?

It is impossible to be the most overlooked city in America when your city receives ample media coverage. For its reputation in business, or that it's the energy and oil capital; it has one of the most diverse populations in the nation; is home to three major league sports; has a very large and well known music scene, especially in hip hop.....this list can go on for maybe twenty more things. Houston is a very important city, and it is very well known for what it is...

The problem is that Houston lovers think Houston's attributes put them in a Top 5. It's okay...only five cities can make it...

I can think of several cities that are more underrated or overlooked than Houston. Let's not get carried away with this most overlooked in America thing. Houston is right where it belongs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City