Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 09:22 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,068 times

Advertisements

Now you all can make up whatever you want but here is proof......

2014 Annual Visitors.....People lie, numbers don't

Orlando - 60 million visitors
NYC - 55 million visitors
Chicago - 48 million visitors
Atlanta - 48 million visitors (No this doesn't include the airport travelers or else it would have been 149 million)
Los Angeles - 43 million visitors
Las Vegas - 41 million visitors
Dallas - 21 million visitors
San Fran - 18 million visitors
Houston - 15 million visitors
Miami - 14 million visitors
New Orleans - 9 million visitors

Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 AM

57 posts, read 45,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Now you all can make up whatever you want but here is proof......

2014 Annual Visitors.....People lie, numbers don't

Orlando - 60 million visitors
NYC - 55 million visitors
Chicago - 48 million visitors
Atlanta - 48 million visitors (No this doesn't include the airport travelers or else it would have been 149 million)
Los Angeles - 43 million visitors
Las Vegas - 41 million visitors
Dallas - 21 million visitors
San Fran - 18 million visitors
Houston - 15 million visitors
Miami - 14 million visitors
New Orleans - 9 million visitors
Nothing to do with what we are talking about

Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 AM

57 posts, read 45,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok. They may avoid it. But it's there. What's there in Houston?

Where is there a french quarter in Houston? Where is there a South Beach in the Houston metro area? Where is there anything of San Francisco in the Houston area? Is Houston's downtown even remotely comparable to Chicago's downtown? A couple museums in Houston beats the dozens of museums in Washington DC and the Mall? Where is there a Times Square in Houston?

Unique being only one of it's kind. What does Houston have to offer to most tourists that is unique to Houston to make people visit more than once? Or even at all?
Amazing how I say Houston or other cities. .but that other city part you ignore

Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemass55 View Post
Nothing to do with what we are talking about
Seriously? That has everything to do with what people have been talking about for a large portion of this thread. "Houston doesn't have anything unique to offer visitors".. Well tourism clearly isn't a major factor in recognition going by those numbers and the "recognition" recieved..

Old 08-25-2015, 09:32 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
So back to my post asking.. Does the number of tourists/visitors really correlate with the recognition of a city? Because if so Orlando must be off the charts.. Yet for some reason it's not?
Well most tourists to Orlando never see the city to begin with. They go from the Airport to all of the attractions on the SW side of the metro bypassing the mess that is the Orlando metro area.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:33 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Well, that pretty much sums up that argument. The number of visitors doesn't have nearly as big an impact on recognition as a lot of yall are trying to claim..
Well, if I know afdinatl as well as I think I do, then he is actually claiming that Orlando is a more appealing tourist destination than New York.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest
So back to my post asking.. Does the number of tourists/visitors really correlate with the recognition of a city? Because if so Orlando must be off the charts.. Yet for some reason it's not?
Well, that pretty much sums up that argument. The number of visitors doesn't have nearly as big an impact on recognition as a lot of yall are trying to claim..

Yes it does. Outside of the people going to Orlando mainly for Disney the more people that come to your city the more recognition that it gets. Then those visitors become repeat visitors. They go home and tell their friends and family about said city. Thing is you have to have events and conventions to get people to said city. Once they are there you have to give them something to do and have it accessibility to other parts of the city.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, if I know afdinatl as well as I think I do, then he is actually claiming that Orlando is a more appealing tourist destination than New York.
You said that. I didn't. I just posted facts. Those cities have something that a lot people want to see

Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Seriously? That has everything to do with what people have been talking about for a large portion of this thread. "Houston doesn't have anything unique to offer visitors".. Well tourism clearly isn't a major factor in recognition going by those numbers and the "recognition" recieved..
The link didn't show tourists. We are talking about leisure visitors, not some consultant forced to transfer planes at Hartsfield. That has nothing to do with relative appeal.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Yes it does.
Surely you're not arguing that Atlanta has more recognition than LA and San Francisco though, are you? And even with a small number according to this list, NOLA has quite a bit of name recognition due to its uniqueness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City