Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 12:58 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,905,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
No one designated it that, seriously what are you talking about?? It is nothing more than a nickname, similar to the alleged 'World's Best Diner' I ate at in Vegas that was down the street from a different diner labeled the 'World's Best Diner' (or did the first diner really also have the 'World's Best Apple Pie' too??). A nickname that is not unique to the Astrodome at all.

Seriously, who started talking about the Astrodome of all things??
Nickname, designation, whatever it is, it still stands that the Astrodome was not called an "Eighth Wonder of the World" by accident. This downplaying of the Dome is such a farce.

Quote:
And who knew Pizza My Heart right here in the Bay Area had the best pizza in the world? At least that was decided on by an actual annual world-wide contest.
And the listing of the Dome as an "Eighth Wonder" may have been on a list put together, but said list would have been put together with consideration to the loads of other worthy constructs out there. Yet, the Dome was enough of a feat, revolution, and trend setter to earn itself the nickname, designation, etc.

Quote:
This is about the most legit thing regarding the Astrodome:

The Astrodome was ranked 134th in the "America's Favorite Architecture" poll commissioned by the American Institute of Architects, that ranked the top 150 favorite architectural projects in America as of 2007.
To be fair, the Dome at the time was already getting to a point of seeing less and less use for sporting events, concerts, etc, and thus less and less exposure to many minds. The Houston of 2007 also did not have the appreciation for the Dome as the Houston of the mid-20th century. In its prime, the Dome was indeed hailed as a marvel, and would have ranked much higher on a similar ranking of architectural projects.

Quote:
Again I ask how did we start talking about something that still only exists because "the city council rejected demolition plans on environmental grounds, over concerns that demolition of the Dome might damage the dense development that today closely surrounds it."
Because, like it or not, the Dome is indeed a bold icon of modern ingenuity and dynamic engineering in the US. Yes, the Dome did escape destruction narrowly; so did many other monuments revered to this day, including the Eiffel Tower and, yes, the Colosseum. But that doesn't matter; the Dome is still standing, and still has a chance to be revitalized.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:19 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,774,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes, the Dome did escape destruction narrowly; so did many other monuments revered to this day, including the Eiffel Tower and, yes, the Colosseum. But that doesn't matter; the Dome is still standing, and still has a chance to be revitalized.
I wasn't aware the Astrodome is a monument.

Are you now comparing the Astrodome to the Eiffel Tower?

Old 09-03-2015, 06:14 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,257,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
I wasn't aware the Astrodome is a monument.

Are you now comparing the Astrodome to the Eiffel Tower?
No, silly; the Astrodome is a much more iconic monument than the Eiffel Tower! Obviously an abandoned, rusted out, generic football stadium from the 1960's that no one has heard of if not from the U.S. or not a sports fan over 40 is vastly more iconic than the most famous monument on the planet!

Heck, I hear Petco Park in San Diego is more iconic than the Pyramids of Giza. And don't forget super-iconic Mafre Insurance Stadium of Columbus, Ohio. Makes the Statue of Liberty or Big Ben or Great Wall of China look like a roadside pit stop.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:18 AM

686 posts, read 1,162,606 times
The foolishness coming from the anti-Houston crowd on CD is rampant. Regardless of how much people try to downplay Houston, it won't stop Houston from becoming a juggernaut among American cities. IF Houston survives the current oil crisis with just a few nicks and bruises it's going to be game over for a lot of other competing cities in which people like to lump Houston into. Is Houston currently overlooked? YES, but that's changing. Because of the continued economic dominance, many are starting to take Houston serious.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:29 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,881,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
The foolishness coming from the anti-Houston crowd on CD is rampant. Regardless of how much people try to downplay Houston, it won't stop Houston from becoming a juggernaut among American cities. IF Houston survives the current oil crisis with just a few nicks and bruises it's going to be game over for a lot of other competing cities in which people like to lump Houston into. Is Houston currently overlooked? YES, but that's changing. Because of the continued economic dominance, many are starting to take Houston serious.
I've read a few pages of this thread and the foolishness is coming from one delusional Houston booster. I haven't seen this type of boosting since Metro Matt and it's making me wonder if they're one in the same people.

Houston is a fine city but there is absolutely nothing iconic about it.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,529,574 times
If your plan to be not "overlooked" rests on the shoulders of an abandoned, rusted, decaying sports arena, you have already lost the battle.

My advice would be to start talking about ANYTHING else Houston has because this Astrodome conversation is one of the most absurd I've ever seen on city-data. Seriously.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 AM

12,645 posts, read 21,792,872 times
I read the response to my lengthy post about why the Colosseum is much more important than the Astrodome and realized that I'm the loser for actually taking time to both write a response to such a ridiculous statement and read the response to my post.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,747,714 times
This thread has run its course.
It's no longer meaningful discussion.
Wish it would just be put down already.

Look, Houston is the 5th largest metropolitan area in the country.

It has the 5th largest metropolitan area GDP in the country (counting the Bay as an MSA)

It is loved my many, hated by many, but that doesn't take away from being one of the 5 or 6 most important cities in the country right now.

Like the city or not, it is important.

Americas important niche cities in alphabetical order:
Boston, Chicago, DC, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco.

List them however you like, doesn't matter; different things vary in importance to different people but like it or not Houston, Los Angeles and Chicago are the top manufacturing cities in the country right now. Houston and Los Angeles have two of the most important ports in the country right now. Houston is the undisputed king of energy in the US, The Bay is king of Technology, Boston is king of education, DC is our capital, New York, Chicago, Boston and SF are still king of Finance.

Now you can have petty arguments for 50 pages about stadia, Skyscrapers, pizza or cuts of meat, but that does not take away from the fact that Houston is one of the most important cities in the country.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:39 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,356,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I read the response to my lengthy post about why the Colosseum is much more important than the Astrodome and realized that I'm the loser for actually taking time to both write a response to such a ridiculous statement and read the response to my post.
Yeah it's like talking to a brick wall. Nothing iconic about the Astrodome. His mind is already made up when he argues though. No matter the topic.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:48 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,356,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
The thing is nobody bashed Houston. Most that was offered to Houston was constructive criticism. We know Houston is an important economic powerhouse. What else though? As far as being a city that can offer people to visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City