U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best for African Americans between these two?
Minneapolis 47 58.75%
Seattle 33 41.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:22 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,032,537 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of, almost, pretty much 100% positive LowTune already lives in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 04:33 PM

288 posts, read 242,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I'm kind of, almost, pretty much 100% positive LowTune already lives in Seattle.
Raleigh, actually. I was thinking about moving to Atlanta, but I'm done with the South.... I've had my fill of the incessant "White Colonial Roads" and "Plantation Boulevards"... Not to mention all the confederate monuments.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
LOL. No sh*t. You clearly weren't thinking Minneapolis from the start considering you have trolled this forum since you signed up. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet you aren't choosing Seattle either - considering you are already living there. Nice try though.

BTW, good luck to anyone who makes a decision to move elsewhere without visiting the place first.
I've lived all over this country, only once have I visited a place before moving there. Reason being, I ended up hating it after thinking I would love it based on my previous visit. Visiting a city doesn't give you an accurate picture of what actually living there will be like.

Now, I just up and go. I'm in my 20's, single, and without any kids, so what's the worst that can happen? I hate it and move somewhere else?

As I've already stated, I used to live in King County. I didn't find it to be particularly racist, even though there was a very high percentage of Europeans there, some who even gave me dirty looks. I don't know if that was because I'm of West African descent, or because they just go around giving people dirty looks. But from my experience(s), Seattle is where I want to be for a while.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 PM

52,608 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
I've lived all over this country, only once have I visited a place before moving there. Reason being, I ended up hating it after thinking I would love it based on my previous visit. Visiting a city doesn't give you an accurate picture of what actually living there will be like.

Now, I just up and go. I'm in my 20's, single, and without any kids, so what's the worst that can happen? I hate it and move somewhere else?

As I've already stated, I used to live in King County. I didn't find it to be particularly racist, even though there was a very high percentage of Europeans there, some who even gave me dirty looks. I don't know if that was because I'm of West African descent, or because they just go around giving people dirty looks. But from my experience(s), Seattle is where I want to be for a while.
That was easy.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:39 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,148,144 times
Well trolled, LowTune.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:19 PM

For the life of me I don't know how Minneapolis is winning this poll. Everything I've read, all the empirical data, all the people that I've spoken with in real life say that Seattle is definitely the better choice, not only for African Americans, but for all minorities. But I guess this is what happens when Europeans try to tell minorities what their experience(s) will be at any given time.

It's like me sitting in a room full of women who've given birth, then a pregnant woman walks in and asks, "What's it like to give birth to a baby?" I decide that I'll take this question on, because HEY! I've read about childbirth, I've seen "A Baby Story", I've spoken with women who've given childbirth... What? You're trying to tell me that a woman who's actually given childbirth and experienced it knows what it's like to give birth to a baby more than I do? Wow, that's sexist!!! ... See how ridiculous it is to try and tell someone else what their experience is or what it would be, when you couldn't POSSIBLY know from experience?

In an attempt to help me make my decision between Minneapolis and Seattle, I contacted both of their city's councils asking about their history of minorities members (Asian, Hispanic, Indian (I know Indians ARE Asian, African American). I received a VERY thorough reply from Seattle's City Council totaling three paragraphs outlining their minority members of both genders dating all the way back to 1922. Shortly after I received a second unsolicited email from them adding that one of their current council members Bruce Harrell also has African Ancestry.

Would you like to know the reply I received from Minneapolis's city council when I asked them about their city's history of minority members in council besides Abdi Warsame (Who's currently a member)?

Their reply was, "There have been other council representatives of non-European descent prior to this."...

Unlike Seattle, I had to specifically ask them for specific names, at which time they (almost reluctantly) gave me four names....

Minnesota seems like it does an OK job at pretending to "tolerate" non-Europeans, but it doesn't seem as though it embraces diversity or celebrates it like other cities around the world and in U.S.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:42 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,382,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
For the life of me I don't know how Minneapolis is winning this poll. Everything I've read, all the empirical data, all the people that I've spoken with in real life say that Seattle is definitely the better choice, not only for African Americans, but for all minorities. But I guess this is what happens when Europeans try to tell minorities what their experience(s) will be at any given time.

It's like me sitting in a room full of women who've given birth, then a pregnant woman walks in and asks, "What's it like to give birth to a baby?" I decide that I'll take this question on, because HEY! I've read about childbirth, I've seen "A Baby Story", I've spoken with women who've given childbirth... What? You're trying to tell me that a woman who's actually given childbirth and experienced it knows what it's like to give birth to a baby more than I do? Wow, that's sexist!!! ... See how ridiculous it is to try and tell someone else what their experience is or what it would be, when you couldn't POSSIBLY know from experience?

In an attempt to help me make my decision between Minneapolis and Seattle, I contacted both of their city's councils asking about their history of minorities members (Asian, Hispanic, Indian (I know Indians ARE Asian, African American). I received a VERY thorough reply from Seattle's City Council totaling three paragraphs outlining their minority members of both genders dating all the way back to 1922. Shortly after I received a second unsolicited email from them adding that one of their current council members Bruce Harrell also has African Ancestry.

Would you like to know the reply I received from Minneapolis's city council when I asked them about their city's history of minority members in council besides Abdi Warsame (Who's currently a member)?

Their reply was, "There have been other council representatives of non-European descent prior to this."...

Unlike Seattle, I had to specifically ask them for specific names, at which time they (almost reluctantly) gave me four names....

Minnesota seems like it does an OK job at pretending to "tolerate" non-Europeans, but it doesn't seem as though it embraces diversity or celebrates it like other cities around the world and in U.S.
You've posted numerous Minneapolis vs. Seattle threads recently. I'm inclined to just accept that you're trolling these forums, so I won't bother addressing specifics in your post. However, even if I'm wrong on that observation, your pro-Seattle POV should make your choice glaringly obvious.

Go to Seattle already!

Old 09-08-2015, 02:47 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Minny seems to have a strong representation of the Afrikan Diaspora living in it. Seattle probably isn't too shabby on that front but that weather doesn't seem to be particularly Melanin-friendly (gotta get that regular dosage of Sun for that vitamin D ). Haven't lived in either city though, so can't comment on actual experiences.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:38 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,840,799 times
I've been to both places, but have not lived in either. Based on my observations as an outsider, Seattle seems to be super friendly to "weird" people and people from just about any race. It's almost like people who were too weird for even California moved to Seattle.

Minneapolis is liberal and welcoming, but it definitely has more of a "hometown" feel to it than Seattle.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:06 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,158,253 times
Neither Seattle nor Minny seem very "weird" at all to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or