U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best for African Americans between these two?
Minneapolis 47 58.75%
Seattle 33 41.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:56 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,178,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
Seattle also has a much stronger basketball culture with primarily Black players. Since 1998 the Seattle/Western Washington area has produced 22 NBA Draft picks (tied for 7th) and the player-per-capita is the 7th highest.

Here are some of the players:
Aaron brooks
Jamal Crawford
Spencer Hawes
Nate Robinson
Brandon Roy
Jason Terry
Doug Christie
Rodney Stuckey
Martell Webster
Marcus Williams
Marvin Williams
Jon Brockman
Isiah Thomas (the current one)
Tony Wroten
Avery Bradley
Luke Ridnour
Peyton Siva
Ever hear of hockey? It is THE sport in the Twin Cities area, but basketball is still very popular in the TC area and throughout the state. That being said, the TC area has and continues to produce some stellar AA basketball AND hockey players .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 12:27 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,900,176 times
Really? We're now trying to one-up with athletes? I'm originally from Minnesota, and I know that it's certainly not a perfect world in Minneapolis, like some might try to portray. I read the Star Tribune every day, along with commentary on articles. Please do this, as well, if you think it's without problems...you'll find out differently.

I'm also not saying Seattle is better, I don't really know. But don't try to paint too rosy a picture of Minneapolis, because it's not all roses.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm originally from Minnesota, and I know that it's certainly not a perfect world in Minneapolis, like some might try to portray. I read the Star Tribune every day, along with commentary on articles. Please do this, as well, if you think it's without problems...you'll find out differently.

I'm also not saying Seattle is better, I don't really know. But don't try to paint too rosy a picture of Minneapolis, because it's not all roses.
Who exactly is trying to paint a rosy picture of Minneapolis? The OP is essentially trolling and people have responded. Minneapolis certainly has its share of problems, but compared to other major, Midwestern cities / metros, it's doing quite well. BTW, why on earth would you waste your time on the StarTribune's commentary sections? From what I've heard / read, most of the nonsense being spouted is coming from people who either live in the exurbs or outstate Minnesota.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:45 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,900,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Who exactly is trying to paint a rosy picture of Minneapolis? The OP is essentially trolling and people have responded. Minneapolis certainly has its share of problems, but compared to other major, Midwestern cities / metros, it's doing quite well. BTW, why on earth would you waste your time on the StarTribune's commentary sections? From what I've heard / read, most of the nonsense being spouted is coming from people who either live in the exurbs or outstate Minnesota.

I'm speaking specifically about news stories that run, and the comments that follow the stories. The comments are made by citizens that live in Minneapolis (or the suburbs). Perhaps I should have said "comments", rather than "commentary." These comments can be pretty eye-opening. This wouldn't be exclusive to Minneapolis, obviously, but the comments often tell a different story than I'm reading here.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm speaking specifically about news stories that run, and the comments that follow the stories. The comments are made by citizens that live in Minneapolis (or the suburbs). Perhaps I should have said "comments", rather than "commentary." These comments can be pretty eye-opening. This wouldn't be exclusive to Minneapolis, obviously, but the comments often tell a different story than I'm reading here.
I know what you are talking about. People who take advantage of online newspaper's anonymous services exist EVERYWHERE and again, most of the comments one will come across in the StarTribune's comment section are made from those living in the suburbia and outstate Minnesota. There are wack jobs, trolls, and bullies everywhere my friend. Unfortunately, the StarTrib and other major, newspapers still give them a voice while they hide behind their anonymity.

Again, the crap surfaces when online papers allow comments. Did you happen to see the comments in the Seattle Times after it reported on Black Lives Matter interrupting the Bernie Sanders rally? I'm willing to bet most of the comments were made people living outside of Seattle proper.

Last edited by YIMBY; 08-25-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 04:56 PM

213 posts, read 176,890 times
Quote:
I know what you are talking about. People who take advantage of online newspaper's anonymous services exist EVERYWHERE and again, most of the comments one will come across in the StarTribune's comment section are made from those living in the suburbia and outstate Minnesota. There are wack jobs, trolls, and bullies everywhere my friend. Unfortunately, the StarTrib and other major, newspapers still give them a voice while they hide behind their anonymity.

Again, the crap surfaces when online papers allow comments. Did you happen to see the comments in the Seattle Times after it reported on Black Lives Matter interrupting the Bernie Sanders rally? I'm willing to bet most of the comments were made people living outside of Seattle proper.
No doubt - the Seattle metro has plenty of racist people along with the progressives.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:19 PM

6,152 posts, read 4,364,514 times
Quote:
So, you're stating the south Seattle suburbs function the same way as St. Paul does? Do you understand the difference between a central / core city and a suburb?
Which simply highlights a key difference between the two cities. The typical pattern for mid-western and eastern cities is for the middle to upper classes to live in the suburbs and the poor and working classes in the central/core city. With Seattle and many other "western" cities, that pattern is reversed, with the better-off migrating into the city, and the less well-off to suburbs, more similar to what you see in European cities. At the same time, however, Seattle is less segregated than many mid-western or eastern cities.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:33 PM

52,631 posts, read 75,477,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Which simply highlights a key difference between the two cities. The typical pattern for mid-western and eastern cities is for the middle to upper classes to live in the suburbs and the poor and working classes in the central/core city. With Seattle and many other "western" cities, that pattern is reversed, with the better-off migrating into the city, and the less well-off to suburbs, more similar to what you see in European cities. At the same time, however, Seattle is less segregated than many mid-western or eastern cities.
It isn't necessarily that cut and dry in Midwestern and Northeastern cities, as you can find chunks of the cities in those regions that are within the range of the "middle class". Same with suburbs, as some can be anywhere from working class to upper class.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 PM

288 posts, read 242,521 times
Seattle it is, wish me luck... YAWL!

Old 08-26-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Seattle it is, wish me luck... YAWL!
LOL. No sh*t. You clearly weren't thinking Minneapolis from the start considering you have trolled this forum since you signed up. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet you aren't choosing Seattle either - considering you are already living there. Nice try though.

BTW, good luck to anyone who makes a decision to move elsewhere without visiting the place first.

Last edited by YIMBY; 08-26-2015 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or