U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 AM

28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
This can be said for a few other cities. Other cities have world class museums, are finance centers, more urban, better downtowns, higher income per capita, more walkable, bike-able, better public transportation, and arguably better universities but does that make them more prestigious than LA?
If you're talking about a few cities like London and Paris, then yes, they are more prestigious than LA.

I'd rank these four cities in the following order:

San Francisco - Wealthy, Golden Gate Bridge, Stanford, most Ivy League grads after NYC, most popular with SWPL crowd, seen as more high brow, cultured and sophisticated, "European" feel etc.

Washington, DC - Seat of power, wealthy, "European" feel, on the East Coast

Los Angeles - Wealthy, famous, celebrities, on the West Coast

Chicago - Not as wealthy as first three, fewer Ivy grads, more Big 10 grads, seen as more blue collar/All-American, in Midwest (not seen as sophisticated)

Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 AM

32,336 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Quote:
LA doesn't need to hold another city's nuts to prop up its importance either, its a monster by itself.
LA has 18 Million people but falls to a region with 10 Million less people in most key factors.

Does LA even have nuts?

Old 08-26-2015, 11:07 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,934,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Also the fact it's in the Midwest. The Coasts are always going to beat out the Midwest/Heartland in any type of prestige battle. It's like comparing the British Open or the Masters to the Waste Management Open.
Yeah, Im sure places like Newark, Jacksonville, Baltimore, are thought of as more "prestigious" than Chicago.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yeah, Im sure places like Newark, Jacksonville, Baltimore, are thought of as more "prestigious" than Chicago.
People like you love making these types of posts. As if it's not evident I'm talking about the regions as a whole. The point was that Chicago loses points because it's "in the Midwest." Nobody is going to deduct points from Baltimore for being sandwiched in between DC and NYC. That's seen as a positive thing.

Baltimore and Newark would likely be viewed more favorably than comparable Midwestern cities (Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Gary, Toledo, etc.).

Old 08-26-2015, 11:16 AM

553 posts, read 481,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you're talking about a few cities like London and Paris, then yes, they are more prestigious than LA.

I'd rank these four cities in the following order:

San Francisco - Wealthy, Golden Gate Bridge, Stanford, most Ivy League grads after NYC, most popular with SWPL crowd, seen as more high brow, cultured and sophisticated, "European" feel etc.

Washington, DC - Seat of power, wealthy, "European" feel, on the East Coast

Los Angeles - Wealthy, famous, celebrities, on the West Coast

Chicago - Not as wealthy as first three, fewer Ivy grads, more Big 10 grads, seen as more blue collar/All-American, in Midwest (not seen as sophisticated)
No, I'm speaking of other US cities like Chicago, Boston, DC, even Philly if we're solely looking at LA's urbanity and a city's characteristics. Those cities are urban, have great museums, great universities, two are finance centers etc. Do those reasons make these cities more prestigious than LA?

Old 08-26-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha no Chicago, SF and NY are perennial favorites in nearly every survey. Los Angeles is almost never mentioned.

And of course LA has more visitors, so does Orlando and Vegas. All the flashy towns attract lots of people.

But when people are asked to rate their visit, those cities sink while the actual favorite cities rise to the top.

This is not new either.

Let me know if you need more clarification.
San Francisco is a fine city that's just lucky to have Silicone Valley nearby. Without that, its nothing more than a west coast Boston, which is still good.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Haha no Chicago, SF and NY are perennial favorites in nearly every survey. Los Angeles is almost never mentioned.

And of course LA has more visitors, so does Orlando and Vegas. All the flashy towns attract lots of people.

But when people are asked to rate their visit, those cities sink while the actual favorite cities rise to the top.

This is not new either.

Let me know if you need more clarification.
Thanks for letting me know that Charleston, New Orleans, Savannah, and Santa Fe are more prestigious than San Francisco(and NYC based on this logic) no more clarification is needed.

9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Quote:
LA has 18 Million people but falls to a region with 10 Million less people in most key factors.

Does LA even have nuts?
SF doesn't have 10 million people, and LA doesn't fall to SF in any factor related to prestige.

Quote:
No, I'm speaking of other US cities like Chicago, Boston, DC, even Philly if we're solely looking at LA's urbanity and its characteristics. Those cities are urban, have great museums, great universities, two are finance centers etc. Do those reasons make these cities more prestigious than LA?
Well, you saw my list. I don't think Chicago is more prestigious than DC and LA for the reasons provided above. I would also say it's not as prestigious as Boston due to the history, concentration of wealth, Harvard, etc.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:22 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The Newark area is almost certainly more prestigious than the Chicago area. It's certainly much pricier and more affluent. Obviously the city itself is very troubled, but the area is probably one of the most desirable in the U.S.

The Baltimore area is also reasonably affluent.

Jacksonville, obviously no, and has nothing to do with the Northeast Corridor or the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or