Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Even Newark, as we've learned today!
Well I wouldn't go that far lol

Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No. of Pulitzer Prizes by Publication

New York Times - 109
Washington Post - 57
Los Angeles Times - 39
Wall Street Journal - 34

There really aren't that many newswriters the average person can name and most of them write for the NY Times or the Post (Woodward, Bernstein, Friedman, Brooks, Dowd, Krugman, Will, Blow, etc.). The evening news and Sunday morning news shows are dominated by a tiny handful of journalists from two newspapers.
Food critic Jonathan Gold is arguably the best thing going for the LA Times right now. He is the only food critic to ever win a Pulitzer, but received it before he jumped ship from the LA Weekly to the LA Times.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You and I are on the same wave length.

I was actually going to point out that the LA Times is clearly the most prestigious newspaper on the west coast, and adheres to the highest standards of journalistic excellence.

The Chronicle is an embarrassment by comparison, which is odd for such a well educated region.

Kudos to LA for that.
But, but...what about the San Jose Mercury News? All the news that fit to print...about the Sharks?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
But, but...what about the San Jose Mercury News? All the news that fit to print...about the Sharks?
Actually I really like the SJ Mercury News. I think its a rather good paper, much better than the Chron.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Is anybody else gonna question NYCs assumed superiority over the others (in my mind, D.C.)? Sure, NYC is the biggest, most powerful, most exclusive metro, but prestige? Do we consider Wall Street prestigious? We all know the UN is prestigious, but Broadway? Do the museums definitively seal the deal?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Is anybody else gonna question NYCs assumed superiority over the others (in my mind, D.C.)? Sure, NYC is the biggest, most powerful, most exclusive metro, but prestige? Do we consider Wall Street prestigious? We all know the UN is prestigious, but Broadway? Do the museums definitively seal the deal?
New York owns the private sector in America, through that the cashflow and finances of the business world, and unlike any other city in the United States save for the nation's capital, it also has diplomatic powers that influence geopolitical alignment. It is the headquarters and often meeting/converging point of the United Nations. Ask Russia how those sanctions are treating it these days with the global markets bypassing it in investment, trade, business and Russia's economy contracting steeply. That's what the United Nations can do.

I largely think only two cities in America have geopolitical power on a macro-scale: 1) the District of Columbia and 2) New York.

It's superiority and placement should not be questioned. However, other cities, San Francisco included do have some geopolitical power too (see below).

As an honorable mention though, San Francisco was the converging point during World War II, when the treaty was signed to end war with Japan, it was signed in San Francisco and the treaty and delegation named after San Francisco.

By the way, "Broadway" is synonymous with American Musicals the way Hollywood is synonymous with American Cinema -- so yes. In 2007, Broadway brought in over $1 Billion in ticket sales (which is a lot since its only a district in Manhattan), it hasn't surpassed that all-time high peak since but its power as American Musical is undeniable.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-26-2015 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 03:08 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Power is considered prestigious. Wall Street is very prestigious given the special role the Bank of New York plays in our financial system.

What We Do - Federal Reserve Bank of New York

The Second Circuit Court of Appeals is also the most prestigious federal circuit and the Southern District the most prestigious district (and by far the most difficult prosecutor's job to land in the United States). The Manhattan DA's office is the most difficult local prosecutor's office to land a job at.

The majority of the most prestigious law firms are in NYC. Same goes for most of the major accounting and consulting firms.

Most prestigious news publication in the U.S. by far and the largest news outlet.

Most prestigious ballet companies (shout out to Misty Copeland, a Cali girl, for making principal).

More NGOs and non-profits than anywhere outside of DC. Home of the U.N. and Council on Foreign Relations.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
DC's made strides but it's still suffers from being a town centered around being the seat of government and related industries (lobbyists, defense, think tanks, etc.) Its the same problem that every capital city has in nations where the capital was purposely located geographically separate from the nation's center(s) of commerce.

What's more prestigious?

São Paulo or Brasília?
Sydney or Canberra?
Toronto or Ottawa?
Zurich or Bern?
Shanghai or Beijing?

That being said, its amazing that DC has come so far and I'd consider it more prestigious, diverse and interesting than the other capital cities on that list except perhaps for Beijing.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
New York owns the private sector in America and unlike any other city in the United States it also has diplomatic powers that influence geopolitical alignment. It is the headquarters and often meeting/converging point of the United Nations. Ask Russia how those sanctions are treating it these days with the global markets bypassing it in investment, trade, business and Russia's economy contracting steeply. That's what the United Nations can do.

I largely think only two cities in America have geopolitical power on a macro-scale: 1) the District of Columbia and 2) New York.

It's superiority and placement should not be questioned. However, other cities, San Francisco included do have some geopolitical power too (see below).

As an honorable mention though, San Francisco was the converging point during World War II, when the treaty was signed to end war with Japan, it was signed in San Francisco and the treaty and delegation named after San Francisco.
This is all true, and I'm inclined to agree that NYC is top dog in prestige. However, I'm of the mindset that it isn't a runaway, and that D.C. is far closer to NYC than people here are suggesting.

Finance, in my opinion, isn't a prestigious profession. Powerful, yes, professional, yes, and important, yes, but prestigious? No. I think people are conflating wealth/power with prestige, and they're not the same. Prestige, as I view the term, is much more tied to the public/diplomatic sector and the ideals of selflessness that they hold/represent.

Now, I still give NYC the nod due to the UN and the sheer size/influence of NYCs less prestigious institutions (Broadway, museums, universities), but D.C. is right there to me, and even wins the prestige argument on a per capita basis.

Anything can be prestigious, given the right context. Nathan's hot dog eating contest is the most prestigious competitive eating contest in the world. But "prestige" by itself connotates government/religion/education above all else, to me. Anybody else inclined to agree? Is ballet dancer more prestigious than priest? Lawyer more prestigious than soldier? That's the crux of the argument, to me.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:20 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
New York owns the private sector in America, through that the cashflow and finances of the business world, and unlike any other city in the United States save for the nation's capital, it also has diplomatic powers that influence geopolitical alignment. It is the headquarters and often meeting/converging point of the United Nations. Ask Russia how those sanctions are treating it these days with the global markets bypassing it in investment, trade, business and Russia's economy contracting steeply. That's what the United Nations can do.

These cities are at the very pinnacle of industry.

Much easier to make the transition from Goldman NYC to a smaller shop anywhere else in America than vice versa.

No newspaper in America is going to see "New York Times" on a resume and toss it.

No law firm in America is going to see Cravath on a resume and toss it.

No tech company is going to see "Google" and discard your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City