U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2015, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Reputation: 11726

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSAMG View Post
Of course he's prestigious but he's not as prestigious than Warren Buffett.

Money rules all.

(Also, people look up to surgeons --no one looks up to congress)
Barack Obama doesn't have a lot of money. He has a lot less of it than Warren Buffett.

I mean, think of it this way. Why would a guy who makes millions of dollars a year give that up for the chance to make $400,000 per year? Why would Mitt Romney, Ross Perot, George Bush, Joseph Kennedy, Donald Trump or any of the other fat cats who have run for political office do that?

 
Old 08-26-2015, 04:22 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,981 posts, read 3,462,814 times
Reputation: 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSAMG View Post
pres·tige (prĕ-stēzh′, -stēj′)
n.
1. The level of respect at which a person or thing is regarded by others; standing: an act that boosted his prestige; a job with low prestige.
2. Good reputation; honor: Her accomplishments lent a lot of prestige to the college.
3. Great respect or importance: Doctors are usually treated with prestige.

I don't think most Americans think highly of Washington, DC... In fact, most think the complete opposite. This isn't the 1940s in which Americans admired and looked up to politicians. Americans strongly dislike "Washington" and politicians have no more prestige than investment bankers or Hollywood these days.

That explains Donald Trump...
Those Americans are either dumb or ignorant to think the Capitol of the most powerful place on Earth is the "opposite" of prestigious. A friend from Orlando visited me in DC not long ago and was in awe of how "sophisticated" not only the people but the city/region was. The overall wealth not to mention plentiful options for high paying jobs and activities for people of all backgrounds. Cities like Orlando, Fl or a hundred others I could name don't have Embassies from every corner of the globe with the museum collection that Washington DC has so of course there is a level of prestige seen there that 'middle America' for lack of a better term does not have.

BTW politicians make up probably less than 4% of the populace in DC, where as investment bankers make up a much larger percentage in NY or SF.
 
Old 08-26-2015, 04:23 PM
 
Location: LA
41 posts, read 29,769 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oh, okay.

In that case, Oxford isn't really prestigious since only academics really care about it. The only prestigious thing in the world seems to be soccer.
Apples to Oranges.

People don't dislike Oxford. People think negatively of politicians and don't respect them as such unless you're someone like President.
 
Old 08-26-2015, 04:23 PM
 
Location: MPLS/CHI
553 posts, read 482,617 times
Reputation: 389
Power, wealth, and popularity are all tied to prestige.
 
Old 08-26-2015, 04:28 PM
 
Location: LA
41 posts, read 29,769 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Those Americans are either dumb or ignorant to think the Capitol of the most powerful place on Earth is the "opposite" of prestigious. A friend from Orlando visited me in DC not long ago and was in awe of how "sophisticated" not only the people but the city/region was. The overall wealth not to mention plentiful options for high paying jobs and activities for people of all backgrounds. Cities like Orlando, Fl or a hundred others I could name don't have Embassies from every corner of the globe with the museum collection that Washington DC has so of course there is a level of prestige seen there that 'middle America' for lack of a better term does not have.

BTW politicians make up probably less than 4% of the populace in DC, where as investment bankers make up a much larger percentage in NY or SF.
LOL. If Washington DC were "sophisticated" and "prestigious" it wouldn't be actual flyover land to the world's actual sophisticated and prestigious people. Surely, somewhere "sophisticated and prestigious" would have dining and shopping worthy of prestige and sophistication? There seems to be a disconnect between what people who work there think of themselves and what the actual world thinks of them. Is there even a singe luxury store in Washington? It's odd that even to this day, the world's top fashion houses and greatest chefs (and billionaires, of course) don't find it worthy of their presence.

I'm sure the president can't wait until he's out of there so he can move somewhere more powerful so he can and mingle with his sophisticated & prestigious pals.
 
Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Downtown LA
1,192 posts, read 1,293,602 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
A friend from Orlando visited me in DC not long ago and was in awe of how "sophisticated" not only the people but the city/region was.
And we all know that Central Floridians are arbiters of all things sophisticated.
 
Old 08-26-2015, 04:46 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,486,196 times
Reputation: 3543
Well, after considerable argument and deliberation, the only thing we can conclude about the inherently subjective interpretation of “most prestigious” is Los Angeles is just kicking the living snot out of the others in the poll. Thank you for your service. Remember, you must submit your receipts to the clerk to be reimbursed at the per diem rate.
 
Old 08-26-2015, 05:29 PM
 
251 posts, read 190,463 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Los Angeles more prestigious than San Francisco? That's almost impossible to prove with facts, because it's not true.

San Francisco has the most prestigious downtown and is the most venerable business address on the West Coast. By Far.

In California, to conduct business from San Francisco's Financial District means you are taken more seriously as a company. It's because of SF's prestige that it is a way more expensive place to rent/ lease office space than anywhere in SoCal.

San Francisco has the most prestigious and highly regarded suburbs( more BY FAR), the most prestigious urban neighborhoods( does LA even have any prestigious urban neighborhoods? Certainly not near downtown)

San Francisco has the most prestigious academic institutions( and that applies to public/ private K-12 as well)

Los Angeles does exceptionally well as far as cultural institutions usually associated with "prestige", but then so does San Francisco. I actually would say that the combined Ballet+Opera+Symphony trio in SF tops LA but I still like the collection of LAs museums more than SF, but SFs museums have undergone and are undergoing much more dramatic and highly publicized expansions at the moment so I'll reserve judgement on museums.

We really could go on and on but its clear that some of you are confusing celebrity/ fame as prestige. That's laughable.

Within California, only people in places like Victorville or Bakersfield would ever say LA is more prestigious than SF.

Dont get me wrong, within CA, SF is blasted as a bossy, tempermental, liberal, hippie, socialist haven. But it's still considered more prestigious than LA. Actually by a very wide margin.

This is yet another way that SF beats LA in a category that LA should win.
Hmmm your argument is very flawed. SF alone cannot stand against the sheer size of the LA economy. LA has millions more people and it's physical size is more than 10 times that of SF. It's just not in the same league of SF. SF is the financial heart of the Bay Area which is riding a high wave of wealth as the center of an economic boom spurred by the tech industry. However, when this boom cycle goes bust, the Bay Area will be left pretty vulnerable. The LA region still has a more diverse economic sector and though things have been stagnant the past few years, the region is still has far more gravitas than the Bay Area nationally and internationally due to the city being host to epicenter of American media and entertainment.
 
Old 08-26-2015, 05:48 PM
 
251 posts, read 190,463 times
Reputation: 229
Honestly, this contest can be settled by just looking at how the cities in the list are ranked through a Global Cities Index which ranks the cities across a variety of sectors (e.g. economic, political, social, and cultural areas).

After NYC, LA and Chicago are generally ranked as the next leading cities in the nation, serving as the command centers that link their respective regions to the world economy.

LA being a major port and media center and Chicago being the largest intermodal transit hub to the world's largest economy (as well as being a 2nd financial center to the US after NYC).

SF is a very wealthy city of course, and for it's comparatively smaller population it definitely punches above it's weight. However, it's wealth still doesn't amount to the size of cities like LA and CHI. SF has unfortunately become more of a "boutique" city in the last few decades.
 
Old 08-26-2015, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,512 posts, read 2,974,976 times
Reputation: 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
I can't believe I'm actually reading anonymous internet users having a bathroom wall argument over whether San Francisco or Los Angeles is better. In fact, I used to love San Francisco until I came onto this website. I didn't know it was basically the greatest city in the universe and center of everything 2015. In the real world, you know, when you talk to people face to face, nobody ****ing cares.

Is anyone really changing anyone's minds here? I would say no. You're just flaunting your egos and your cities.

We'd probably be better off here arguing about something that actually matters.

Anyway, continue your meaningless debate city-dorks.
Why don't you start a topic about something that actually matters then? If anything, the only one flaunting their ego here is you. This is "clearly" beneath you.

Lol at the dork comment. So you actually take the time to register your email address on a website specifically geared for city/state discussions, out of all the places on the web, then proceed to find one of the most niche forums on that website just to post, but you're not a dork? Okaay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top