U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,958,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
But he's not wrong.
How was he not?

Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,473,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
How was he not?
Aceoss the board. You know it as well as I.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 AM

Prestige is not simply about money or elitism or square feet. It's more to do with high levels of public service and education, and I don't think this thread is getting it yet. Those other factors may or may not be products of prestige, but they're not the primary factor, and I don't think we should use them as the defining criteria.

"Harris does not give a definition of prestigious in its poll. This year, it simply said: "Below is a list of occupations. For each how, if at all, prestigious do you find the occupation?" Based on the responses, it seems like the average American considers prestigious jobs to be ones that require either a fairly high level of education or a fairly high level of public service. Americans notably do not equate prestige with fame—actors and entertainers fall in the bottom half of the choices. Money doesn't seem to matter much, either, with lawyers, business executives, and bankers also falling lower on the list."

Old 08-27-2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Aceoss the board. You know it as well as I.
I really don't. Yes, some arguments devolve into stupidity and/or shouting matches, and yes, there are trolls, but for the most part, there's actually a lot of healthy debate and good information shared on this website. And I don't see how partaking of that makes one a dork. And I REALLY don't see how joining a site one supposedly doesn't like to complain and name call doesn't reek of hypocrisy/stupidity.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:08 AM

41 posts, read 29,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
The Rothschilds have had real estate in and around the Bay Area for many many decades, and have been part of the social scene. So go tell the Rothschilds what?
Hahhah, now you have to resort to lying. Saying something will not magically make it come true. No, they have no traceable homes in San Francisco, and no they're not part of San Francisco's dire "social scene". They're in places that matter, and unfortunately that does not include unfabulous San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Also, all these people conflating how much money a person spends on a house somewhere with "prestige". The Hearsts, Getty's, and a good chunk of the same overall families/social names who live in New York and have $30+M Hamptons houses might have a cozy $3-10M house in San Francisco. But you're not going to get that by looking at a list of $10+M houses...some places on that list are inhabited by A LOT of rappers and pro-athletes. Would it be elitist to not consider that demographic necessarily "prestigious"?
Don't be ridiculous. San Francisco is noticeably shunned by the global wealthy. It is of no interest to people who don't live/work there. I can not think of a single high-profile, jet setting person in the top cities that has a home in San Francisco. But do you blame them? What would be the raison d'Ítre for someone used to living in the lap of luxury in world's finest cities to lower themselves and land that jet in dull San Francisco? San Francisco has a burgeoning job market, but it has never been a city of allure to the world's mega-wealthy. It's just not a thing.

On the other hand, the number of tech moguls who own homes in the other places are huge and traceable. To be honest, San Francisco is oppressively dreary if you're into living in the lap of luxury, surrounded by interesting and glamorous people and things/events. It has never been a thing amongst this set, unless you're a nerd tied to the industry. I do not blame your biggest techies for dropping massive amounts of money on homes elsewhere.

Quote:
Literally all 4 cities on this list are part of the Social Diary.
Yes, San Francisco has it's home grown wealth due to being the seat of the technology industry, so it would be a bit odd if they didn't have a social diary (hey, even Dallas has one). But it's a horrorshow if you go look at the photos. It's really no wonder Laurene Powell Jobs spends most of her time down here. Do you blame her?

Anonelitist, dear, please don't tell me you really thought San Francisco was any sort of globe-trotting mogul's playground. I hate to have to be the one to tell you that you don't live in one of those cities, but I had to do it.

Why is it so easy to find these stories about LA, NYC, etc. but never SF?

Laurene Powell Jobs $44 million Malibu home - Business Insider
Google Billionaire Eric Schmidt Spent $15 Million On A New York Penthouse - Business Insider

...there are literally hundreds of such links.

Now go ahead and find me [x important person (that doesn't work there)] buys San Francisco home. It will take you a longgg time buddy. Hahha. Congrats on tech, but your moguls (and the world's moguls) would rather be elsewhere.

Last edited by GTSAMG; 08-27-2015 at 04:49 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSAMG View Post
Hahhah, now you have to resort to lying. Saying something will not magically make it come true. No, they have no traceable homes in San Francisco, and no they're not part of San Francisco's dire "social scene". They're in places that matter, and unfortunately that does not include unfabulous San Francisco.

Don't be ridiculous. San Francisco is noticeably shunned by the global wealthy. It is of no interest to people who don't live/work there. I can not think of a single high-profile, jet setting person in the top cities that has a home in San Francisco. But do you blame them? What would be the raison d'Ítre for someone used to living in the lap of luxury in world's finest cities bother with someplace as dull as San Francisco? San Francisco has a burgeoning job market, but it has never been an elite, coveted global city.

On the other hand, the number of tech moguls who own homes in the other places are huge and traceable. Let's be honest here.

Yes, San Francisco has it's home grown wealth due to being the seat of the technology industry, so it would be a bit odd if they didn't have a social diary (hey, even Dallas has one).

But it's a horrorshow if you go look at the photos.
More wealth bull***t. Sigh. I'm not a fan of "San Francisco" either, but c'mon, let's progress beyond traceable homes and the globally wealthy to actual prestige. Wealth by itself doesn't cut it.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:39 AM

If we're gonna define prestige simply as "money, power, respect", as evident in this thread, fine, but the order argued here is wrong. We shouldn't be talking pure wealth here, nor simply power. Prestige is tied closest to respect. Respect, power, money, as it were. Teachers, for example, have terrible pay, even professors relatively, but they're a top 10 most prestigious profession. Instead of million dollar mansions, we should be arguing admiration and influence. Which of these cities has the most individuals to look up to, and not just simply covet?

Old 08-27-2015, 04:52 AM

41 posts, read 29,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
If we're gonna define prestige simply as "money, power, respect", as evident in this thread, fine, but the order argued here is wrong. We shouldn't be talking pure wealth here, nor simply power. Prestige is tied closest to respect. Respect, power, money, as it were. Teachers, for example, have terrible pay, even professors relatively, but they're a top 10 most prestigious profession. Instead of million dollar mansions, we should be arguing admiration and influence. Which of these cities has the most individuals to look up to, and not just simply covet?
You're dreaming. It's late very early in the morning out there so you probably just need to go back to bed. Prestige is also about wealth and being ultra-desireable. Teachers are respected, but not prestigious.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:49 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,219,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, of course if you're including NYC as part of the Newark "area." Notice how you slipped in "area" when the original comment just mentioned the cities. What a dumb comment. City Data is like a weird, alternate reality sometimes.
No, that was all you. We were never talking city propers, and I never claimed as such. How "dumb" of me to actually follow the thread and state facts, instead of trying to make a trolling point like yours.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:51 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,219,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSAMG View Post
Now go ahead and find me [x important person (that doesn't work there)] buys San Francisco home. It will take you a longgg time buddy. Hahha. Congrats on tech, but your moguls (and the world's moguls) would rather be elsewhere.
Even the richest tech moguls don't want to be in the Bay Area. Sergey Brin doesn't want to be there. He would rather spend $50 million somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or