U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:35 AM

32,206 posts, read 54,858,011 times

Advertisements

Awww someone keeps exposing themselves as a daft pretender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSAMG
Yes, San Francisco has it's home grown wealth due to being the seat of the technology industry
Haha no dear, San Francisco's wealth goes back to the mid 1800s, Gold Barons, Railroad Barons, Bankers, Industrialists, etc. San Francisco is the west coast's old money, something the ticky tacky, freakshow Kardashian-Wests and their nincompoop followers could never grasp. The City has the biggest social scene( as in socialites and high society) on the west coast by far. Once again, this is not new darling, those who would know, do. You clearly wouldnt know. LOL.

Oh, and it was San Francisco's multigenerational wealth that eventually financed the techies, so yeah thanks.

Quote:
It's really no wonder Laurene Powell Jobs spends most of her time down here.
Haha I realize you wish you could be us, but a resort-sized property great for vacays are not uncommon for Bay Area elite. This appears to be LAs emerging role for Nor Cal, a relaxing weekend getaway away from the cut throat, super competitive world of Silicon Valley. Think of yourselves as our Hamptons or our Miami Beach. Once we've rejuvinated, it's back HOME to The City and Silicon Valley rat race.

Los Angeles is like our little retreat. How cute. And really those homes down there are rather a bargain for the small town-sized lots one gets, actually kind of a steal.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 AM

28,123 posts, read 26,034,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSAMG View Post
You're dreaming. It's late very early in the morning out there so you probably just need to go back to bed. Prestige is also about wealth and being ultra-desireable. Teachers are respected, but not prestigious.
What are you talking about? Look at the great dynastic families in American history.

Astor
Rockefeller
Kennedy
Vanderbilt
Carnegie

The one thread that ties them all together is a long lineage of high school teachers and police officers. If you want to immortalize your family name, then Teach For America is the way to go. Business and politics should be eschewed at all costs.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 AM

3,155 posts, read 1,578,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yeah, Im sure places like Newark, Jacksonville, Baltimore, are thought of as more "prestigious" than Chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The Newark area is almost certainly more prestigious than the Chicago area. It's certainly much pricier and more affluent. Obviously the city itself is very troubled, but the area is probably one of the most desirable in the U.S.

The Baltimore area is also reasonably affluent.

Jacksonville, obviously no, and has nothing to do with the Northeast Corridor or the discussion.
Quote:
No, that was all you. We were never talking city propers, and I never claimed as such. How "dumb" of me to actually follow the thread and state facts, instead of trying to make a trolling point like yours.
What are you talking about?? You make yourself look more foolish every time you post. Your initial comment about the Newark "area" being more prestigious than the Chicago "area" was in response to a post that mentioned Newark/J'Ville/Bmore in comparison to Chicago (See Above). The post mentioned nothing about "areas," so that poster was talking about "city-propers" yet you responded by comparing the "areas." That is what I was referencing in my response to you.

So try again smart-guy!! It's obvious you have no clue. And you calling someone a troll is comical!!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:20 AM

32,206 posts, read 54,858,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What are you talking about? Look at the great dynastic families in American history.

Astor
Rockefeller
Kennedy
Vanderbilt
Carnegie

The one thread that ties them all together is a long lineage of high school teachers and police officers. If you want to immortalize your family name, then Teach For America is the way to go. Business and politics should be eschewed at all costs.
Yes, among the crowd in question, charity work is also a huge status symbol.

Pacific Heights - wealthy families who give back - SFGate

Old 08-27-2015, 08:23 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,174,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
What are you talking about?? You make yourself look more foolish every time you post. Your initial comment about the Newark "area" being more prestigious than the Chicago "area" was in response to a post that mentioned Newark/J'Ville/Bmore in comparison to Chicago (See Above).
Exactly. Glad you finally admit you're wrong.
Quote:
The post mentioned nothing about "areas," so that poster was talking about "city-propers" yet you responded by comparing the "areas." That is what I was referencing in my response to you.
No, you made that up. There was no mention of city propers only. That would be completely nonsensical.
Quote:
So try again smart-guy!! It's obvious you have no clue. And you calling someone a troll is comical!!
Wait, so a troll won't actually admit trolling? What an utter shock!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 AM

3,155 posts, read 1,578,507 times
Quote:
Exactly. Glad you finally admit you're wrong.

No, you made that up. There was no mention of city propers only. That would be completely nonsensical.

Wait, so a troll won't actually admit trolling? What an utter shock!
You need to get back on your meds because you sound really are delusional,haha. It's actually pretty scary, so don't be afraid to get help!
It's ok though Troll, if it makes you feel better, then keep looking like a fool

Last edited by personone; 08-27-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,204,860 times
Quote:
Hahhah, now you have to resort to lying. Saying something will not magically make it come true. No, they have no traceable homes in San Francisco, and no they're not part of San Francisco's dire "social scene". They're in places that matter, and unfortunately that does not include unfabulous San Francisco.

Don't be ridiculous. San Francisco is noticeably shunned by the global wealthy. It is of no interest to people who don't live/work there. I can not think of a single high-profile, jet setting person in the top cities that has a home in San Francisco. But do you blame them? What would be the raison d'ętre for someone used to living in the lap of luxury in world's finest cities to lower themselves and land that jet in dull San Francisco? San Francisco has a burgeoning job market, but it has never been a city of allure to the world's mega-wealthy. It's just not a thing.

On the other hand, the number of tech moguls who own homes in the other places are huge and traceable. To be honest, San Francisco is oppressively dreary if you're into living in the lap of luxury, surrounded by interesting and glamorous people and things/events. It has never been a thing amongst this set, unless you're a nerd tied to the industry. I do not blame your biggest techies for dropping massive amounts of money on homes elsewhere.

Yes, San Francisco has it's home grown wealth due to being the seat of the technology industry, so it would be a bit odd if they didn't have a social diary (hey, even Dallas has one). But it's a horrorshow if you go look at the photos. It's really no wonder Laurene Powell Jobs spends most of her time down here. Do you blame her?

Anonelitist, dear, please don't tell me you really thought San Francisco was any sort of globe-trotting mogul's playground. I hate to have to be the one to tell you that you don't live in one of those cities, but I had to do it.

Why is it so easy to find these stories about LA, NYC, etc. but never SF?

Laurene Powell Jobs $44 million Malibu home - Business Insider
Google Billionaire Eric Schmidt Spent $15 Million On A New York Penthouse - Business Insider

...there are literally hundreds of such links.

Now go ahead and find me [x important person (that doesn't work there)] buys San Francisco home. It will take you a longgg time buddy. Hahha. Congrats on tech, but your moguls (and the world's moguls) would rather be elsewhere.

I'm just not even going to go there. Let's put it this way, for the same reasons Real Housewives hasn't even come to the Bay Area, Million Dollar Listing just came to SF and has been struggling big time. This is a city of amazing privacy when it comes to real estate, charity, and investments. It doesn't cherish flashiness or publicity, and it's an incredibly odd city for those looking in, even those looking around from inside. It's not set up well for any sort of Hollywood takeover, and shuns that culture (I'd say despises is an appropriate word). But rest assured, there are amazing, glamorous super interesting people that call it home. Burning Man is this/next week. Despite the press that there are some moguls that go, it is truly only a San Francisco story. The funkiness that resulted in Burning Man is the eccentricity found from bottom to top in the city, poor to rich, and it's always been. The party/social scene is wild, and the matters on people's minds are different than elsewhere. There is no city like it. You better believe that many a stalwart family has ties and a home or apartment in the city, and no you can't often trace it just like you can know where every celebrity lives in LA or NYC. Believe or not. I could care less. San Francisco was it out west for generations before LA even came online. And even when LA came online, the two cities remained incredibly different, and still do to this day. Incredibly different people are attracted to each.

The sarcastic, biting, and childish tone you take on sounds very much like the one NOLA uses (ignore list so I can't see what crazy stuff he's saying until someone quotes him).

There are two buckets of posters on this thread. You're in one. I'm in the other. I'm in the DC/SF camp, and if Chicago had to be lumped, I'd put it in the DC/SF camp as well. I don't think there's anything prestigious about LA.

San Francisco is the old time, concentrated cultural hub of the West. San Francisco Opera, the 2nd largest in the country, was founded by a neapolitan before Hollywood even came to be a part of LA. LA's current opera formed in 1986, the one prior (first one) in the late 40s (just one example of how much more established SF is than LA). SFMOMA was started in the 30s and will complete a $600M expansion next year. While two different and distinct neighborhoods, one can walk from the Beaux Artes Opera House in Civic Center to the Botta/Snohetta designed SFMOMA in Yerba Buena near Union Square, and in between pass by one of the oldest/largest theater districts in the world and shopping that rivals Beverly Hills, but with an older more established feel (old department stores and shops included).

One won't pass palm trees and Ferrari dealerships or gated mansions. One will see homeless. So, it's not for everyone. But it has an edge and classic setup that appeals to old money, new money, eccentrics, and creatives, and everyone is nearby. It's not the cozy, private, exclusive vacation-like environment that LA can offer. But it's not my view that the environment LA offers is prestigious at all.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:44 AM

553 posts, read 477,181 times
The Bay Area should be careful with this boom cycle. I mean, I wouldn't want its bubble to burst but many people fear its coming, especially with the recent Dow Jones incident that tech companies just saw yesterday. The overwhelming theme I'm seeing based on reading is that a lot of companies are being over-valuated and some companies receiving venture capital aren't even turning a profit.

Earlier this week, the Dow Jones Industrial Average suffered its largest intraday loss in history. With it, several major Bay Area stocks sunk low. Shares of Twitter dipped below their IPO price, and talk inevitably turned to the long-expected "market correction"

Perhaps the biggest impact, for many, will be emotional, and will be a notch in the adult-experience belts of many young people earning big salaries that may not be sustainable in a "corrected" market
Life After The Boom: What Will Happen When This Bubble Bursts: SFist

-------------------

Less than two weeks after investor Mark Cuban warned us all that the Silicon Valley sky is getting ready to fall, another VC is making similar predictions: that the Bay Area is in a "risk bubble" and, when it pops, tech companies, companies that do business with those tech joints, and area real estate are all going to suffer

This time the doomsayer is investor Bill Gurley, who has money in Uber, DropBox, SnapChat and co-working real-estate play WeWork, among others. Gurley, who's described with superlatives like "tech's most prominent investor" by various tech pubs, was speaking at SXSW when he made his predictions, and they aren't all that rosy. Some quotes:

-I don’t know that we are in a valuation bubble,” Gurley said. “We are taking on, in these startups, especially these so-called unicorns, a level of risk that we haven’t seen since 1999.” - Silicon Hills

-There is no fear in Silicon Valley right now,” he said. “A complete absence of fear.” He added that more people are employed by money-losing companies in Silicon Valley than ever before. - Fortune

-If there is indeed a collapse, Mr. Gurley says, it will not just be the tech industry that feels the pain. Real estate, for example, could take a hit. Home prices in the San Francisco Bay area have appreciated by 97 percent since January 2000, according to a study published by the Paragon Real Estate group. If the influx of tech industry wealth begins to dry up, Bay-area property owners will have to deal with the potential drop in prices. - NY Times
Uber Investor: The Bay Area Bubble Will Pop This Year, And More Than Tech Will Suffer: SFist

There are more articles starting to stating the same thing

Why no one can reliably predict a tech bubble - San Francisco Chronicle

Are we on the verge of another Silicon Valley tech bubble bursting? | abc7news.com

How many unicorns before the tech bubble bursts? | InfoWorld

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...-is-near/?_r=0

-----------

Do we have a ticking time bomb on hand? The debate over whether Silicon Valley is sitting on another tech bubble rages on. It is being fueled by many celebrated “unicorns” that have attracted billions of investor dollars at sky-high valuations without demonstrating the returns.

These unicorns are fast becoming the new normal in the VC space. CB Insights states that over 103 startups in the U.S. have bagged over a $1 billion valuation right now. Most of them are not even remotely close to making any profit. The race to find the next Facebook is driving many on the Sand Hill Road to write outrageous checks for unsubstantiated concepts. Metrics like operating margins, break-even points and future cash flows seem to have taken a backseat.

Someday, pretty soon, these will be put to the test, and valuations based on visibility of earnings will matter again. A few will succeed of course, but several others will fall – it remains to be seen how miserably. VCs will most likely walk away with their invested money, if not more. It’s the employees and founders who will see their million-dollar dreams crash and burn.
Who Will Be Hurt Most When The Tech Bubble Bursts? Not VCs | TechCrunch

-----

Now, I'm no tech expert or economist, but if some of these predictions come true(and they're all from this year), the Bay Area posters will be knocked right off of their high horses. What goes up, must come down and I want to see every place succeed, but you Bay Area posters with your elitist attitudes make me want to see you eat your own crow.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 AM

3,509 posts, read 2,939,500 times
Quote:
You're dreaming. It's late very early in the morning out there so you probably just need to go back to bed. Prestige is also about wealth and being ultra-desireable. Teachers are respected, but not prestigious.
Clearly, you don't understand prestige. Snooki from Jersey Shore is wealthy and ultra desirable (not to me, but hey, tastes)--is she now prestigious? Lol. You simply don't understand the concept of prestige, and I'm laughing because you're playing Montclair's money game, and you're losing.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:03 AM

553 posts, read 477,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Clearly, you don't understand prestige. Snooki from Jersey Shore is wealthy and ultra desirable (not to me, but hey, tastes)--is she now prestigious? You simply don't understand the concept of prestige, and I'm laughing because you're playing Montclair's money game, and you're losing.
One could argue that money is tied to prestige. Take Harvard, one of the most, if not the most prestigious university in the country. Harvard grads tend to make a lot of money, due to the fact that the school is prestigious. Harvard also has a huge endowment, but would it be as prestigious if its endowment wasn't so large or if its alumni base wasn't so wealthy? Its a fair question.

Look at museums, as many of the most prestigious ones receive donations, whether monetarily or through items exhibited in the museums, from wealthy people. Would those places still be as prestigious w/o the wealthy people backing/supporting them?

I'm not saying money equals prestige, but money is sometimes associated with prestige in some form or fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or