U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2015, 10:52 AM
 
Location: MPLS/CHI
553 posts, read 446,074 times
Reputation: 382

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He was Chairman of the Fed.

And when Murray says "national culture," I think he's talking more about things like the Carnegie or Ford Foundations, which has had a far larger impact on our society than most oblivious Americans realize.
You're right, I worded it wrong

 
Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 AM
 
Location: MPLS/CHI
553 posts, read 446,074 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Prestige creates wealth, not the other way around. America's most prestigious professions aren't poor, but they don't make obscene amounts of money, either. CEOs, bankers, celebrities--they all fall low on the prestige list when compared to scientists, priests and teachers, despite the fact that they make more money. One can be prestigious without being wealthy, and the inverse is true as well.

Harvard does have a huge endowment, you're right, but you could argue that has a lot to do with fame and popularity as well. Dartmouth, another Ivy League school that is lesser known, has a smaller endowment than less prestigious state schools like Michigan and Virginia.

Now, I do think your argument that wealth has to back prestige is intriguing. Even the Church receives a lot of donations, so there's merit to that claim. Prestige, to me, usually does become tied to wealth, but not always. Look at teachers. Look at firefighters. Look at priests. Sure, there are outliers, and the above aren't exactly starving, but generally, they're not making reality t.v. star pay. They're not making real estate broker pay. But they are more respected with the public.

I see your point, and I kind of agree with you, but I don't agree with what this thread is turning into. UHNWIs and real estate listings aren't a true measure of prestige. As Montclair loves to remind us, the Kardashian-West clan are fabulously wealthy, but prestigious? Lol. Prestige is part of that money, power, respect triangle, sure, but hinges far more on the respect angle than the others. That's why "old" money keeps being referenced. It isn't so much about the money as it is the respect earned from keeping it.
I agree with much of your post, but I do want to address the part in bold. Those schools are prestigious in a different way. They're pretty good schools educational wise, but their sports programs are prestigious, especially college football. I would think that has something to do with their endowments being higher than Dartmouth's.
 
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM
 
Location: MPLS/CHI
553 posts, read 446,074 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Let's face it - it goes both ways, not just one. Money can easily impress and raise your prestige. If you have prestige, you can turn it into cash. Pretty undeniable both ways - they are interconnected.

Rich guys can spend to gain high office; Highly elected officials can use their position to increase capital.
Agreed
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
I agree with much of your post, but I do want to address the part in bold. Those schools are prestigious in a different way. They're pretty good schools educational wise, but their sports programs are prestigious, especially college football. I would think that has something to do with their endowments being higher than Dartmouth's.
They are just bigger schools than Dartmouth; Dartmouth has more money on a per capita basis. Princeton, I believe, has more money than any other school in the world on a per capita basis. That's why Princeton students are always doing crazy stuff like flying to Tokyo to complete a group research paper on the Last Emperor or some non-sense like that.

Not all of the Ivies are that great anyway. The lesser Ivies (Cornell, Dartmouth and Brown) lose out on the cross-admit battle to a few non-Ivies (Chicago, Duke, and sometimes Berkeley). That's ultimately what schools care about at the end of the day.
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,664 posts, read 18,211,833 times
Reputation: 11164
Seems like all these arguments boil down to: New York is the most prestigious city in the U.S... and then there's everywhere else.

As if we didn't know that already. lol.
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 AM
 
Location: LA
41 posts, read 27,685 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I'm just not even going to go there. Let's put it this way, for the same reasons Real Housewives hasn't even come to the Bay Area, Million Dollar Listing just came to SF and has been struggling big time. This is a city of amazing privacy when it comes to real estate, charity, and investments. It doesn't cherish flashiness or publicity, and it's an incredibly odd city for those looking in, even those looking around from inside. It's not set up well for any sort of Hollywood takeover, and shuns that culture (I'd say despises is an appropriate word). But rest assured, there are amazing, glamorous super interesting people that call it home. Burning Man is this/next week. Despite the press that there are some moguls that go, it is truly only a San Francisco story. The funkiness that resulted in Burning Man is the eccentricity found from bottom to top in the city, poor to rich, and it's always been. The party/social scene is wild, and the matters on people's minds are different than elsewhere. There is no city like it. You better believe that many a stalwart family has ties and a home or apartment in the city, and no you can't often trace it just like you can know where every celebrity lives in LA or NYC. Believe or not. I could care less. San Francisco was it out west for generations before LA even came online. And even when LA came online, the two cities remained incredibly different, and still do to this day. Incredibly different people are attracted to each.
That's not a valid excuse, anonelitist. Property records are public information, and any high profile person who purchases property is eventually revealed. There is no veil of secrecy that's specific to San Francisco. After all, the press knew when Mark Zuckerberg purchased his San Francisco property, didn't they? Hmmm?

You don't hear about sales from outside of the tech world because they don't exist. Aint' nobody checkin' for San Francisco, boo.

And MDLSF ratings are in the toilet because San Francisco is boring. No one is interested.

Quote:
San Francisco is the old time, concentrated cultural hub of the West. San Francisco Opera, the 2nd largest in the country, was founded by a neapolitan before Hollywood even came to be a part of LA. LA's current opera formed in 1986, the one prior (first one) in the late 40s (just one example of how much more established SF is than LA). SFMOMA was started in the 30s and will complete a $600M expansion next year. While two different and distinct neighborhoods, one can walk from the Beaux Artes Opera House in Civic Center to the Botta/Snohetta designed SFMOMA in Yerba Buena near Union Square, and in between pass by one of the oldest/largest theater districts in the world and shopping that rivals Beverly Hills, but with an older more established feel (old department stores and shops included)

One won't pass palm trees and Ferrari dealerships or gated mansions. One will see homeless. So, it's not for everyone. But it has an edge and classic setup that appeals to old money, new money, eccentrics, and creatives, and everyone is nearby. It's not the cozy, private, exclusive vacation-like environment that LA can offer. But it's not my view that the environment LA offers is prestigious at all.
Yawn. Go take your sales pitch on a world tour because nobody is listening lol.
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Reputation: 9775
Dartmouth is a tiny college; University of Michigan is a huge, comprehensive university, with virtually every type of graduate program. It isn't surprising that Michigan has a larger endowment even if Dartmouth is more prestigious.

It would be like saying there are more wealthy in India than in Switzerland; therefore India is richer than Switzerland. Doesn't really make sense.
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,135,870 times
Reputation: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSAMG View Post
That's not a valid excuse, anonelitist. Property records are public information, and any high profile person who purchases property is eventually revealed. There is no veil of secrecy that's specific to San Francisco. After all, the press knew when Mark Zuckerberg purchased his San Francisco property, didn't they? Hmmm?

You don't hear about sales from outside of the tech world because they don't exist. Aint' nobody checkin' for San Francisco, boo.

And MDLSF ratings are in the toilet because San Francisco is boring. No one is interested.



Yawn. And the global elite still doesn't like San Francisco. It's not LA. Go take your sales pitch on the a world tour because nobody is listening lol.
Ok
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:10 AM
 
Location: LA
41 posts, read 27,685 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Ok
You finally get it.

Don't be mad bro
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Dartmouth is a tiny college; University of Michigan is a huge, comprehensive university, with virtually every type of graduate program. It isn't surprising that Michigan has a larger endowment even if Dartmouth is more prestigious.

It would be like saying there are more wealthy in India than in Switzerland; therefore India is richer than Switzerland. Doesn't really make sense.
You also have some tiny schools in the Northeast--Swarthmore, Williams, Wellesley, Smith, etc.--that have have huge endowments. $2 billion is a lot of money for a school that's smaller than many American high schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top