U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,968,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I dunno about y'all, but this is the ONLY prestige I care about
I was waiting for this throughout the thread lol. Did you play the beta? It's gonna be all about Black Ops III very soon

Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I stand corrected. The top tier prestigious schools are far more wealthy on average. My Dartmouth-Michigan comparison simply doesn't work.

Thankfully, there's West Point and the other service academies to help my case. Inarguably one of the most selective and prestigious institutions in the country, yet the endowment is not excessively large ($233,000,000), not even on a per capita basis ($50,751). Again, prestige isn't always about huge sums of money.
The U.S. Naval Academy doesn't need a large endowment because it is backed by the federal government. It's the same way private museums (i.e., the Getty in LA) have larger endowments than the Smithsonian but don't have nearly the resources the Smithsonian has its disposal (which is why the Smithsonian can let you wander around all those museums without paying one red cent). It doesn't make any sense to compare them to each other.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:13 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,194,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I was waiting for this throughout the thread lol. Did you play the beta? It's gonna be all about Black Ops III very soon
Nah not yet. I've been too busy with stupid adult responsibilities to play anything :/ I'm waiting for the prices of the PS4 to go down before I get one.

I actually burned myself out on Black Ops. I'm pretty stoked for Fallout 4 to come out. It's gonna take place in Boston. Pretty excited to hear what a Super Mutant sounds like with a New England accent.

Now THAT'S prestigious!

Old 08-27-2015, 12:15 PM

42,536 posts, read 3,496,299 times
Definitely Los Angeles.

80 or 100 years ago, it was probably Chicago.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,968,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Money and fame certainly DO NOT make a person classy or refined, or give one access to the upper echelons of high society. Hardly.

Look at the most prestigious COOPs in Manhattan-they routinely turn away applicants who are fabulously rich and famous because they think said star is beneath the PRESTIGE and image of their building.
No, having access to wealth and the trappings of wealth still does not automatically confer prestige. Money makes it easier to earn prestige, sure, but at the end of the day, prestige has to be EARNED. Kim knows this, which is why she (and that whole family) tries so hard to NOT be viewed as just reality trash.

Kim Kardashian speaks at prestigious Commonwealth Club in San Francisco | abc7news.com

Old 08-27-2015, 12:19 PM

2,151 posts, read 2,660,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwriter View Post
Definitely Los Angeles.

80 or 100 years ago, it was probably Chicago.
Ouch.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:20 PM

32,322 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder
I'm not denying wealth's role in prestige. Prestigious people usually are wealthy. But that's not the defining criteria of prestige. There are prestigious professions that don't make a ton of money, and there are wealthy "professions" that aren't viewed as prestigious in the slightest.
I ascribe a lot of weight to educational attainment to the prestige of a place and usually the most desirable places that are considered prestigious are populated by wealthy+educated people, but they dont have to be filthy rich as you state. $200,000 a year is more than decent and provides a relatively comfortable life nowadays.

But back to educational attainment.

The Bay Area clearly has clusters of highly educated areas, The City itself, being an extremely well educated place, and this shows in the quality of life in The City, which if we look at the commensurately sized in around the area of Downtown LA, is night and day.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:24 PM

251 posts, read 189,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But back to this:

LOL

Im just saying, Bel Air is very nice, but there's something about a rich. urban feeling neighborhood that just exudes a prestige and class that you cant really find in more suburban settings.

On the West Coast, it doesnt get more prestigious than Pacific Heights.

my pics.

I think it's disgusting that 18Montclair keeps referring to the homes of the wealthy elite to justify how important a city is. Frankly, a city that exclusively caters to the rich has so many issues to grapple with on a socio economic and ethical level.

You focus on how well the rich are doing in these cities and don't even think about the size and influence of the middle class in the metro areas we are discussing, aren't they the principal driving force of the economy? historically being the largest demographic, am i right? The number of billionaires in cities is really only high lighting a severe problem of income inequality for SF and NYC.

More importantly, just because a lot of rich people own nice properties in SF, it doesn't mean that it is their primary residence. Many of them have homes all over the world and their SF property may just be an investment to sink their money into.

The way that you are gauging importance and prestige (based on expensive homes or rich people residing there) would have to mean that affluent enclaves like Bal Harbour in Florida or the Hamptons should also be up there in the list with SF and NYC. And obviously, it would be a joke to throw those in the bag with the cities we have in this thread.

Prestige includes more than just the rich people who live there. It includes the importance of the city to the USA and world economy - beyond the homes and watering holes of the jet set crowd.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:29 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,194,833 times
See the problem with this thread is that there's so subjectivity behind the idea of "prestige" that almost everyone is arguing in circles in what they consider prestigious.

The dictionary definition of prestige "widespread respect and admiration felt for someone or something on the basis of a perception of their achievements or quality" is LOADED with subjective terms.

Pretending there's some universal quality behind it, when there clearly isn't, is dumb.

But then again, this is City vs. City, and anyone will argue over anything. I didn't realize, for example, that a big airport was that big of a deal. To me, when I travel, I don't even think about what airport I'm in. I'm just there to get in and get out.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,482,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
But all of this is so spread out. The main point was that a more classic city like SF or NYC offers all of this within a very confined area, which produces an environment that many elites (whether you want to say elite by money, power, education, worldly knowledge, etc) find stimulating. DTLA to Santa Monica is basically a weekend trip away. SGV? You have to dedicate a huge portion of time to driving in a car to get there, just to eat a solid Chinese meal. Pasadena is gorgeous, but I'd have to point out that it has cousins in every major metro and isn't particularly unique for visitors (it's basically just a nice, older, more walkable suburb that hosts an annual football game and has a university campus...). I agree with you that LA is more than how I caricatured it, but people outside of LA are interested more in the celebrity/Beverly Hills culture of LA than LA's creative districts or tech scene. People outside of SF/tech aren't even interested in the Bay Area's tech scene so much (well, enough that HBO produced a show about it but not sure that it was even a hit), even though the Bay Area is it for tech.

It's easier to box LA up because even for people to visit from northern CA on a weekend they can't get to 99% of what LA has to offer because it's so spread out and hard to get around, so people are more keen on spending time doing things in areas that don't have equivalents up north.

One can't do the same for San Francisco (box SF up) because literally within the same area that takes up just Beverly Hills in LA (or actually even less), you have all of the culture you just described for LA. And it's been this way since SF's settlement as a westernized city in 1849.
So it’s your contention “elites”, as only you define them, are drawn almost exclusively to that classic model and generally eschew the other. That requires a couple leaps.

The amount of energy people are dedicating toward justifying their subjective conceptions of something as ambiguous as “prestige” is staggering. Assume you know nothing about a cardiologist other than he/she owns a home in Malibu. Do you have any less regard for that person’s professional expertise than if he/she were to live in any place in the Bay Area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or