U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,327,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, based on the habits of Ivy League Graduates and other top schools, YES actually.

Top 3 City Concentrations of Alumni

As a permanent residence, they clearly prefer fabulous urban environment they can walk around in and ENJOY, over spread out megalopolises that require one to sit in hours of traffic just to go to the beach and back home.

Oh, you dont say?

LOL

Harvard alums tend to live in Boston, whereas Cal Tech's tend to stay around Los Angeles. Now fetch me some graphs showing there's more Longhorn fans in Austin than Philly.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:56 PM

3,506 posts, read 2,771,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Exactly. Someone mentioned Firefighters/Cops as prestigious jobs which stuck out as odd to me.

Well respected/admired in society? Sure, but not "prestigious". Most Cops/Firefighters are very blue collar, and whether good or bad "prestigious" to me connotes exclusivity, which civil service jobs are not.

Some seem to be bending the common definition to make it less superficial than it is. It is what it is. Money helps create exclusivity.
I disagree. To the average American, firefighting and police jobs are fairly exclusive. There are stringent physical and ethical standards one must pass to even make the cut. Yea, these are sometimes ignored (sometimes with tragic results), but by and large, not everyone can be a cop/firefighter. It's not $30 million penthouse exclusive, but it's still relatively exclusive (and $30 million penthouse exclusive isn't as exclusive as civil servant, President of the United States exclusive).

Old 08-27-2015, 02:02 PM

3,506 posts, read 2,771,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
See the problem with this thread is that there's so subjectivity behind the idea of "prestige" that almost everyone is arguing in circles in what they consider prestigious.

The dictionary definition of prestige "widespread respect and admiration felt for someone or something on the basis of a perception of their achievements or quality" is LOADED with subjective terms.

Pretending there's some universal quality behind it, when there clearly isn't, is dumb.

But then again, this is City vs. City, and anyone will argue over anything. I didn't realize, for example, that a big airport was that big of a deal. To me, when I travel, I don't even think about what airport I'm in. I'm just there to get in and get out.

So we're just supposed to throw the baby out with the bath water? There's NO common general consensus for what is prestigious and it's all subjective? I think that that thinking is just as bad as claiming there's a universal, strict definition of prestige. Sure, there's wiggle room and it's always evolving, but prestige isn't THAT subjective of a concept.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,426,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't know where this chart came from, but it's wrong.

I attended one of these universities, and that isn't the order for that university. I think it can be safely discarded as nonsense.

Montclair, did you just fabricate that list? I suspect you did.
Hahaha it's my absolute pleasure to teach you yet again.

This actually it was created scouring the 300 Million users who provide this info to LinkedIn, the largest professional referral network on planet earth.

By an LA-based writer worried about LA being left behind whilst NY and SF pull away as a magnet for the graduates of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning in the United States.
Quote:

The most obvious takeaway is that LA is underrepresented on each of the above tables. As the nation’s second largest city, with more than 5 percent of the nation’s population in its greater metropolitan area (18 million people) and as a highly desirable place to live, one would expect better representation among alumni of these top universities. LA ranks first as the destination for alumni of only one of the 16 “top universities” listed above: CalTech, which is which is located in its backyard.

The city attracts a disproportionate amount of talent, relative to the rest of the nation from Northern California stalwarts Berkeley and Stanford (barely), at 10 percent and 6 percent respectively, and is proportionately represented for Harvard and Yale at 5 percent. But notably, LA doesn’t rank in the Top 3 destination cities for alumni of any non-California school. By contrast, SF and NYC respectively rank in the Top 3 for all but four and three of the 16 universities listed.
This is the question he posed, that ZERO LA FORUMERS EVER WANT TO TALK ABOUT:
As LA looks to establish itself as a destination for top entrepreneurs to build companies, those currently in the community need to take a hard look at this data and address the shortcomings. Why aren’t we more attractive to smart outsiders looking to make a name for themselves?

https://pando.com/2013/07/04/inside-...ent-conundrum/

Old 08-27-2015, 02:07 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,130,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
So we're just supposed to throw the baby out with the bath water? There's NO common general consensus for what is prestigious and it's all subjective? I think that that thinking is just as bad as claiming there's a universal, strict definition of prestige. Sure, there's wiggle room and it's always evolving, but prestige isn't THAT subjective of a concept.
33 pages of this topic would say otherwise, no?

Old 08-27-2015, 02:13 PM

28,028 posts, read 25,156,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
33 pages of this topic would say otherwise, no?
Well, to be fair, a thread with the title "Which is the larger city, NYC or Santa Fe?" could get up to 33 pages on C-D.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:14 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,426,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Harvard alums tend to live in Boston, whereas Cal Tech's tend to stay around Los Angeles. Now fetch me some graphs showing there's more Longhorn fans in Austin than Philly.
This is not a response.

You asked this question:
So it’s your contention “elites”, as only you define them, are drawn almost exclusively to that classic model and generally eschew the other[?]

In fact, San Francisco attracts more Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Cornell & MIT.

It seems that the only Ivy League school that has more alum in LA than SF is Dartmouth.

Now if that doesnt represent an overwhelming preference for the 'classic model', then I dont know what does.

also, this 'classic model' of development you speakwill never go out of style. Genuinely great downtowns and desirable, high density, urban neighborhoods, are always going to be a magnet to a huge segment of upwardly mobile people.

This is why Los Angeles is furiously redeveloping it's downtown, and slapping together highrise housing projects in downtown, etc. They want to recapture the upscale vibrancy that it lost a long time ago.

And I wish them well.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,327,329 times
Quote:
This is not a response.

You asked this question:
So it’s your contention “elites”, as only you define them, are drawn almost exclusively to that classic model and generally eschew the other[?]

In fact, San Francisco attracts more Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Cornell & MIT.

It seems that the only Ivy League school that has more alum in LA than SF is Dartmouth.

Now if that doesnt represent an overwhelming preference for the 'classic model', then I dont know what does.

also, this 'classic model' of development you speakwill never go out of style. Genuinely great downtowns and desirable, high density, urban neighborhoods, are always going to be a magnet to a huge segment of upwardly mobile people.

This is why Los Angeles is furiously redeveloping it's downtown, and slapping together highrise housing projects in downtown, etc. They want to recapture the upscale vibrancy that it lost a long time ago.

And I wish them well.
Google, almost entirely by itself, per you own source. Which was left off your edited chart.

Your well wishes are noted and appreciated.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 PM

553 posts, read 452,535 times
Quote:
Hahaha it's my absolute pleasure to teach you yet again.

This actually it was created scouring the 300 Million users who provide this info to LinkedIn, the largest professional referral network on planet earth.

By an LA-based writer worried about LA being left behind whilst NY and SF pull away as a magnet for the graduates of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning in the United States.
This is the question he posed, that ZERO LA FORUMERS EVER WANT TO TALK ABOUT:
As LA looks to establish itself as a destination for top entrepreneurs to build companies, those currently in the community need to take a hard look at this data and address the shortcomings. Why aren’t we more attractive to smart outsiders looking to make a name for themselves?

https://pando.com/2013/07/04/inside-...ent-conundrum/
The same article alludes to how tech companies, not San Francisco's "prestige", lures those graduates to the area. Its not the allure of San Francisco, it the allure of Silicon Valley's companies and the Tech industry as a whole and not because those people necessarily want to live in San Francisco.

"A couple trends emerge from this admittedly rudimentary analysis. First, let’s just get this out of the way, Google is a force of nature."

"While the data isn’t perfect and it only shows the migration path of a sliver of the world’s tech talent"

Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,519,755 times
Princeton is on both lists and the results are different. Am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or