U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 12:53 PM

31,578 posts, read 53,114,182 times

Advertisements

Two articles on the long list of foreign heads of state that have come to the Bay Area to see the tech capital of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Magazine
The Bay Area has become a United Nations of the West Coast

World leaders are visiting Silicon Valley for another reason, too: To send a message to their own people, to say “I understand technology is important and can lead to a better way of life.” A March report by Accenture, for instance, found that increased use of technology could add $1.36 trillion to the world’s biggest economies by 2020. The study is based on the Accenture Digital Density Index, a tool that helps companies make better strategic investments based on granular measures of digital performance...
Why World Leaders Need Silicon Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
Heads of state from Japan and Brazil visited earlier this year, following earlier trips by the leaders of Ireland, Israel, Russia and Malaysia. The region is so popular that last year the nonprofit Silicon Valley Office of Protocol opened its doors to help with the finer points of international diplomacy, including etiquette and manners...

"Silicon Valley is, in some ways, more important than New York and the financial sector, or D.C. and the political world,” said Venky Ganesan, managing director at Menlo Ventures. World leaders “see clearly that when it comes to just about any sector, Silicon Valley is eating them up.”

It’s not just world leaders who are interested in Silicon Valley. In March, ambassadors from 35 countries — including Kazakhstan, Gabon and Paraguay — toured the region to soak up lessons on how technology might contribute to their home economies...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...aaa_story.html

Old 11-04-2015, 01:01 PM

31,578 posts, read 53,114,182 times
Cool article from Marketwatch about how the Bay Area has reinvented itself and expanded during boom and bust cycles.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how...15-11-03]How a

Old 11-04-2015, 01:10 PM

20,122 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Looking at the options, I'm surprised that Boston wasn't listed as an option for the eds and meds aspect as well as for the old association with wasps/brahmin/blue-bloods.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:28 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,136,312 times
Yea, I would say for "prestige" that the smaller more boutiquey/wealthy/economically powerful cities like SF, Boston, and DC follow NYC on prestige. People in these cities tend to be the most educated/traveled and generally have jobs or work in industries many if not most would consider "prestigious". These 3 cities tend to be the most "progressive", as well, which could lend itself to aspects of being prestigious. Boston and SF in particular have rather large "old money" sects, and all 3 are bastions of new economies and new money.

I don't think of Chicago, and certainly not LA, when I think of "prestige", though for one reason or another, Beverly Hills by itself could conjure up notions of prestige. Realizing that Chicago has 2 extremely prestigious universities, an educated population, a huge economy, and oodles of wealth (both old and new), it still ushers in notions of being a "blue collar" or "all american" city, whether warranted or not. LA is a huge huge city with pockets of extreme wealth and a massive economy with plenty of educated professionals and well-traveled people, but I don't think Americans associate the city with "prestige" like they associate it with SoCal culture/life, Hollywood, etc. Overall, it's arguably more blue collar on the average than any of the other options, including Chicago.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:01 PM

366 posts, read 274,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
90s through to mid to late 2000s was what I wrote. Though yea, it gets progressively better the further out from the 90s you go.

That survey (reddit thread) being conducted last year doesn't mean the impressions were made that year.

Hollywood would be disappointing for most, but Los Angeles does have more of a center these days and there are a lot more ways to get around and easy access to guides and apps that let you know where to go to. Before, it was more common to just wander in pretty blind except for an idea of a few general locations/sights and not realize what their distance was and taking forever to get there.
I don't think all the impressions were made that year, but 90's is definitely stretching it way too much imo, given what I believe is the age range for most people who use reddit. Plus, it's not giving people enough credit in common sense to expect them to think a city is the same now as it was in the 90's.

Realistically speaking, I would put most most of those views at about a 10 year range from say 2005 or so.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 1,940,197 times
i think of la thru a 90's filter sometimes (straight outta' comptom, san andreas, ...)... the same way i look at miami thru an 80's lens (scarface, vice city, ...).

Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 3,000,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Yea, I would say for "prestige" that the smaller more boutiquey/wealthy/economically powerful cities like SF, Boston, and DC follow NYC on prestige. People in these cities tend to be the most educated/traveled and generally have jobs or work in industries many if not most would consider "prestigious". These 3 cities tend to be the most "progressive", as well, which could lend itself to aspects of being prestigious. Boston and SF in particular have rather large "old money" sects, and all 3 are bastions of new economies and new money.

I don't think of Chicago, and certainly not LA, when I think of "prestige", though for one reason or another, Beverly Hills by itself could conjure up notions of prestige. Realizing that Chicago has 2 extremely prestigious universities, an educated population, a huge economy, and oodles of wealth (both old and new), it still ushers in notions of being a "blue collar" or "all american" city, whether warranted or not. LA is a huge huge city with pockets of extreme wealth and a massive economy with plenty of educated professionals and well-traveled people, but I don't think Americans associate the city with "prestige" like they associate it with SoCal culture/life, Hollywood, etc. Overall, it's arguably more blue collar on the average than any of the other options, including Chicago.
This is one of the most accurate posts I've ever seen on this forum.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:11 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,296,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is one of the most accurate posts I've ever seen on this forum.
Confirmed by your real life experiences?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:16 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Confirmed by your real life experiences?
you know perception is reality....until you become the brunt of perception.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:08 PM

641 posts, read 493,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Which city has more prestige, presence, desirability & respect?

wow, I can't believe this poll is going the way it's going...

Prestige?? Meaning respect and admiration....

DC hands down! DC and NYC are the most admired and prestigious cities in the USA

Now as far as desirability, I can easily see why it trails LA and SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or