U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2015, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,504 posts, read 2,732,635 times
Reputation: 2688

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I just said DC doesn't have much of a brand.
True, but in a thread about prestige, it looked as if that was an argument you were trying to make. My bad if I misinterpreted you.

What do you mean by brand, though? I'd argue that D.C. does have a brand, at least in how I interpret it--it's the capital. That's all it's really known for, and that seems to work well for it. It isn't on the level of Los Angeles or San Francisco, sure, but it's up there. But how are you defining brand?

 
Old 08-25-2015, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,580 posts, read 53,131,516 times
Reputation: 14502
These questions are very 1980s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
What happened to the Pacific Stock Exchange?
The advent of technology has rendered traditional trading floors rather obsolete, no?

Speaking of stocks, the Bay Area is home to more equity capital(investment dollars) than the rest of California and all surrounding 13 western states COMBINED.

That's incredible, actually.

Quote:
Bank of America moved to Charlotte!?!
Bank of America was bought out by NationsBank based in Charlotte. Remember?

Wells Fargo is headquartered in SF and is the most valuable bank in the world, and holds more home mortgages than any other bank.

ijs

LA totally lost First Interstate and Security Pacific, it's two big banks.

Quote:
Why didn't S.F. adapt to container shipping instead of moving the port to Oakland?
Adapting is exactly what SF did. Unlike Downtown LA, which fell into serious decline and disarray, after port and industrial activity left the waterfront, downtown SF's waterfront boomed and successfully rebranded itself into the hottest business and entertainment destination in California.

Also, why didnt LA adapt to changing times instead of losing all of it's defense and aerospace companies to Washington DC and Texas?

Quote:
Why is there a Silicon Valley in the first place instead of Downtown San Francisco?
Because it began on the Peninsula due to Stanford University. You can find out by accessing a well known SF based website:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Speaking of downtowns, why do you think downtown LA is so subpar vs. downtown SF?

Quote:
That's what I meant by decline.
Well, what you call 'decline' is really adapting and improving. San Francisco has consistently been the best and strongest performer on the world stage among California's 2 world class cities over the past 3-4 decades.

Los Angeles has seriously declined in ways that really hindered it's ability to compete for talent and really grow. I find it almost hopeless at this point, even with all the supposed improvements, which I applaud by the way, at this point, I dont see how LA can stop the ongoing erosion of it's reputation and status, along with SF's rise in stature and reputation.

It doesnt look too great for LA in this regard. I think that ship has sailed. The Bay Area is too much.

Quote:
Hopefully tech companies are starting to move out of suburban Silicon Valley and populating Downtown San Francisco skyscrapers instead.
Well, Downtown SF is one of the most expensive downtowns to lease office space and has one of the lowest vacancy rates too. That's because downtown is the most prestigious business address in the entire state. Downtown LA

[QUOTE[Most of the workers live in S.F. but have to commute to the suburban peninsula for work. [/quote]
No one is hurt by this are they? hahaha

Quote:
Apple's new campus looks like that S.F. won't be patronized by the major tech companies in the near future.
haha San Francisco is the number 1 destination of venture capital in the US.
The 100 U.S. Cities Where Businesses Received the Most VC Funding

Oh, and off the top of my head, SF is where Craigslist, Disqus, Fitbit, imgur, Instagram, Lyft, Pinterest, Reddit, Salesforce, Twitter, Uber and Zygna are all headquartered.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 02:42 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,667 posts, read 18,227,608 times
Reputation: 11177
I'd say that Los Angeles has the most prestige because it has the 2nd highest global cities rank in America.

However, Los Angeles punches below its weight. Its economic health is not at the superstar levels of Washington DC, Boston, San Francisco and Seattle.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,504 posts, read 2,732,635 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Obviously Ottawa will have some sort of prestige about it as the capital of Canada, but not nearly as much as Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and maybe even QC--at least from an American perspective. I don't know anyone who's visited Canada or who wants to visit Canada who's been to or wants to go to Ottawa. In the same way, Canberra doesn't appear to have nearly the same amount of prestige as Sydney, Melbourne, etc.

But "prestige" is a pretty subjective thing as has been demonstrated in this thread. I think most of it comes in the form of a city's built environment and personality, as well as the amenities and attractions they offer. So DC is not without competition here, especially since most visitors don't visit DC to actually see DC, but just the National Mall and museums and such.
You're arguing popularity, not prestige. The two are often closely related, but often not. Prestigious things/places/people are often not popular, and vice versa. Las Vegas is one of our country's most popular cities, for example, but you'd have to frame a pretty extreme argument to classify it as a prestigious city.

Prestige is subjective, obviously, but it's not as murky as you make it seem. There's tiers to prestige. For example, I went to a great school in the University of Delaware, which has produced Vice President Joe Biden and Republican Presidential contender Chris Christie, for starters. UD has prestigious alumni, and has some schools/programs you could argue as prestigious (ice skating, engineering, physical therapy) but overall, the school isn't viewed as prestigious in the same manner as Harvard. It's a solid state school but it doesn't come close to hanging with the big boys. I'd say it's the same with cities.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 PM
 
387 posts, read 253,403 times
Reputation: 841
LA for sure because of Hollywood

I personally dislike the actual city of LA (coming from the East Coast I just find it weird and annoying)...Dat Weather Doe!!!
 
Old 08-25-2015, 03:23 PM
 
922 posts, read 835,313 times
Reputation: 1078
Of the 4, I would say:
1) SF
2) DC
3) LA
4) CHI


LA is more glamorous (fascinating, exciting), but SF is more prestigious (high status, wealth, importance).

IMO, SF is the most all around "prestigious" city in the US after New York. Although SF might not command the "serious news" attention of DC, it generally held in higher regard as an "world class urban city." Better shopping/dinning, more interesting street life, more desirable place to live and visit. It's frequently featured with NYC as the most expensive/desirable place to live in the US among the yuppie elite. Lots of stories about how the city is being over-run by highly educated and compensated yuppies with lots of money to blow on $3,000 studios, $20 cocktails and artisanal toast. It can seem very intimidating for your average joe.

DC is a bit of a mixed bag. It is prestigious, as it is an important world center for politics and diplomacy. Flip through Le Monde or watch the BBC you will see they spend more time discussing what's going in DC than any US city outside NYC. But, as a "urban city" DC still has a reputation for being somewhat of a stodgy government town.

LA is glamorous, but not really prestigious. Similar to Miami in that regard. For better or worse, LA is so synonymous with beaches and celebrity culture that it isn't really scene as a "high status" city. Despite world class universities and cultural institutions, it has a general reputation for being superficial compared to the Bay Area or the East Coast.

Chicago isn't particularly prestigious despite world class universities and all of the high end urban amenities of SF. It's known as a big mid-American city, that is a little more blue collar and less expensive than the coastal cities. While lots of people like it, it's big attraction is that you don't need to be making six-figures to just get buy. You typical college educated professional can afford to actually buy a place there.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 03:35 PM
 
27,758 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
You're arguing popularity, not prestige. The two are often closely related, but often not. Prestigious things/places/people are often not popular, and vice versa. Las Vegas is one of our country's most popular cities, for example, but you'd have to frame a pretty extreme argument to classify it as a prestigious city.

Prestige is subjective, obviously, but it's not as murky as you make it seem. There's tiers to prestige. For example, I went to a great school in the University of Delaware, which has produced Vice President Joe Biden and Republican Presidential contender Chris Christie, for starters. UD has prestigious alumni, and has some schools/programs you could argue as prestigious (ice skating, engineering, physical therapy) but overall, the school isn't viewed as prestigious in the same manner as Harvard. It's a solid state school but it doesn't come close to hanging with the big boys. I'd say it's the same with cities.
That's fair.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 04:20 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,464 posts, read 3,003,850 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I just said DC doesn't have much of a brand.
LA is not more prestigious than DC on any level other than maybe fashion. There is nothing in that city that I deem "prestigious." Boston is more prestigious than LA.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,504 posts, read 2,732,635 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Of the 4, I would say:
1) SF
2) DC
3) LA
4) CHI


LA is more glamorous (fascinating, exciting), but SF is more prestigious (high status, wealth, importance).

IMO, SF is the most all around "prestigious" city in the US after New York. Although SF might not command the "serious news" attention of DC, it generally held in higher regard as an "world class urban city." Better shopping/dinning, more interesting street life, more desirable place to live and visit. It's frequently featured with NYC as the most expensive/desirable place to live in the US among the yuppie elite. Lots of stories about how the city is being over-run by highly educated and compensated yuppies with lots of money to blow on $3,000 studios, $20 cocktails and artisanal toast. It can seem very intimidating for your average joe.

DC is a bit of a mixed bag. It is prestigious, as it is an important world center for politics and diplomacy. Flip through Le Monde or watch the BBC you will see they spend more time discussing what's going in DC than any US city outside NYC. But, as a "urban city" DC still has a reputation for being somewhat of a stodgy government town.

LA is glamorous, but not really prestigious. Similar to Miami in that regard. For better or worse, LA is so synonymous with beaches and celebrity culture that it isn't really scene as a "high status" city. Despite world class universities and cultural institutions, it has a general reputation for being superficial compared to the Bay Area or the East Coast.

Chicago isn't particularly prestigious despite world class universities and all of the high end urban amenities of SF. It's known as a big mid-American city, that is a little more blue collar and less expensive than the coastal cities. While lots of people like it, it's big attraction is that you don't need to be making six-figures to just get buy. You typical college educated professional can afford to actually buy a place there.
I can respect this as a solid, well argued opinion. I'm going to disagree with you, but it isn't like you're far off base or something. Lol, apparently I'm in the minority here.

To me, San Francisco has the exclusivity and money thing down pat (as Montclair loves to remind us). It has the cultural institutions, the universities and the better urban fabric stuff, as well. Maybe it's just me though, but I don't feel it does those things SUBSTANTIALLY better than D.C. does. Not enough to overcome the 800 pound gorilla in DCs favor that is the federal government. D.C. isn't exactly a laggard in any of those departments.

Yea, SF has the 9th Circuit thing going on, but that's pretty much it, government wise (edit: add the Mint and Federal Reserve too). To me, and maybe I'm a starry eyed optimist, government isn't sexy in the slightest, but it IS very prestigious. Prestige isn't necessarily glamorous (or I'd agree with the L.A. folks), at least in my interpretation of the concept. And prestige doesn't necessarily equate to wealth, either (snobbery/extreme wealth may be a stereotype of prestige, but it isn't tied to it). People love to "support the troops". No one has bumper stickers supporting corporate fat cats. That, to me, is the true definiton of prestige.

And to that end, as big of a NYC booster as I am, I don't think this is one of those areas where NYC steamrolls the competition. The OPs assertion that it's the default prestigious city seems premature. It may have the MOST prestigious institutions, but on the whole, when viewed as a "character" of that city? Certainly up for debate.

Last edited by qworldorder; 08-25-2015 at 05:17 PM..
 
Old 08-25-2015, 05:24 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,298,708 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
LA is not more prestigious than DC on any level other than maybe fashion. There is nothing in that city that I deem "prestigious." Boston is more prestigious than LA.
Well, if you deem so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top