U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,235,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
hahaha at some point, one cant help but feel sorry for this kind of cringeworthy ignorance and refusal to read the writing on the wall.
What? I mean, you have an argument if we're talking regions or MSA's, but strictly using arbitrary city limits LA completely destroys the city of SF on so many levels. Just the fact that it's several times larger in land area and population gives a tiny city like SF no chance.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:48 AM

32,260 posts, read 54,982,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
What? I mean, you have an argument if we're talking regions or MSA's, but strictly using arbitrary city limits LA completely destroys the city of SF on so many levels. Just the fact that it's several times larger in land area and population gives a tiny city like SF no chance.
You are sadly mistaken. At city level, SF makes LA look thirdworldish.

Quit while your ahead because I havent begun to read LA.
Urban Dictionary: Read that *****

Old 11-11-2015, 11:57 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,030,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Which city has more prestige, presence, desirability & respect?
There have been a lot of replies to this, and I've skimmed only a couple of pages' worth. So sorry if my reply duplicates what's already been said.

I think I have "New York Superiority" fatigue. That, coupled with "Philadelphia Noisy Inferiority Complex Fatigue" makes me wish the poll simply said "Which city has the most prestige [whatever that means]?" and include New York in the list. I grew up in NY and thought it was the hub of the universe, and I think for a lot of things (theatre, finance, rat population among others) it can't be topped. But the assumption that it's #1 in All Things is a bit wearying. I'm just saying ...

Old 11-11-2015, 12:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,287,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The entirety of Northern California and much of the Northern Nevada desert and even areas of Southern Oregon refer to San Francisco as 'The City', in fact, no city in the US, EXCEPT NEW YORK ITSELF, is referred to as 'The City' so prevalently across such a large geographical area and by so many people as San Francisco.

USAGE OF THE TERM "THE CITY"

Talk about PRESTIGE^ Look at NorCal all lit up. LA for SoCal not nearly as much.
And I love Eddie Izzard's bit where he makes fun of San Francisco for that weird tick of theirs. "The City" lol

Old 11-11-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
And I love Eddie Izzard's bit where he makes fun of San Francisco for this weird tick of theirs. "The City" lol

Yawns...didnt even open it. This transvestite looking person is not more knowlegable than what has been the case since the Gold Rush. San Francisco was already known as 'The City' when LA was a ranch.

Ironically, even after LA now is several times larger, San Francisco still embodies more of what most people perceive to be "The City" while LA continues it's quest to find it's urban core.

We are comparing a city that has arrived versus a city that is trying to woo first world elements to it's Downtown.

Next.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:09 PM

4,476 posts, read 2,287,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nah, people usually just say they're from the Bay Area. It generally travels pretty well on its own. I think this identifying thing and getting the correct demonym doesn't really have much to do with being multinodal or not--at least not to me. Again, I always thought of these nodes and read about nodes in regards to urban development/planning.

And I don't really give people much credit for understanding Los Angeles very well either. It's a jumble of Hollywood, Malibu, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, the Valley, Los Angeles, Venice, Orange County (or the OC which no one calls that) etc. without people necessarily knowing what is an actual distinct legal physical entity or what is a neighborhood or what is a general region.
this one actually confuses me. when i was little i always thought that silicon valley was in la. but now i know its in san fran. so this valley must refer to something different since the 2 cities are 8 hours apart ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
now its an la pissing match.
i was right.

you guys are too into yourself. california is very popular but not everyone is an expert of every intricate geographic detail of the state.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:31 PM

1,687 posts, read 982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estudiamos View Post
SF is always ranked beneath LA. cd is the only place in the universe that SF > LA.
Haha. This is very true. Montclair lives in his fantasy land where per capita income and companies are headquartered are the most amazing thing

What a tool.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:36 PM

4,476 posts, read 2,287,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
There have been a lot of replies to this, and I've skimmed only a couple of pages' worth. So sorry if my reply duplicates what's already been said.

I think I have "New York Superiority" fatigue. That, coupled with "Philadelphia Noisy Inferiority Complex Fatigue" makes me wish the poll simply said "Which city has the most prestige [whatever that means]?" and include New York in the list. I grew up in NY and thought it was the hub of the universe, and I think for a lot of things (theatre, finance, rat population among others) it can't be topped. But the assumption that it's #1 in All Things is a bit wearying. I'm just saying ...
nyc is #1 in most things (so its average placement woud still be #1).
the exceptions would be:
Quote:
education: boston
technology: san fran
sports: chicago (boston ?)
hospitals: philadelphia (boston ?)
entertainment: la
news: atlanta
hospitality: miami
genetics research: boston (philadelphia ?)

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 11-11-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Haha. This is very true. Montclair lives in his fantasy land where per capita income and companies are headquartered are the most amazing thing

What a tool.
Haha you mean a massive city dominated by lower middle class people, a stagnant economy, with a ghetto, low class downtown with tiny slivers of extreme wealth and celebrities is more prestigious than a drop dead gorgeous, boutique city with THE PREMIERE DOWNTOWN for a thousand miles in every direction, packed with old money, socialites, yuppies, techies, millenials and the most dynamic economy, the most coveted business addresses, the most respected universities, the most billionaires and high net worth individuals etc...

Tool indeed.

There is no contest. Los Angeles is only prestigious to people who dont know any better. San Francisco is more prestigious to those who do know.

Lmao.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:42 PM

1,687 posts, read 982,629 times
It's funny Montclair doesn't realize what he says makes no difference. He hasn't swayed anyone.

You're like the city data jeb bush.
You try.....but nobody cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or