Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:17 PM

574 posts, read 683,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes dear I know that was for fun.

Just wanted to make your eyes pop out which clearly they did.

Oh, and I didnt read past the first few lines. I dont devote too much effort to "new"( giggles) forumers.

What is apparent is that in the grand scheme of the debate thusfar, San Francisco pretty much owns Los Angeles.

Celebrities and their homes is the only thing you or any other 8th grader from stupidlandia has brought up as a point.

Dear Lord, send me a worthy opponent.
So, what is prestigious to you? What qualities does a city need to possess to make it prestigious?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,237,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
So, what is prestigious to you? What qualities does a city need to possess to make it prestigious?
Apparently a requirement for prestige is no wealthy people living there by choice.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:33 PM

And re. Newark, it's absolutely true. In fact it isn't even close. Newark is at the core of the wealthiest part of the wealthiest or second wealthiest state. The city itself is poor but the surroundings are almost unmatched.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, Silicon Valley which was and is financed by SF investors was created by students and faculty at Stanford University, a school that was built on the country estate of San Francisco railroad baron, Leland Stanford.
Silicon Valley, and Stanford, aren't in the SF metro. The fact that you have to sponge off another metro area 50 miles away to make an argument for SF, is kind of hilarious.

Imagine someone trying to argue for the glories of NYC or Paris or London by citing unrelated places and institutions 50 miles away. Absurd. Maybe NYC is great because of Yale or London is great because of Oxford...

Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,491,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And re. Newark, it's absolutely true. In fact it isn't even close. Newark is at the core of the wealthiest part of the wealthiest or second wealthiest state. The city itself is poor but the surroundings are almost unmatched.
Haha, literally no one else buys this. You are quite amusing with your Midwestern hate and the extent you'll go to turn the screw, though. Must have been a particularly awful Michigan childhood....time to move on.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:39 PM

41 posts, read 42,018 times
Does it make anyone wonder why there is little demand for luxury homes in "prestigious" San Francisco?

Why don't the ultra-wealthy globe-trotters think anything of the place? It is given the cold shoulder.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Haha, literally no one else buys this.
Given that you are the only one who has disagreed with my comment, you are "literally" full of crapola. Not even the Chicago homers on this thread are agreeing with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You are quite amusing with your Midwestern hate and the extent you'll go to turn the screw, though. Must have been a particularly awful Michigan childhood....time to move on.
Never have a "Michigan childhood", awful or otherwise.

In your trolling huff you must have me confused, which makes sense as you are confused about basically everything else.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:08 PM

31,882 posts, read 34,374,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
The bolded is one of the points I was making. They don't seem to get it. San Francisco millionaires are ric off of tech while LA's millionaires are more than likely there by choice. NYC, LA, and even small parts of Miami are a rich person's paradise. If you ask the general public where they would buy a home if they had a million bucks, San Francisco probably won't crack the top 5.
And you know this how exactly?

Too bad we don't have revealed preference data for cities. We have it, to some extent, for college admissions.

Compare Colleges: Side-by-side college comparisons | Parchment - College admissions predictions.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,254,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Given that you are the only one who has disagreed with my comment, you are "literally" full of crapola. Not even the Chicago homers on this thread are agreeing with you.

Never have a "Michigan childhood", awful or otherwise.

In your trolling huff you must have me confused, which makes sense as you are confused about basically everything else.
Quit accusing ALL who disagree with you. It happens in most threads. You should accept it with NO INSULT or labeling them trolls.... you are doing it more and more it seems. Why call someone a troll with a good rating level and on C-D for years? For the record.... I agree with them you are ALWAYS negative to the Midwest and 95% of the time where Chicago is concerned.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:10 PM

31,882 posts, read 34,374,925 times
What makes NYC the most prestigious city in the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City