Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:23 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Anything can be prestigious, given the right context. Nathan's hot dog eating contest is the most prestigious competitive eating contest in the world. But "prestige" itself connotates government/religion/education above all else, to me. Anybody else inclined to agree?
Education and cultural institutions, sure. But government and religion? Definitely not. I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to a government entity, religion, or religion-related building as prestigious.

If DC's prestigious for anything its going to be for things like the Smithsonian, Georgetown, GW, American, etc.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:23 PM

41 posts, read 42,314 times
pres·tige (prĕ-stēzh′, -stēj′)
n.
1. The level of respect at which a person or thing is regarded by others; standing: an act that boosted his prestige; a job with low prestige.
2. Good reputation; honor: Her accomplishments lent a lot of prestige to the college.
3. Great respect or importance: Doctors are usually treated with prestige.

I don't think most Americans think highly of Washington, DC... In fact, most think the complete opposite. This isn't the 1940s in which Americans admired and looked up to politicians. Americans strongly dislike "Washington" and politicians have no more prestige than investment bankers or Hollywood these days.

That explains Donald Trump...

Old 08-26-2015, 03:25 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Finance, in my opinion, isn't a prestigious profession. Powerful, yes, professional, yes, and important, yes, but prestigious? No. I think people are conflating wealth/power with prestige, and they're not the same. Prestige, as I view the term, is much more tied to the public/diplomatic sector and the ideals of selflessness that they hold/represent.
When are power and prestige not the same? I mean, we live in a world where the strong are admired and respected, and not necessarily the righteous.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSAMG View Post
n.
1. The level of respect at which a person or thing is regarded by others; standing: an act that boosted his prestige; a job with low prestige.
2. Good reputation; honor: Her accomplishments lent a lot of prestige to the college.

I don't think most Americans think highly of Washington, DC... In fact, most think the complete opposite. This isn't the 1940s in which Americans admired and looked up to politicians. Americans strongly dislike "Washington" and politicians have no more prestige than investment bankers or Hollywood these days.

I don't know if Americans "look up" to politicians but they certainly think there's a lot of prestige in being a member of Congress. To say otherwise is ridiculous imo.

It's also silly to say that "finance isn't prestigious" considering the role it plays in the modern global economy. That sounds like a way to cherrypick certain criteria to favor DC.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:32 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
n.

This is a very valid point, and is really the core issue of this debate: what professions/attributes do we define as prestigious? You're right that "traditionally" prestigious occupations like politicians and police men are no longer held as such unanimously.

Is prestige than really dependent on one's view? Is George Clooney more prestigious than Nancy Pelosi? Rahm Emanuel more prestigious than Taylor Swift? Tim Cook more prestigious than Bill de Blasio?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't know if Americans "look up" to politicians but they certainly think there's a lot of prestige in being a member of Congress. To say otherwise is ridiculous imo.

It's also silly to say that "finance isn't prestigious" considering the role it plays in the modern global economy. That sounds like a way to cherrypick certain criteria to favor DC.
I don't think so. An idiot like Donald Trump would get more respect and would be treated better at a restaurant than a congressman, who would probably be ignored.

America is a very different place these days.

Rightfully so. Being self-made is more prestigious and admirable than being a politician. And that's a fact.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Is prestige than really dependent on one's view?
Why do you think England is regarded as being more prestigious than Nigeria?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:38 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,603 times
Quote:
I would have agreed with you back before money corrupted both houses so completely that they stopped getting things done.

With only 22% of the American public holding a favorable view of Congress, just how prestigious do you think the average person thinks being a member of Congress is these days?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. An idiot like Donald Trump would get more respect and would be treated better at a restaurant than a congressman, who would probably be ignored.

America is a very different place these days.
There is a lot of prestige in being a member of Congress. What world are you living in? How many professions get the title of "Honorable"?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
There is a lot of prestige in being a member of Congress. What world are you living in? How many professions get the title of "Honorable"?
It's prestigious to academics. To the rest of the world? No, not really.

Unless your name is Obama or something, people don't think too highly of you. Or even know who you are.

A self-made person is more "prestigious" in the eyes of the typical person. Prestige is also about image. Leave your Washington bubble..most people hate them and liken them to used car salesmen.

Bill Gates & Warren Buffett are more prestigious than John Boehner and Mitch McConnell, or any of the supreme justices. And every single person in Washington, besides the President. They command more respect, more admiration. You're delusional if you're disputing this.

Last edited by GTSAMG; 08-26-2015 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City