Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:03 PM

574 posts, read 683,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think you get my point. Los Angeles covers a much larger physical area--the city of Los Angeles itself is multi-nodal and those nodes are often shared along with other municipalities though it really all just runs and blends into each other. Like, Culver City is central to a node, so is downtown Los Angeles, so is Burbank, so is Santa Monica, so is the port area of Los Angeles/Long Beach, so is El Segundo, so is Pasadena, and then you got nodes further out like Thousand Oaks, Anaheim, Irvine, etc. Both areas as a whole are multi-nodal and it doesn't make much sense to cut things off at just the legal borders.
Still, LA is less multi-nodal than the Bay. NYC metro is multi-nodal, though less so than either LA or SF. LA is huge its nodes don't hold a candle to it. Compare that to the bat and you have SJ and Oakland. SJ can go pound for pound with much larger metros in its own. No other city in LAs metro can do that.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 PM

Let's just say California is the most prestigious after LA, followed by DC/Chicago/Boston

Old 11-10-2015, 07:14 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Still, LA is less multi-nodal than the Bay. NYC metro is multi-nodal, though less so than either LA or SF. LA is huge its nodes don't hold a candle to it. Compare that to the bat and you have SJ and Oakland. SJ can go pound for pound with much larger metros in its own. No other city in LAs metro can do that.
So you're saying there's a spectrum? Yea, sure, of course.

Though I don't think LA is any less multinodal, I'm just uncertain if you understand what I'm saying or I'm not saying it right. Multinodal, from when I see it mentioned, is often talked about more as how an urban area is laid out rather than some arbitrary legal boundary so I'm not sure why you're using it within that context.

Los Angeles is highly multinodal--even within the city itself. Some nodes are wholly in Los Angeles city proper (such as downtown or Century City), while some of the other nodes are either outside (Thousand Oaks, Pasadena) or are shared with a portion of another municipality (Culver City, Santa Monica/Venice, Port/Long Beach, airport/El Segundo). The argument that Los Angeles is actually more multinodal comes from the largest single node, downtown, actually being quite small when it comes to percentage of jobs and corporations within the greater region.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:25 PM

I agree that LA is multi-nodal and DTLA is small relative to its size(although this is changing). However, LA is more similar to Atlanta and Houston, where there are a few nodes in the city and a few in the suburbs. The Bay is more similar to DC/Bmore and Dallas-Fort Worth, where there are multiple large cities anchoring the metro. LA is more centralized than the Bay. Aren't most of LA's nodes concentrated in Central and Western LA any way?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I agree that LA is multi-nodal and DTLA is small relative to its size(although this is changing). However, LA is more similar to Atlanta and Houston, where there are a few nodes in the city and a few in the suburbs. The Bay is more similar to DC/Bmore and Dallas-Fort Worth, where there are multiple large cities anchoring the metro. LA is more centralized than the Bay. Aren't most of LA's nodes concentrated in Central and Western LA any way?
Dallas-Forth Worth comparison makes sense for Los Angeles as there are also many nodes. Actually, Atlanta and Houston are also pretty good analogies for both LA and the Bay Area as well. The only one that's odd in there is DC/Baltimore which does have very large central node and the Baltimore major node is really kind of a separate thing altogether and isn't nearly as intermeshed with DC.

Central and Western LA covers quite a bit of territory and does have a lot of its nodes (and is also a significantly larger of an area than SF city proper covers), but there are a lot of other major nodes, corporate headquarters, and employment centers outside of both Central and Western and I've pointed out a few of them.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 PM

The bay is one big economic engine and while San Francisco does deserve its fair share, it seems to get all the credit(at least on here it does).

Old 11-11-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
The bay is one big economic engine and while San Francisco does deserve its fair share, it seems to get all the credit(at least on here it does).
Well, it's called the San Francisco Bay, so I feel that's appropriate.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Well, it's called the San Francisco Bay, so I feel that's appropriate.
But its called the San Jose - San Francisco - Oakland CSA.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
But its called the San Jose - San Francisco - Oakland CSA.
That is not what it's generally called. I believe what you have there is a designation from the US census bureau, but not what people generally use to refer to the area. Have you been there before?

And it's really not as if Silicon Valley is lacking in name recognition by itself. However, the general area when you're talking about the Bay Area as a whole is the Bay Area which refers to the San Francisco Bay Area because that's what the geographic feature all these places line is called.

Though, really, I think the point that was trying to be made was that the Greater Los Angeles area and the Bay Area are very multinodal. Not sure if that hampers the prestige bit though.

Regardless, answer's DC.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-11-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
That is not what it's generally called. I believe what you have there is a designation from the US census bureau, but not what people generally use to refer to the area. Have you been there before?
Its called that because of the bay itself, not the city of San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City