U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:51 PM

905 posts, read 769,107 times

Advertisements

Seattle is definitely a top 5 city for me. I can't think of anything negative to say about it. Honestly I have nothing bad to say about Sacramento either. It looks really nice and until a few days ago I've never really given it much thought.

There is beauty in accessibly. The West is magestic, the East gracious. Sure CA produces a bunch of food, but only through extreme engineering is that possible. Before there was even a country the East was much more populated because food and water is abundant. With the exception of the North West forests, the countryside out West feels dead, well lifeless.
In eastern forests and marshes there is a caucofany of incect noise, birdsong and scurrying critters. The air is fragrant with either blooming flowers or rotting vegetation. There is some of that out west ( the bogs at high elevations are exquisite) but the low humidity ensures that it cannot fully permeate the air. From Appalachian folklore to the Hudson River school to bluegrass...I'd say the East is more evocative. There is no equivalent out west (Sasquatch sightings aside).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 04:21 PM

1,078 posts, read 963,792 times
^^^Swamps/mosquitos/humidity>Mediterranean climate

Old 09-01-2015, 04:27 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,127,349 times
Some people actually enjoy humidity.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:44 PM

1,078 posts, read 963,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Some people actually enjoy humidity.
True but I would say they're the exception not the rule.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:06 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,398,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What is with the whole "Eye" thing?
Eye of Horus.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Folks from the east coast or anywhere where the waters are warmer in the summer or all year round don't get California. Californians don't need 75F+ waters to enjoy them.

We deep sea DIVE, fish off-shore, deep sea fishing off a boat, SURF (a lot), big waves, most California beaches have heavy surf, hard to find on the east coast unless you go far north (Nova Scotia). Hiking along coast that offers huge cliffs, mountains, Redwood forests as well as broad wide open sandy beaches, secluded coves hidden by mountains.

This last month, and I live in Sacramento, 80miles inland, have Surfed up and down the California coast, deep sea fished, hiked, and Sailed SF Bay, and the LA coast. All in either a DAY trip or extended weekend. And within a few weeks. I will be camping in the Sierra Nevada mountains, at 9,000 feet, 1hour, 45 mins away by Car-SUV.
LOL You act like we don't do this on the East Coast either

Old 09-01-2015, 05:16 PM

655 posts, read 472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Seattle is definitely a top 5 city for me. I can't think of anything negative to say about it. Honestly I have nothing bad to say about Sacramento either. It looks really nice and until a few days ago I've never really given it much thought.

There is beauty in accessibly. The West is magestic, the East gracious. Sure CA produces a bunch of food, but only through extreme engineering is that possible. Before there was even a country the East was much more populated because food and water is abundant. With the exception of the North West forests, the countryside out West feels dead, well lifeless.
In eastern forests and marshes there is a caucofany of incect noise, birdsong and scurrying critters. The air is fragrant with either blooming flowers or rotting vegetation. There is some of that out west ( the bogs at high elevations are exquisite) but the low humidity ensures that it cannot fully permeate the air. From Appalachian folklore to the Hudson River school to bluegrass...I'd say the East is more evocative. There is no equivalent out west (Sasquatch sightings aside).
Our country is a beautiful one, and it's only tongue in cheek that I claim the West has a monopoly or an edge when it comes to natural splendor. I feel more at peace and in awe when I am in nature out West, but that likely comes from being born and raised here. I will probably never know another place as well as the West, and that lends a certain bias.

That said, this is pretty evocative:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8134...!7i8000!8i4000

Edit: Those were some gorgeous pictures you posted earlier. I like the first one looking downtown from the Fan District and the second with the river.

Last edited by TheFlats; 09-01-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Speaking of all this diversity Sacramento boasts about, I lived there for 11 years until this past February, in different neighborhoods among a variety of ethnicities and yes, witnessed interracial mingling in the lower tier areas. But I don't define diversity along those lines if I don't see much social interaction beyond the workplace between the suburbians and the inner-city common folk. And in that regard, I don't consider the city any more diverse than L.A, S.F, or Oakland.
I'd always thought social interaction among different ethnicities was common in Oakland?

Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Classic Rep points!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post

Can't wait for Autumn to get here!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City