U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:14 AM

4,813 posts, read 5,011,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Richmond's home to the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, a Federal Reserve Bank (3rd largest by assets after SF and NY) and home to several of the country's largest international law firms. It's also a logistics center because of its location. It's a goldilocks city and it is certainly more than just a college town. How many Fortune 500 companies are located in Sac? Oh, that's right, none. I might add, that's odd, if not suspicious for a first post.
Big deal, richmond has a fed reserve bank, likely because it's one of the oldest cities in the nation.

That Sacramento has the attributes, income levels, educational attainment as high as it does without having a single fortune 500 just shows how great Sacramento's people are. We have done fine for long time without a fortune 500 company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 01:53 AM

998 posts, read 885,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The fact of the matter is richmond is barely comparable.

Interesting that Richmond is 112 years older than Sacramento, yet Sacramento is twice the size, employs more people, graduates more residents doctors, has twice the jobs, more transportation infrastructure, and so on, and so on.

Name one grand thing about Richmond, nothing! and its 278 years old!
Ridiculous....

Old 09-05-2015, 03:41 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,306,043 times
Quote:
There is more info I just did it really quick google search. That article was from June.
Oh, okay. This post needs more of that type of stuff. Have anything else on what's going in that area?

Old 09-05-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Big deal, richmond has a fed reserve bank, likely because it's one of the oldest cities in the nation.

That Sacramento has the attributes, income levels, educational attainment as high as it does without having a single fortune 500 just shows how great Sacramento's people are. We have done fine for long time without a fortune 500 company.
Sacramento and the Sacramento area also has Aerojet (Aerospace Co.), Intel, Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Siemans, Robotics, and some small to medium size eCompanies.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:32 PM

3,571 posts, read 2,595,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Raleigh
Oklahoma City
Nashville
Providence
Indianapolis
Salt Lake City

....could all give Sac a run for its money. Even Honolulu offers more than Sac IMO.
Not really. All of those regions are much smaller, with way lower Gdp's than Sac, in way harsher climates, with much more conservative leanings, and more segregation.

Honolulu is so economically irrelevant that they are not even in the top 50 metros for gdp. It's an economy based off tourism, military, and wealthy retirees. At least with Florida, there is a low cost of living to go along with low wages. In Honolulu you get Manhattan/Sf cost of living, with Florida wages. Never mind the cultural/physical isolation from the rest of the world.

Nice place to visit, but unless you're Asian and love the beach...wouldn't want to live there.

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 09-05-2015 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac5890 View Post
I don't know anything about either city but based on what I've read, I chose Sacramento. It is a bigger city and its California. Being the capital of Virginia is not the same as being the capital of California. Despite packing a punch for its size, Richmond seems it belongs with peers like Madison WI, Providence, RI, and Boise, ID, cities that are comparable in population and are university towns. Sacramento strikes me as more balanced.

Just my 2 cents.
Bingo.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:39 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,845,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac5890 View Post
I don't know anything about either city but based on what I've read, I chose Sacramento. It is a bigger city and its California. Being the capital of Virginia is not the same as being the capital of California. Despite packing a punch for its size, Richmond seems it belongs with peers like Madison WI, Providence, RI, and Boise, ID, cities that are comparable in population and are university towns. Sacramento strikes me as more balanced.

Just my 2 cents.
Your perception is way off---you said Richmond "seems", insinuating that you have no reason to feel that way other than the fact Richmond is small...

In the pantheon of capital cities, the only ones clearly, unequivocally, without doubt ahead of Richmond:

Boston, DC, ATL, Austin, Denver, and PHX....I'm inclined to say Indy and Columbus as well, but that's arguable...

That's 8/51. Every other capital city, Richmond is either ahead of or it is extremely debatable--excluding NO capital that isn't on that top 8 above. Ironically, these would be the same capital cities Sacramento is either ahead, behind, or debatable to, more or less....

And Boise and Madison are definitely below Richmond...

I swear, some of you people act like Sacramento is some extraordinarily unique metropolis. Considering these are your cities comparable to Richmond, what cities, in your opinion, compare to Sacramento?

Please do not try Denver or Phoenix...

Any capital city not in that first eight are comparable with both Richmond and Sacramento. Even Columbus and Indianapolis are not so far ahead of either that they don't warrant competition....

At going on nearly 2.5 million people, Sacramento offers next time nothing that Richmond doesn't. Talk about a waste of population....

Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Y

At going on nearly 2.5 million people, Sacramento offers next time nothing that Richmond doesn't. Talk about a waste of population....
How extremely arrogant and condescending, calling 2.5 million people a waste, really. A lot of these 2.5 million people live very productive lives and raise educated young adults, send billions in tax dollars to the federal gov't.

Sacramento produces people like Anthony Kennedy Justice of the Supreme Court, a Sacramentan, and the 3 heros all Sacramentans, who saved the lives of 500+ people on a French a few weeks ago.

Sacramento and it's Mayor are giving those american heros a parade on September 11 in Sacramento.

French train hero Spencer Stone returns to California | The Sacramento Bee

French train hero returns to Sacramento | The Sacramento Bee

9/11 parade set in Sacramento for France train heroes - SFGate

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/22/us...oots.html?_r=0

Old 09-06-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Your perception is way off---you said Richmond "seems", insinuating that you have no reason to feel that way other than the fact Richmond is small...

In the pantheon of capital cities, the only ones clearly, unequivocally, without doubt ahead of Richmond:

Boston, DC, ATL, Austin, Denver, and PHX....I'm inclined to say Indy and Columbus as well, but that's arguable...

That's 8/51. Every other capital city, Richmond is either ahead of or it is extremely debatable--excluding NO capital that isn't on that top 8 above. Ironically, these would be the same capital cities Sacramento is either ahead, behind, or debatable to, more or less....

And Boise and Madison are definitely below Richmond...

I swear, some of you people act like Sacramento is some extraordinarily unique metropolis. Considering these are your cities comparable to Richmond, what cities, in your opinion, compare to Sacramento?

Please do not try Denver or Phoenix...

Any capital city not in that first eight are comparable with both Richmond and Sacramento. Even Columbus and Indianapolis are not so far ahead of either that they don't warrant competition....

People have already told you quantifiable things that Sac offers over Richmond. You don't want to see it, that is your choice.

For me, first and foremost Richmond is way too dangerous. Twice as many murders as Sac, with half the population.

It is more segregated than Sac. I'm a native of the LA area, segregation is ****ed up.

It's less diverse, which makes for a less diverse food scene.

Richmond is less dense and has lesser public transit. Sometimes people just prefer not to drive.

I can watch my Lakers when they play in Sac. Or just catch a random game to watch NBA ball.

I work for the goverment, so for me Sacramento is a considerably better market. Higher pay, more job openings, and a larger local and state economy to keep it that way..

Madison is a good comparison to Richmond. Sacramento is probably in the same league Columbus or Indy metros- different fish, but the same size in the same pond.

Richmond isn't bad, it's just that the Civil War is over -which was when Richmond was at its peak prominance.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 AM

998 posts, read 885,912 times
Quote:
How extremely arrogant and condescending, calling 2.5 million people a waste, really. A lot of these 2.5 million people live very productive lives and raise educated young adults, send billions in tax dollars to the federal gov't.

Sacramento produces people like Anthony Kennedy Justice of the Supreme Court, a Sacramentan, and the 3 heros all Sacramentans, who saved the lives of 500+ people on a French a few weeks ago.

Sacramento and it's Mayor are giving those american heros a parade on September 11 in Sacramento.

French train hero Spencer Stone returns to California | The Sacramento Bee

French train hero returns to Sacramento | The Sacramento Bee

9/11 parade set in Sacramento for France train heroes - SFGate

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/22/us...oots.html?_r=0
You and the Wizard dude have been arrogant and condescending from the get go, quintessential provincial California homers. I am a native Californian, now Virginian, and I SO don't miss your type. It's actually one of the reasons we left the Golden State, way too much painful egocentricity among it's citizens.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 09-06-2015 at 03:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City