U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:37 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,077,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Being a native Californian I have been to Sacto quite a bit, some natives probably don't even bother.
I have spent a great deal of time camping in her neighboring Delta and Gold Country. I have partied on houseboats in Rio Vista. I have skied at Heavenly, I have watched a 4th of July parade in Nevada City on the summer after 9/11 and there was not a dry eye on the street. I have very good friends in Penn Valley and Grass Valley (do you know where they are?) and we have watched fireworks on the lake in Penn Valley and walked back up to the house and had spit roasted lamb with lots of good ass NorCal vino.
I love it all but NOT Sacramento itself. She is uber underwhelming for being the capital of CALIFORNIA! ESPECIALLY the burbs, ahh Roseville, enchanting, Short Pump not quite realized.
There is no there there in Sacto.
Richmond HAS a there there and it has much more personality, soul and vibrancy.
Sacramento has a lot of flood historic markers and Gold Rush historic markers and there is really nothing to make one feel that they are not in anywhere USA.......
Peace out citizen.....
Ouch....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:44 PM

819 posts, read 671,990 times
The de facto theme song of Richmond
http://youtu.be/MEjNggZsWow

Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,038,326 times
Virginia isn't a welfare state, it just houses a huge number of government agencies, military installations, and government xontractors.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:10 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,168,934 times
I really hope a ripped off song isn't going to be the new football club's theme song.

Only thing that's regrettable is when people view this post in the future they'll see the negativity and boosterism coming from a few of the Sac posters, which will possibly cause them to shy away from a great town.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 AM

5,384 posts, read 7,717,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I really hope a ripped off song isn't going to be the new football club's theme song.

Only thing that's regrettable is when people view this post in the future they'll see the negativity and boosterism coming from a few of the Sac posters, which will possibly cause them to shy away from a great town.
I'm sorry but in this case the boosterism is kinda provoked. Richmond clearly isn't on the same level that Sac is on and the Sac homers (although they might be overboard on a few things) are just strongly stating why they aren't peer cities. No one is necessarily saying Sac is some great city that punches above its weight, but that it's ahead of Richmond, which it is...

Old 09-08-2015, 01:01 AM

934 posts, read 1,652,997 times
Quote:

Dude, Sac's boosterism isn't any different than Richmond or any other city. So save me the bull, please.

At least Sac is more than likely to land an MLS expansion team, which is something Richmond can not say nor will ever get. Funny for a town with no Fortune 500 companies, Sac is capable to support the NBA for over 30 years. We are one of 32 cities that can prestigiously call home to major league professional sports in the US.

Richmond likes to talk about how the Redskins holding training camp there. That's for like a month or so out of the year! There's a reason they are not called the Richmond Redskins.

Oh, by the way, check this baby out. Take a look at the Golden 1 Center under construction in downtown Sacramento, where the Kings will move to in 2016. If only the Richmond Coliseum looked as stunning as that.

Last edited by pistola916; 09-08-2015 at 01:18 AM..

Old 09-08-2015, 01:35 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,168,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I'm sorry but in this case the boosterism is kinda provoked. Richmond clearly isn't on the same level that Sac is on and the Sac homers (although they might be overboard on a few things) are just strongly stating why they aren't peer cities.
How do you provoke boosterism?

It's not even that though. It's the non sequiters being thrown out by a poster more than anything.

Reading comprehension seems suspect in a few posts (or maybe it's just willful ignorance), but the point is people always look better when they put forth the virtues of the place they love rather than trying to tear down another place.

That goes for both sides.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:25 AM

4,518 posts, read 4,514,555 times
More on culture in Sacramento: Sacramento

This 65 year old institution is our "classic summer stock, of broadway musicals" with a twist it's "theater in the round".
It's a medium size theater, but Intimate and lovely. Every seat is a good seat.

Music Circus

Old 09-08-2015, 02:42 AM

4,518 posts, read 4,514,555 times
Quote:

Yes, i agree Sacramento is a Great town including its boosters, and homers. And who cares about the song, as if, other sports teams, or bands don't borrow from old standbys - your comment was just another pot-shot at Sacramento.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:57 AM

998 posts, read 808,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sorry disagree, you obviously have not been to Sacramento in awhile. Indeed, Sacramento has soul and personality. There is a there there in Sacramento, even this recreational video is in the heart of where the American River runs through Sacramento City and County.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-pe5s_zXE

Rafting down the American River in Sacramento is huge day to day past time. Obviously, these folks in the video are having a good time.

Your issues with Roseville or any other suburban area apply to all the other suburbans areas across the united states including the Richmond metro area. Besides, I have a great time in suburban backyards with pools, parties, and bbq's, who doesn't like that, jeez.

Some Sacramento soul and personality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU3dj7iWAS0
I was there last summer and there is still no there there.
I don't have issues with suburbs, live in one.
I do have issues with extreme, unrealistic defensiveness and sophomoric belching.
I'm gonna rest my case with this thread, the one-up-manship has grown desperate.
Thanks for an initially great topic PortPittAsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City