U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:53 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,301,745 times

Advertisements

Well, I haven't had the chance to make it to Sacramento yet, but I did just get back from my Richmond visit so I have a better understanding of the race issues and diversity now.

People mix freely in Richmond and on the whole are fairly friendly, but when it came to groups of friends hanging out it was all black people together or all white people. Even in the Midwest you will see groups with a token minority so I don't know what the deal is with Richmond.

From a daily interactions with strangers of different races standpoint it was very pleasant. More so than someplace like Pittsburgh and more frequent than say someplace like Portland.

There seems to be a self segregating pattern to where the groups live as well.

Mixed couples were no big deal, but I saw fewer mixed couples there than many places I've been (where this is acceptable to others).

Mostly Black, White, Latin, and East Indian people (in that order) were represented in Richmond. A good number of attractive women sprinkled throughout. Lots of cute black girls, but most weren't interested in me personally, which was depressing. Although even those who weren't interested were still friendly enough to talk to you for a bit. Fashion seems to be a big deal in Richmond. If you're not fashionable in one of the styles featured in the city it seems like you're going to have a harder time of it.

The singles scene seemed to favor guys over women. Not as many handsome guys running around. Dating range seemed to be best for people in the 18-30, maybe 35, range. If you're a social slacker in the 21-27 range who likes to date attractive college girls Richmond is probably going to be a great city for you.

Overall about 15% of the women I found attractive were also interested (10% is about average for Joe Schmo), but that was less than half the interest I got in Minneapolis and significantly less than the interest I got a while back asking about Sacramento (online). Not sure if that's enough to tell me anything worthwhile though.

Hopefully I'll get to my Sacramento trip shortly so I'll be able to add more to this later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 06:31 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,831,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Well, I haven't had the chance to make it to Sacramento yet, but I did just get back from my Richmond visit so I have a better understanding of the race issues and diversity now.

People mix freely in Richmond and on the whole are fairly friendly, but when it came to groups of friends hanging out it was all black people together or all white people. Even in the Midwest you will see groups with a token minority so I don't know what the deal is with Richmond.

From a daily interactions with strangers of different races standpoint it was very pleasant. More so than someplace like Pittsburgh and more frequent than say someplace like Portland.

There seems to be a self segregating pattern to where the groups live as well.

Mixed couples were no big deal, but I saw fewer mixed couples there than many places I've been (where this is acceptable to others).

Mostly Black, White, Latin, and East Indian people (in that order) were represented in Richmond. A good number of attractive women sprinkled throughout. Lots of cute black girls, but most weren't interested in me personally, which was depressing. Although even those who weren't interested were still friendly enough to talk to you for a bit. Fashion seems to be a big deal in Richmond. If you're not fashionable in one of the styles featured in the city it seems like you're going to have a harder time of it.

The singles scene seemed to favor guys over women. Not as many handsome guys running around. Dating range seemed to be best for people in the 18-30, maybe 35, range. If you're a social slacker in the 21-27 range who likes to date attractive college girls Richmond is probably going to be a great city for you.

Overall about 15% of the women I found attractive were also interested (10% is about average for Joe Schmo), but that was less than half the interest I got in Minneapolis and significantly less than the interest I got a while back asking about Sacramento (online). Not sure if that's enough to tell me anything worthwhile though.

Hopefully I'll get to my Sacramento trip shortly so I'll be able to add more to this later.
Damn, I wish you would have messaged me while you were here! I think we're in the same age range (I'm 27 next month, late twenties officially!)

Where did you go while you were here? What did you do?

People here are really friendly. There are groups of mixed friends--my friends in Jackson Ward are three white boys, and a mixed race black/asian girl. So that kinda typifies your "token" minority observation. However, her last boyfriend was white, and she's been with guys/girls of all stripes. She's very comfortable with her sexuality lol. If you are a decent guy, she'd have shown interest...

However, you're dead on in your analysis of self-segregation. The majority of clicks you will see here do tend to be race-specific. The neighborhoods in our core are extremely diverse, and while thats where you see more clusters of mixed groups, the rest of our city isn't as much so. Neighborhoods tend to be racially monotonous, although the Southside has odd patterns of white----to white/black-----to black------to black/hispanic. The Hispanics all tend to live around blacks on the Southside...

So in these areas specifically, it is understood Sacramento will have a mountainous advantage. Sac is more diverse, more integrated, has more variety in interracial dating, has more groupings of interracial friends. Rich has these things as well, and again, there is really no public displays or even "feelings" of racism. People in Rich are comfortable with interracial dating. But we are no match to Sacramento here, I'm positive, it just isn't as widespread here...

Fashion is huge here. Rich has a deeply sophisticated, even almost snooty, hoity-toity subculture. People have always dressed nice here. Many of our fashion cues come from The District. I'm sure a parallel in Sac would be for SF/Bay Area fashion...

This city is a playground if you're looking to date younger. We have a huge college and transient population. It is still enjoyable, though, if you are older. I'm taken and approaching my late twenties, but younger women and older women alike and of all races represented here have shown interest. And I've dated interracially and am a lover of all women, although my top preference would probably be black women. Again, to reiterate, you cab find black chicks in Rich interested in you, just likely not as plentiful as in Sac...

Old 05-19-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Where did you go while you were here? What did you do?
Oh, I guess it just never occurred to me that CD people do meet ups.

Mostly the core areas plus the south side and was lost at one point on the west side (I want to say it was called Hill something. Big houses, but not all of them were kept up).

Church Hill, Shockoe Bottom & Slip, Downtown, The Fan, Belle Island, whatever that area is on the other side of Belle Island, the area around the Virginia War Memorial, Monroe and Jackson Ward, the VCU area, Museum District (didn't really go N of 250 out there or W of 195), Carytown.

At one point I was lost in an industrial area that seemed to lack stop signs and another with a bunch of snarled roads that all seemed to head for the highway in a free for all.

For a bit I was out driving around the Turnpike area as well.

Usually I'd want at least a week to check out a city, but all I got was two days on short notice. I guess I did an okay job, but could have been better.

Walked more than I have for a long time. Not sure how much. I do know it was over 50 miles between the two days. So I guess you could say I walked two marathons back to back (yeah, and I wondered why my legs were gone by the end).

Mostly tried to do local stuff like finding the secret beach spots (found 3 of the rock type ones and one that might have been a very small (4'x10') sandy beach over this wall. Looked like the rock might have been carved back into the wall, but I left it alone when some locals stopped to see what I was doing.

Knew I wouldn't have time (or the stomach) to hit all the places I wanted to eat so I figured if I went to some dive bar/diner type places that would at least give me an idea of the food on the lower end. Surprisingly most of it was better than what I can get here in Asheville.

Strange Matter, Wonderland, and Galaxy Diner were a few places. Places around VCU, but I forget most of what they were called. Looked in Tobacco Company, but didn't get the chance to eat there. As far as that goes a lot of places I wanted to eat at never happened.

Ended up being a mix of touristy stuff and local stuff in the end as I was scouting a possible move instead of just being a tourist. Nice city.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:39 AM

Update: I've decided to go with Sacramento. In the end the diversity and having light rail tipped the scales. Thanks everybody who contributed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City