U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:18 AM

15,404 posts, read 24,395,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Geez, ok......Bay Areans move to Sacramento because you can buy a house for under a million bucks.
DC'ers move to Richmond because it possesses personality, charm, food and art and will not suck the life out of you.
It close to beaches, mountains, horse country wineries, DC, NY, excellent higher education, deep history and the greenness/topography of the landscape is captivating.
That is certainly true that A LOT of people from the Bay Area move to Sacramento for cheaper housing BUT it does also possess many of the qualities you describe about Richmond (charm, food, art, etc..) and is less of a rat race. So people from DC don't move to Richmond for a lower cost of living and slower/different lifestyle as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I think one of the big differences, at least from my perspective is living in Sac I'd want to visit San Francisco, but living in Richmond I'd probably only go to DC for the museums. As far as the other nature type things nearby I think Sac and Richmond are fairly even. Although that's just a guess.
DC certainly has much better and more interesting museums/MONUMENTS than SF, by far imo, but you don't think the city itself is worth visiting?

One of Sac's biggest selling points is its proximity to some pretty spectacular nature areas like the Sierra Nevada's/Lake Tahoe and Pacific coast. VA is definitely very beautiful in that 4 season/East Coast way though. It's shoreline while probably not as scenic/dramatic as the Northern CA coastline is likely more user friendly with warmer beach weather and water in summer.

Quote:
I think it means people move from SF to Sacramento for quality of life reasons, but people move from DC to Richmond for additional reasons because each of those cities offers a specific type of interest not necessarily the same between the two.
i'm just curious what those "additional reasons" are. Yes a lot of people move from the Bay Area to Sacramento for a lower COL and less rat race culture but I was just curious to what differences existed between DC and Richmond and SF and Sac, just really have't seen a good answer or explanation on the difference.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:01 AM

998 posts, read 799,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento has plenty of personality, charm, food and art; a lot more than richmond, va. AND Sacramento is a very diverse and integrated city unlike richmond.

Napa Valley, Sonoma, Amador much better for wine the Va. Lake Tahoe and Sierra, and the Cascades some serious mountains better than than the Appalacians.

Some of the best education in the world in very close to Sacramento. UC Davis(12 miles), UC Berkeley(65miles); Stanford(2hours), Santa Clara University, UCSF....a few more.
Umm, no, Sacramento does not have a lot more personality, charm, food and art than Richmond. I have been to Sacto many times and to be brutally honest there is not a lot of there there.

Some mountains are stupendous and colossal and some are gorgeous and green so "serious mountains" is relative.

University of Virginia, University of Richmond, VA Commonwealth University, James Madison University, Old Dominion University, William & Mary, George Washington University

Chesapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean, AWARD WINNING VA wines with almost 300 now established, oyster and wine trails in coastal Va visited by paddleboarding where both goodies can be tasted and purchased. MT. Vernon, Yorktown, Jamestown, Williamsburg, , National Gallery of Art, VA Museum of Fine Arts, Smithsonian, Monticello, wild horses hanging out on the beaches of the Eastern Shore and the Outer Banks.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 08-30-2015 at 03:06 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That is certainly true that A LOT of people from the Bay Area move to Sacramento for cheaper housing BUT it does also possess many of the qualities you describe about Richmond (charm, food, art, etc..) and is less of a rat race. So people from DC don't move to Richmond for a lower cost of living and slower/different lifestyle as well?
Yes COL is a reason why people move to Richmond from DC. I believe I said that people move south from DC to a place that "doesn't suck the life out of them" so that would tie up with "slower/different lifestyle", right?

Old 08-30-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Yes COL is a reason why people move to Richmond from DC. I believe I said that people move south from DC to a place that "doesn't suck the life out of them" so that would tie up with "slower/different lifestyle", right?
Yes, I was just trying to get what you and others were saying about the difference in why people move from DC to Richmond being significantly different than people that move from the SF Bay Area to Sac. I still don't see what the difference is honestly in that regard.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, I was just trying to get what you and others were saying about the difference in why people move from DC to Richmond being significantly different than people that move from the SF Bay Area to Sac. I still don't see what the difference is honestly in that regard.
OK, other than cost of living and slower pace the difference is that people move from DC to Richmond for the food, art, culture and history in a more serene setting. People don't move from the Bay Area to Sacto for the food, art, culture and history in a more serene setting....that's the diff.
The main driver for the Bay Area to Sacto movers is a house with a yard that won't bankrupt them.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 AM

Quote:
OK, other than cost of living and slower pace the difference is that people move from DC to Richmond for the food, art, culture and history in a more serene setting. People don't move from the Bay Area to Sacto for the food, art, culture and history in a more serene setting....that's the diff.
The main driver for the Bay Area to Sacto movers is a house with a yard that won't bankrupt them.
So Richmond offers better food, art, culture, and history than the DC area? If people are moving to there for those reasons then it would imply it offers something superior to DC in those regards right?

Old 08-30-2015, 04:32 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,155,954 times
Quote:
So Richmond offers better food, art, culture, and history than the DC area? If people are moving to there for those reasons then it would imply it offers something superior to DC in those regards right?
I can't speak to those things, but DC is just a different city than Richmond. I'd imagine people would move to Richmond to get away from the DC thing, but I'm not sure how many people who like Richmond would move to DC.

It's alright for a visit, but I wouldn't live there. Not because it isn't a nice place, but because it just appeals to me less so than other places with a better price tag.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:40 AM

3,327 posts, read 2,248,534 times
absolutely DC isn't inferior to Rich, and that isn't what I think he meant...

@Port, many people who like Rich have moved to DC, and vice versa. I've grown up with a bunch of people who either now live in The City or in a MD or VA suburb. It isn't uncommon...

When people choose to move to Rich from DC, often they have a job that they took in Rich where COL is cheaper. Some people from DC are retirees and yes, find Richmond to be the right "pace" to live out their golden years. There are people who enjoy Rich because while there are eras or circumstances that may remind of DC, it's far enough out that it possesses its own culture and personality. A lot of DC natives find Rich too "small", but there are those who do love that smaller, more "serene" setting as opposed to city life...

As far as things to do and location, Richmond is smack in the middle nearly an equal distance from The District, the mountains, and the beaches. That location is pretty much unrivaled amongst smaller cities on the East Coast (mountains/big city/beaches). There is so much history in Virginia, driving through any rural county or small town is almost like a step back in time, in a positive way. As mentioned, there is no shortage of festivals and museums and events in Richmond city--quite a lot actually, considering Richmond's size...

As far as race and integration is concerned, Sac is more diverse and more integrated, but Rich isn't wholly segregated, that's a lie. There is a sizable Hispanic population in Greater Richmond, but it's a different kind of Hispanic. The biggest difference in race is that California (and Sac, I'm assuming?) has always had a Mexican or Latino population, while Richmond has always had a black population. In Cali Hispanic culture permeates the overall state culture, it's hard to live in California without seeing the Hispanic influence in food, speech, politics, on and on...

Likewise in Richmond, you see the black influence in the city. Nowhere in California, and I'm including Sac here, is a better place for blacks, blacks are basically an afterthought out there, which is saying something because we're an afterthought in the country at large. There are only a few areas where it is relatively comfortable overall for blacks, and most of those are in the South or on the East...I'd imagine this is probably how Mexicans or other Hispanics might view Richmond, though, so I think it is relatable...

So regarding diversity, Richmond has Indians and Asians and Arabs too, just in lesser quantity. I don't think it is any more racist in Richmond than it is in Sac....

Old 08-30-2015, 08:37 AM

89 posts, read 78,509 times
I do envy the downtown shopping and light rail in Sacramento.

Two things that the citizens of inner-city Richmond (and tourists alike) seriously need at their fingertips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City