Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:20 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I was responding to the other poster's assertion that diversity is not the only positive trait that Sacramento has compared to Richmond. But to answer your questions:

1. Interracial relationships is a big thing in Sac, pretty much in California really. Dating scene is great too. There is a significant LGBT community in Midtown.

2. The city is incredible diverse and integrated, so much so that Sacramento is ranked fifth most diverse city in the nation, according to Nerd Wallet. Richmond was ranked 141st. 2015’s Most Diverse Cities in America | WalletHub®

3. Food. Sacramento is known as the Farm-to-Fork Capital, which basically means we outsource our food within 200 miles of the city. Because we pride ourselves of our diversity, ethnic cuisine here is the best. Unlike Richmond, which is known for Southern, Sac wins out in Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Filipino, Salvadorean.

Also, craft beer and coffee is huge in Sacramento. Some have called Sacramento's coffee scene as the most underrated in the world!

4. The central city (Downtown/Midtown/East Sacramento) are the premier neighborhoods for walkability. The central city is laid out on a grid, which like all of Sacramento, is flat. That makes it not only walkable but also bike friendly. In terms of bike friendliness, Sacramento was ranked eighth, behind DC but ahead of Philadelphia.

5. Sac gets a ton of sunshine. It can get very hot during the summer and mild during the winter. Recreational activities are big here, too. The city sits on the American and Sacramento rivers. The real gem of the city is the 32-mile American River Parkway, where one can kayak, raft, boat, bike, jog, whatever. In fact, Sac was listed as the fifth fittest city in America.

So there you have it. The food is superb, the weather is nice, our diversity is amazing. Plus our public transit and international airport are far more extensive than Richmond's.
You keep bringing up diversity, but diversity IS NOT the same as integration at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 07:01 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
@poquoson, my "ignorant" comment was aimed at that @wizard guy...

@pistola, I just lost my whole post which was almost complete, and don't have the time to re type. In general though:

-Sacramento has an advantage only in light rail. When considering that Richmond is within driving distance of ~40% of the U.S. Population (ATL to Boston), air travel isn't as necessary here as it is there. Rich is within three hrs of IAD/BWI/National, which is the equivalent of SFO/Oakland/SJ, so an array of air options are just as available. That Sac has the busier airport is really a non factor when taking other factors into consideration...
-you absolutely do not get to tout Sac as a better sports city, pro or otherwise. The Kickers are one of the oldest USL teams so apparently something is going right. Richmond hosts the Washington Redskins training camp every summer, has NASCAR, has a MUCH larger following of college athletics (UVA, VT, VCU, UR), and is probably more popular in recreational sports (kayaking, rafting, tennis, cycling, etc). Sacramento has the Kings lol, who almost came to Virginia. All jokes aside, Sac is not a better sports town...
-you absolutely spoke out of turn saying all Richmond offers is Soutyern cuisine---which, by the way, gives it an advantage over Sac. Rich is WELL KNOWN within that industry/circles as a burgeoning food city, and yes, this includes ethnic (Liberian, Greek/Mediterranean, French, etc) as well as bakeries and sandwich shops. Richmond is also known for its farm-to-table culture, has a huge craft brewing scene, a huge wine scene, and yeah....you might wanna do some research if you think Richmond is lesser than Sacramento in food...

I had a much more detailed post earlier, but all of these things are easy to confirm. It isn't difficult to see that Sacramento really only outclasses Richmond in diversity and integration. Tell us one more time, lest we forget again...

Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 AM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Food for thought, the most diverse cities in the country are in CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Well if you actually saw what I was responding to you would realize that the poster said California cities as a whole are the most integrated in the country and I was just letting him know that his statement was a broad statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
For starters, we're comparing Richmond and Sac, not LA or SF. Sacramento is one of if not THE most integrated and diverse metro in the US.
http://priceonomics.com/the-most-and...es-in-america/

You're right, my bad, I did overlook some context before posting that. Sacramento is pretty proud of how diverse and integrated we are, so it felt like a way to tear down Sac by dragging in another city's demographics. Wizard's statement is still correct though.

If you look at my link, even though there is some clear segregation existing in SF & LA, they are actually quite integrated compared to most US metros. Too bad RVA isn't on that list, I'd like to see the comparison.

Don't come at Sac trying to win with location or diversity/integration (even though RVA might be great for both). Probably the metro's two top strengths.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:18 AM

^^^location is extremely debatable...

Old 08-31-2015, 10:55 AM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Which is better for:

1. Nightlife/Dating
Sacramento has more people which always lends itself to a more dynamic dating scene. Many Northern Californians acknowledge there are more attractive people (% not absolute) in Sac than the Bay. Plus the transient/immigrant nature of California and the (world-leading ) diversity/integration of Sac contribute greatly to the dating scene.

Nightlife is centered on the grid, the downtown and midtown areas that make up the urban core of Sac. Picture hundreds of tree lined, gridded blocks filled with coffee shops, cafes, bars, boutiques, etc. Summer evenings/nights are magical; warm and dry with a palpable energy in the air. Many of Sactown's finest start in kitchens/bars in Sac, go off to work for the world's best in SF or Napa, and come back to Sac to open up their own bar or restaurant because they can afford their own place here. Our craft cocktail scene is already being recognized nationally (Google Shady Lady).

Quote:
2. People/Everyday Living
Quote:
Sacramento seems to be California friendly meets Midwestern.

Richmond seems to be a mix of southern hospitality meets Mid-Atlantic.
People describe Sac as being Midwest in personality. I can kinda see it. Truly we are Californian though; maybe more so than SF and LA at this point because we haven't had the breakneck pace of immigration from outside of California like they have had. Very laid back, live and let live, but with a caring and community feel that comes from not being a megacity.

Quote:
3. Food (with specific types that are good in each)
Great Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Laotian, Vietnamese, Salvadorean, Filipino, Mediterranean, Eastern European. Plus California cuisine all over, great fresh local ingredients prepared in dishes that echo California's cosmopolitan nature. Cheese and fruit plates with wine all 100% sourced from within 50 miles, etc. Oh, and for the people who were trying to talk up VA's wine production: 95% of all wine in the US comes from California. Sacramento has in an hour's drive: Napa, the Delta area wineries, El Dorado County wines, Amador County wineries, Lodi area wines.

Quote:
4. Walkability within the intercity and close neighborhoods
This looks like a push. Both core areas are about 3 square miles (Downtown/Midtown vs. Downtown, Fan, Museum) and are very walkable. Streetcar suburbs surround each core. RVA does looks like it has good treecover, which as a Sacramentan is one of the first things I notice about cities. Sac is one of the best for urban tree cover and tree lines streets, Portland does great, LA & SF, not so much. I will say that Sac has bike lanes throughout the core whereas RVA looks much more fragmented.

Quote:
5. Weather/Nature Activities mixed with city life
Well, weather is something that only LA, SF, and SD can really claim to objectively beat Sac at. I'll let Chimerique carry that fight if needed. Nature: two rivers flowing through the city, two lakes if you count Natoma, which I do. Right on the edge of the Delta, the eastern Sacramento suburbs stretch into the foothills. You can get off of your job in Folsom on a Tues and be climbing on multi-pitch granite cliffs within the hour. Want to head up to Tahoe in the morning and have a day of skiing (world class btw), hiking, or whatever, and make it back to Sac in time for a nice dinner downtown? Doable.

Oh and the people claiming our sports suck. We're fiercely loyal to the Kings, as funky of a franchise as they may be. Being able to go to a NBA game > not being able to go. Our USL team is new but dominating and will be MLS before Richmond's team. Sacramentans also follow Bay Area teams to a greater degree than Richmond follows DC I'd imagine. There are more 49'ers season ticket holders in Sacramento than there are in SF. Seriously. You see Giants, A's, Raiders, Niner's gear everywhere here.

Transportation I think has already been covered. Sac > RVA.

What else?

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
^^^location is extremely debatable...
Nope. RVA like I said has probably one of the best locations on the East Coast. But the Sierras > Appalachians, SF > DC, and I'll take the Delta and Northern Ca coast over Chesapeake and Delaware/VA/NC coastline all day.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Interesting...

Your typical NYC Rican or migrant Rican?

Well, like I said it was a guess. It's not really about amenities, but rather the tone/feel/vibe/people of the cities. I would think most people can make a distinction between Northern Virginia and Richmond so why try to sit there and claim DC and Richmond are basically the same (with only differences seen in the size of the two)?

If I was interested in paying DC prices I'd just move to Boston and be done with it.

@WizardOfRadical I don't understand what you're trying to say. I'm going to assume you're trolling for now. Sorry.
Who said anything about the two cities being the same? Eye love Richmond but it's not DC's equal and this is about your little fight with Sacramento who's neck and neck with Rich in your poll. Eye essentially said DC has the things that Richmond has but in greater quantity as well as other top quality amenities that are practically minimal to non-existent in Rich, Eye also don't recall saying anything specific to Northern Virginia either. And I'd prefer moving to Philly over Boston so you do what you want. If people want an airy big city vibe without feeling like an overwhelming concrete jungle, they'll go with DC, but if they want a big town vibe with a more intimate pace, they'll go with Richmond.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:58 AM

None of what you said is concrete or undebatable....

Richmond has a hopping nightlife compared to other cities of its size, so there's no lack there. Maybe dating is better in Sac, one has more options...

Food in RVA: Greek, French, Italian, Eastern European, Mexican, Vietnamese, Chinese, Cajun, Creole, Seafood, Indian, Mediterranean, steakhouses, Korean, Caribbean, Liberian, chic bistros and cafes...and of course awesome Southern cuisine. Richmond lies in Central Virginia between the coast and the major produce areas of the Shenandoah. I already know that California is the top wine-producing area of the country, and that Sacramento gets to enjoy the spoils of that; however, this doesn't render Virginia wine insignificant, as we also have award winning wine. See how close this is? And yet Sacramento is twice the size of Rich, but doesn't offer twice the variety. Richmond clearly has the edge in certain foods that aren't even available in Sac...

Weather is not better in Sacramento. It is less humidity, but there is no snow. There's more sunshine, but there's more rain...and I didn't bring up sports, a Sacramento booster chalked you all up for the win, without realizing that there is also a very loyal soccer community here. There still is less of a college athletics and recreational sport following there. And I can tell you've NEVER been to Richmond if you think you guys follow Bay teams more than we follow (and support) DC teams. Central Virginia is intrinsically tied to Capital teams, those are the de facto home teams, and DC teams reciprocate that energy and love to Richmond. The question is, do the Bay Area teams support any community functions in Sacramento? And I haven't even mentioned Baltimore, because there are quite a few Ravens and Orioles fans running around here too. Your guy jumped the gun on that sports topic, anybody with any familiarity of RVA knows what goes on here....

Transportation is better in Sac , only for public transit and maybe Amtrak. The airport is irrelevant as Richmond is in an area where flying is not as necessary as it is there. Sacramento is isolated and you want to claim location as better than ours? In the time is takes you to get to LA, we can get to New York; advantage Richmond, and we don't have to fly because the trip driving is more pleasing than driving through California. In the time it takes you to get to either Portland or Vegas, we can be in either Boston or Atlanta---all the while passing other cities like Hampton Roads, Charlotte, The Triangle, Baltimore, Philly, cities of New Jersey, Providence, etc, with more mountains and more beaches within our reach....but your location is better?

To me SF and DC are a draw. Maybe SF is a little stronger, but those two cities are generally in the same tier, and anything that is offered in SF is offered in DC. Personally, I don't see the appeal in living in a city that has complete disregard for its black citizens, it's homeless, and it's poor. So no, advantage swings DC>>>SF,..

For 'me' the only thing interesting about the Northern Cali coast is that I can visit Napa. The Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore of VA/MD, not to mention the Outer Banks of NC, offer so much more history and of course, seafood...

ASIDE:

Some of my post is in jest, because many of these categories, there is no "best", it all boils down to personal taste. However, I do believe that for Richmond to only be half of Sacramento's size, it certainly holds up well in most categories....and we haven't even begun to talk about the more educated population, the better educational institutions, the better role in federal government, the better arts culture, the stronger corporate base and business climate, the better history, better architecture, all in Richmond....

Sacramento underperforms given its size. Richmond outperforms its size. Some of you really have no idea how to hold an objective population...

Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Who said anything about the two cities being the same? Eye love Richmond but it's not DC's equal and this is about your little fight with Sacramento who's neck and neck with Rich in your poll. Eye essentially said DC has the things that Richmond has but in greater quantity as well as other top quality amenities that are practically minimal to non-existent in Rich, Eye also don't recall saying anything specific to Northern Virginia either. And I'd prefer moving to Philly over Boston so you do what you want. If people want an airy big city vibe without feeling like an overwhelming concrete jungle, they'll go with DC, but if they want a big town vibe with a more intimate pace, they'll go with Richmond.
What is with the whole "Eye" thing?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@pistola, I just lost my whole post which was almost complete, and don't have the time to re type. In general though:

-Sacramento has an advantage only in light rail. When considering that Richmond is within driving distance of ~40% of the U.S. Population (ATL to Boston), air travel isn't as necessary here as it is there. Rich is within three hrs of IAD/BWI/National, which is the equivalent of SFO/Oakland/SJ, so an array of air options are just as available. That Sac has the busier airport is really a non factor when taking other factors into consideration...
-you absolutely do not get to tout Sac as a better sports city, pro or otherwise. The Kickers are one of the oldest USL teams so apparently something is going right. Richmond hosts the Washington Redskins training camp every summer, has NASCAR, has a MUCH larger following of college athletics (UVA, VT, VCU, UR), and is probably more popular in recreational sports (kayaking, rafting, tennis, cycling, etc). Sacramento has the Kings lol, who almost came to Virginia. All jokes aside, Sac is not a better sports town...
-you absolutely spoke out of turn saying all Richmond offers is Soutyern cuisine---which, by the way, gives it an advantage over Sac. Rich is WELL KNOWN within that industry/circles as a burgeoning food city, and yes, this includes ethnic (Liberian, Greek/Mediterranean, French, etc) as well as bakeries and sandwich shops. Richmond is also known for its farm-to-table culture, has a huge craft brewing scene, a huge wine scene, and yeah....you might wanna do some research if you think Richmond is lesser than Sacramento in food...

I had a much more detailed post earlier, but all of these things are easy to confirm. It isn't difficult to see that Sacramento really only outclasses Richmond in diversity and integration. Tell us one more time, lest we forget again...
My goodness, dude, now you're bringing in the entire East Coast. I though this was a Sac vs Richmond thread, not Northern California vs DC Metro.. An international airport tells a lot about a city's importance and significance. The fact remains Richmond does not have flights to the West Coast. Sacramentans don't have to travel to the Bay Area to head East because SMF offers nonstop to DC, Philly, Boston, NYC, Charlotte, and Atlanta. The growth of an airport in terms of passenger volume and destinations offered are indicative of a regions economy.

Please tell me why Richmond doesn't have flights to the West?

I much rather have a major league professional sports team, even though their lousy, than collegiate sports. But since you're bringing in college sports teams outside your metro, aside from Sac State and UC Davis, there's Cal and Stanford, both of which have a higher profile in academics and athletics than any university in Virginia. Sacramentans are deep rooted to Bay Area sports teams more than you realize.

Last edited by pistola916; 08-31-2015 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 01:16 PM

^^^dude, location is only spoken of as the amenity it is; Richmond's proximity to other East Coast locales gives it a better location than Sac...

Airport correlation to a city's importance is flawed:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

I mean really, Atlanta is the top city in the country? Denver, Charlotte, Vegas, and Phoenix are in the top 10 most important cities in the nation? Cut it out, man. Airports are not a signifier of a city's importance necessarily, certainly not in regards to Sac or Rich. Seriously, do you not understand that cities like Denver, Phoenix and Vegas have so much traffic is because of their location? There is a direct correlation between airport traffic and location, more so than to "importance"....

While 'you' prefer professional sports over college athletics, that isn't indicative of an entire population's preference, nor does it mean you have the better sports town. Leaving it in town, sports are still arguably better in Richmond. And clearly you were misinformed about the food culture in Richmond...

And there's still the great white elephants in the room, those categories we have yet to touch upon that Richmond is definitely stronger than Sacramento in. Sacramento is twice the size of Richmond and offers twice of nothing in terms of QOL and urban amenities. I love how you guys are quick to bash Richmond though---from the guy who stereotyped us as a racist Southern town, to the guy who clam "all" we offer is Southern food, to the guy who said sports are better in Sac. You guys should really research more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City