Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:52 PM

661 posts, read 691,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
well for starters: Los Angeles is VERY segregated. The east side is 97 percent Hispanic and the west side is white. SAn Fran is segregated also So let's not act like California is this haven. Back to original question.

I would choose Richmond. It is close to DC, close to the beach, and it's urban core is pretty similar to DC in my opinion. Sactown is pretty boring in my opinion and it's almost that of a cow town. So I think that Richmond beats out Sacramento in all categories, especially in history.

My only problem with Richmond would be racism. I'm not sure if it's a racist as everyone says, but if it's not then it is the winner hands down in my opinion.
For starters, we're comparing Richmond and Sac, not LA or SF. Sacramento is one of if not THE most integrated and diverse metro in the US.

I think this is a hard comparing these two because they are both lower tier cities on opposite ends of the country. Few people have been to both. I've lived in DC and loved everything except the weather, but haven't been Richmond. The reverse is true for East Coast people, you can't take your SF or LA experience and project it onto Sacramento.

One of my good friends has family that moved to Richmond when he was younger and the few times he's visited them he came back with very positive things to say about the city.

This could be a real good comparison. Both smaller, under the radar metros, river cities. Does Richmond have the same inferiority complex with DC that Sac tends to have with SF? What's the rail connection like to DC? The Capitol Corridor trains from Sac to the Bay Area run 15+ trains a day and take less than 2 hours.

CSU Sacramento is right within the city but VCU looks like it integrates much better with it's surroundings. Sac State can feel disconnected due to railroad track placement. UC Davis is right outside of Sac and has a great college town feel, quite similar to the Richmond - Charlottesville situation I'd imagine, although Sac to Davis is 15 mins tops while Richmond to Charlottesville is an hour.

Sacramento has a very stable employment base with the state government presence. Many people underestimate the size and quality of government jobs that come with being the administrative center for a 40 million person, 2 trillion dollar economy. But our kryptonite is a lack of F500, private sector jobs. Little to no corporate presence here.

The food and drink (alcohol and coffee) scene in Sac is off the hook though, how's Richmond's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 02:22 PM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
well for starters: Los Angeles is VERY segregated. The east side is 97 percent Hispanic and the west side is white. SAn Fran is segregated also So let's not act like California is this haven. Back to original question.

I would choose Richmond. It is close to DC, close to the beach, and it's urban core is pretty similar to DC in my opinion. Sactown is pretty boring in my opinion and it's almost that of a cow town. So I think that Richmond beats out Sacramento in all categories, especially in history.

My only problem with Richmond would be racism. I'm not sure if it's a racist as everyone says, but if it's not then it is the winner hands down in my opinion.
Richmond IS NOT racist and yes, Sacto is an overgrown Central Valley town. it's weird that the state capital of New York and the state capital of California are basically mid sized metro's with NONE of the glitz and glamour associated with the largest cities in those states.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 08-28-2015 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
For starters, we're comparing Richmond and Sac, not LA or SF. Sacramento is one of if not THE most integrated and diverse metro in the US.

I think this is a hard comparing these two because they are both lower tier cities on opposite ends of the country. Few people have been to both. I've lived in DC and loved everything except the weather, but haven't been Richmond. The reverse is true for East Coast people, you can't take your SF or LA experience and project it onto Sacramento.

One of my good friends has family that moved to Richmond when he was younger and the few times he's visited them he came back with very positive things to say about the city.

This could be a real good comparison. Both smaller, under the radar metros, river cities. Does Richmond have the same inferiority complex with DC that Sac tends to have with SF? What's the rail connection like to DC? The Capitol Corridor trains from Sac to the Bay Area run 15+ trains a day and take less than 2 hours.

CSU Sacramento is right within the city but VCU looks like it integrates much better with it's surroundings. Sac State can feel disconnected due to railroad track placement. UC Davis is right outside of Sac and has a great college town feel, quite similar to the Richmond - Charlottesville situation I'd imagine, although Sac to Davis is 15 mins tops while Richmond to Charlottesville is an hour.

Sacramento has a very stable employment base with the state government presence. Many people underestimate the size and quality of government jobs that come with being the administrative center for a 40 million person, 2 trillion dollar economy. But our kryptonite is a lack of F500, private sector jobs. Little to no corporate presence here.

The food and drink (alcohol and coffee) scene in Sac is off the hook though, how's Richmond's?
Stone Brewing of San Diego, a pioneer in the craft brew/restaurant arena, has chosen Richmond as it's East Coast beachhead with a brewery under construction on the James River. The food scene is on fire with neighborhood farm to table restaurants springing up all over the city. Richmond is in DC's shadow as Sacto is in San Francisco's shadow but Richmond is not suffering from being in the shadow, it's real and authentic and appeals to all those DC/NOVA transplants who are fatigued with the yuppie rat race. Sacramento does not provide the alternative to San Francisco that Richmond provides for DC, it's just a VERY large suburb.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:47 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Richmond packs a nice punch for its size when it comes to its corporate base, being home to six F500 headquarters. With state government in the mix, it gives the area a nicely well-rounded economy.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Stone Brewing of San Diego, a pioneer in the craft brew/restaurant arena, has chosen Richmond as it's East Coast beachhead with a brewery under construction on the James River. The food scene is on fire with neighborhood farm to table restaurants springing up all over the city. Richmond is in DC's shadow as Sacto is in San Francisco's shadow but Richmond is not suffering from being in the shadow, it's real and authentic and appeals to all those DC/NOVA transplants who are fatigued with the yuppie rat race. Sacramento does not provide the alternative to San Francisco that Richmond provides for DC, it's just a VERY large suburb.
Nice! Stone makes good stuff. There seems to be a lot of good West Coast breweries opening up East Coast locations in smaller, hipper areas like Asheville (and apparently Richmond). Interesting that you use the farm to table label, since Northern California was highly influential in the birth of that movement. We've had farm to table stuff here forever; we're surrounded by one of the world's best agricultural locations.

Inferiority complex aside, I think that Sacramento benefits from having the Bay close by. It's a great cultural and economic asset to have within day trip distance. You can live in Sac and apply for jobs in the Bay, go to concerts, sporting events, etc. In what way does Richmond provide an alternative to DC that Sac doesn't to SF?

How about the riverfront? It looks like Richmond made the same mistake with 195 that Sacramento did with Interstate 5, running it in between the river and downtown. Why isn't there a longer dedicated bikeway along the James though? Sacramento has 30+ miles of paved bike trails along the American, with thousands of acres of riverfront parks along the way.

Sacramento sits on the edge of the California Delta, the largest in the nation outside of the Mississippi. Sacramentans can boat all the way into the SF Bay through this delta. Pretty similar I'd imagine to the awesomeness of being able to head down the James into the Chesapeake.

This is a really good pairing, thanks OP.

PS: Large suburb, psshhh. Sac is denser than Richmond with over twice the population.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Nice! Stone makes good stuff. There seems to be a lot of good West Coast breweries opening up East Coast locations in smaller, hipper areas like Asheville (and apparently Richmond). Interesting that you use the farm to table label, since Northern California was highly influential in the birth of that movement. We've had farm to table stuff here forever; we're surrounded by one of the world's best agricultural locations.

Inferiority complex aside, I think that Sacramento benefits from having the Bay close by. It's a great cultural and economic asset to have within day trip distance. You can live in Sac and apply for jobs in the Bay, go to concerts, sporting events, etc. In what way does Richmond provide an alternative to DC that Sac doesn't to SF?

How about the riverfront? It looks like Richmond made the same mistake with 195 that Sacramento did with Interstate 5, running it in between the river and downtown. Why isn't there a longer dedicated bikeway along the James though? Sacramento has 30+ miles of paved bike trails along the American, with thousands of acres of riverfront parks along the way.

Sacramento sits on the edge of the California Delta, the largest in the nation outside of the Mississippi. Sacramentans can boat all the way into the SF Bay through this delta. Pretty similar I'd imagine to the awesomeness of being able to head down the James into the Chesapeake.
o Richmond
This is a really good pairing, thanks OP.

PS: Large suburb, psshhh. Sac is denser than Richmond with over twice the population.
Second paragraph....Richmond is a more valid alternative to DC because people are moving to Richmond from DC and creating an outpost if you will, people are not moving from SF to Sacto for the same reasons, it's just not happening.

Third paragraph....The Capital Bike/Pedestrian trail is completing its last links which will ultimately be close to 50 miles from Richmond to Williamsburg along the James River in time for the ICIC competition next month, the first time the US has hosted this event for the last 30 years. 95 does not occur between downtown Richmond and the James. Google Browns Island.

Fourth paragraph.....this is a REALLY good pairing OP.

Fifth paragraph, Sacto does not have the personality or the charm that Richmond has regardless of population.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Second paragraph....Richmond is a more valid alternative to DC because people are moving to Richmond from DC and creating an outpost if you will, people are not moving from SF to Sacto for the same reasons, it's just not happening.
What does that even mean? What do people move from SF to Sacramento for then and what don't they do that transplants to Richmond from DC do? You haven't really explained what the difference is.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
An outpost? Plenty of people move from the whole Bay Area to Sacramento. That's a huge portion of our population (and home price) gain.

Quote:
Third paragraph....The Capital Bike/Pedestrian trail is completing its last links which will ultimately be close to 50 miles from Richmond to Williamsburg along the James River in time for the ICIC competition next month, the first time the US has hosted this event for the last 30 years. 95 does not occur between downtown Richmond and the James. Google Browns Island.
The Virginia Capital Trail looks really cool, wasn't showing up on google maps for me so I didn't know it really existed. I was talking more about right along the river in the city. Heck, pull up google maps and turn on the biking overlay and check out the two cities. Pretty obvious which one has better bike infrastructure.

I was talking about 195 not 95. Browns Island does not equal downtown, right?

Quote:
Fifth paragraph, Sacto does not have the personality or the charm that Richmond has regardless of population.

I'm sure Richmond is charming.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:45 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Richmond is a lot more urban than people know, though. Richmond has some pretty high peak densities (over 15k ppsm). I don't know about Sac, but I'd imagine they're probably a lot closer to even than the overall density figures suggest, if we go on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis. Even not considering density, Richmond has loads of pedestrian traffic, shops and dives and other things that make a city urban, ESPECIALLY in the inner city--Downtown, Near West End, East End, southern North Side neighborhoods (Barton Heights, Ginter Park, etc). I'm not so sure that Sacramento has an edge in urbanity just because it's bigger. I wouldn't call Sac a "suburb" either, but I think an argument can be made that it feels more suburban in nature than Rich...

Old 08-28-2015, 06:02 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Quote:

Well if you actually saw what I was responding to you would realize that the poster said California cities as a whole are the most integrated in the country and I was just letting him know that his statement was a broad statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City