Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:38 AM

89 posts, read 115,651 times

Advertisements

Do any of you guys think that Stony Point Fashion Park would have flourished if strategically placed in downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 03:14 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
As far as race and integration is concerned, Sac is more diverse and more integrated, but Rich isn't wholly segregated, that's a lie. There is a sizable Hispanic population in Greater Richmond, but it's a different kind of Hispanic.
On the most to least segregated list of cities I believe Sacramento was listed at #46 and Richmond was listed at number #63 out of 100. So it would seem to suggest Richmond is less segregated (at least from the black-white standpoint).

Source: William H. Frey analysis of 1990, 2000, and 2010 Censuses

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a different kind of Hispanic. Explain please.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:57 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
OK, other than cost of living and slower pace the difference is that people move from DC to Richmond for the food, art, culture and history in a more serene setting. People don't move from the Bay Area to Sacto for the food, art, culture and history in a more serene setting....that's the diff.
The main driver for the Bay Area to Sacto movers is a house with a yard that won't bankrupt them.
There's an abundance of food, art, culture, festivals, diversity, Black influence, and history all in a larger urban setting in DC. Why would Eye need to relocate to Richmond for that? LOL. The lower COL and higher QOL (traffic congestion, crowded dense streets, and rat race) Eye can understand for us in the DC area opting to relocate to Richmond. Plus, there's a good amount of nature in the DC area as well. The City has Theodore Roosevelt Island, Kingman Island (yeah Rich isn't the only city with natural islands ya know), Rock Creek Park, Dumbarton Oaks, Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, Anacostia Watershed, etc. Additionally you have the Capital Crescent Trail, Oxon Hill Run, Great Falls, and oh so much more for your recreational needs be it nature trails, biking (DC is a very bike-friendly city), fishing, kayaking, jogging, running, sunbath, etc. Despite DC having a larger urban core/footprint and is geared more towards City Life overall than Richmond, it too has its fair share of access to Mother Nature. And of course, there's the National Mall for recreational use as well such as playing soccer or kickball, playing frisbee, playing softball, flying a kite, etc., etc. I'm definitely not saying Rich isn't a fun and cool city but let's not get carried away here now. Eye can also relocate to Philly for COL concerns as well even though it's QOL may not be as good as Richmond's but it'll still be a more fun city to live in either way. Btw, Eye voted for Rich in this poll.

Last edited by tcave360; 08-30-2015 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 04:00 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I can't speak to those things, but DC is just a different city than Richmond. I'd imagine people would move to Richmond to get away from the DC thing, but I'm not sure how many people who like Richmond would move to DC.

It's alright for a visit, but I wouldn't live there. Not because it isn't a nice place, but because it just appeals to me less so than other places with a better price tag.
There actually is a good number of Richmonders living in DC and some of the 'burbs. Eye also have Richmonders in my family as well including my grandmother (RIP).

Old 08-30-2015, 04:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
LoL google most integrated city in America and see how many times Sac shows up, versus Richmond.

This thread pretty much proves how Southerners are.

One minute they are claiming blacks are an after-thought in CA. Then the next minute they are bragging about their antebellum era charm. Good grief, you know Sacramento has a black mayor right? You do know Sac city and county will probably be the most % chocolate area in the entire west coast in the next census right?

They claim Sac is more suburban, when it is more dense, with better public transit!

One minute they are lambasting Sac for being in the central valley (the most fertile and productive farm land in the USA), the next minute they are claiming they have better FOOD than Sac? Given Sac's location and diversity, I really am not sure I buy that.

Richmond is not a bad area, but Sacramento is obviously in a higher weight class of cities. Richmond had a murder rate more than twice as high as Sac in 2013 and often has more murders every year, despite being half the size of Sac.

The southern boosters seem big on pride, short on facts.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:12 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Why in the world are you talking about "Southern boosters" here when we're talking about Richmond specifically? Apparently you think the South is a monolithic region wherein every city is the same. Leave regions out of it and focus on the cities themselves. If I were to judge all West Coast/California people based on the statements and views of a few, then I'd have little to no respect for the region.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:28 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Actually, you are the one with shortsighted vision here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

According to this, it is Richmond that is in a higher weight class than Sacramento. While GaWC isn't gospel,it is reputable and they publish the largest, most extensive city rankings of any entity that profiles city rankings....

Face it, your antebellum image of Richmond is not based off of any factual knowledge you have of the city or Virginia. The fact is, though, while I have no doubt Sacramento can be a wonderful place to live for many (I was born there and still have much family there), it does kinda underwhelm given its size. Cities that are generally the same size, like Portland/Orlando/Las Vegas/Charlotte/Pittsburgh, are typically much more dynamic, influential, and important than Sacramento. Hell, cities that are smaller than Sac (Cleveland/Cincinnati/Columbus/Raleigh/Nashville) seem to be stronger overall. And one thing that ABSOLUTELY CANNOT be said about Richmond is that it "under"whelms for its size....

So you might want to reconsider this fantasy you have of Sacramento being in some higher realm than Richmond....and everybody knows Sac has a black mayor---he's a quasi-celebrity (ex-NBA) and a city native. This doesn't substantiate your insinuation that Sacramento is better for blacks. Nowhere in California is, but Sacramento certainly wouldn't be at the top of the list...

@port, all I meant was that about half of Latinos in Richmond are Puerto Rican descended. That culture is very different from Mexican and California Mexican culture...

@cave, I don't think @poquoson intended for his statement to be read as Rich is better than DC, because we all know that ain't true. You're right for calling out this poster though; plenty of people from Rich live in DC area, and plenty people from DC live in Greater Richmond. As I'm a native of both metros, I personally have known many people from both, in both. This guy clearly is speaking out of ignorance...

Old 08-30-2015, 05:53 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:

According to this, it is Richmond that is in a higher weight class than Sacramento. While GaWC isn't gospel,it is reputable and they publish the largest, most extensive city rankings of any entity that profiles city rankings....

Face it, your antebellum image of Richmond is not based off of any factual knowledge you have of the city or Virginia. The fact is, though, while I have no doubt Sacramento can be a wonderful place to live for many (I was born there and still have much family there), it does kinda underwhelm given its size. Cities that are generally the same size, like Portland/Orlando/Las Vegas/Charlotte/Pittsburgh, are typically much more dynamic, influential, and important than Sacramento. Hell, cities that are smaller than Sac (Cleveland/Cincinnati/Columbus/Raleigh/Nashville) seem to be stronger overall. And one thing that ABSOLUTELY CANNOT be said about Richmond is that it "under"whelms for its size....

So you might want to reconsider this fantasy you have of Sacramento being in some higher realm than Richmond....and everybody knows Sac has a black mayor---he's a quasi-celebrity (ex-NBA) and a city native. This doesn't substantiate your insinuation that Sacramento is better for blacks. Nowhere in California is, but Sacramento certainly wouldn't be at the top of the list...

@port, all I meant was that about half of Latinos in Richmond are Puerto Rican descended. That culture is very different from Mexican and California Mexican culture...

@cave, I don't think @poquoson intended for his statement to be read as Rich is better than DC, because we all know that ain't true. You're right for calling out this poster though; plenty of people from Rich live in DC area, and plenty people from DC live in Greater Richmond. As I'm a native of both metros, I personally have known many people from both, in both. This guy clearly is speaking out of ignorance...
Try visiting a library. Sac metro has a LARGER GDP than the Richmond metro, as well as many of the metros you have listed (Vegas, Raleigh, Nashville, Las Vegas). This is what I mean about you guys being short on facts.

The total value of goods and services procured in the Sac metro blows Richmond metro out of the water by tens of millions of dollars. The gap between Pittsburgh metro and Sac metro in GDP is smaller than the gap between Sac and Richmond. Again, facts.

If Sacramento is not good for blacks, why is the black population growing? If Richmond is so much better for blacks, why is the % of black population decreasing in Richmond County/City? And why are so many segregated there. Why is the crime rate so high there, and why are there more black murder vicitims there? Again, facts.

Like I said, facts do not matter to boosters such as yourself.

Don't get me wrong, we get that Sac is often bagged on by more prominent coastal CA metros, which causes people from metros like yours to be emboldend with attacks. But here's a news flash. You ain't LA or SF.

And believe me, I have no bone in this fight. I'm an El Segundo native, living in Santa Cruz. But I lived and worked in Sac for several years, which is longer than the two years you spent in Sac as a young child (according to your profile). So you are not as much of an expert on Sac as you fancy yourself to be. Next time address my questions with factual data, please.

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 08-30-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 06:21 PM

489 posts, read 911,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

This thread pretty much proves how Southerners are.
Just stop

Old 08-30-2015, 07:24 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Quote:

Purely arbitrary and subjective. No one can say New Orleans, Memphis, Las Vegas, Nashville, San Antonio and even Sacramento are less important and significant than Richmond. If people want to claim Richmond is far more notable than any of those cities then they are delusional.

The only appeal I will give Richmond over Sacramento is architecture and cost of living.

Last edited by pistola916; 08-30-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City