U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfax, VA vs. South Bend, IN
Fairfax, VA 11 84.62%
South Bend, IN 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,096 times

Advertisements

Crime
Cost of Living
Vibe
etc

DH has teaching positions open to him at universities in the two cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:51 PM

5,815 posts, read 6,362,869 times
Notre Dame > George Mason

That said, I would choose Fairfax over South Bend. I couldn't live in a tiny college town like SB. Fairfax, although very suburban in nature, has a nice downtown and is very close to the Vienna metro station.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,838,814 times
Fairfax is suburban DC, so this is a bit unfair to South Bend.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,096 times
Any more input would be welcome

Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 PM

86 posts, read 80,561 times
Fairfax by a long shot!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 AM

29,629 posts, read 65,711,627 times
I'm going to go against conventional logic here and say South Bend, presuming compensation packages at both employers (presumably Notre Dame vs. George Mason University) would be similar. Why? The cost-of-living in Fairfax is dramatically higher than it is in South Bend. Would your rather be struggling on $70,000/year in Fairfax or living large on $70,000/year in South Bend? I used to live in Reston, which is just north of Fairfax, and although I was earning a $50,000 salary, which most in the U.S. would consider to be decent money, I was drowning financially because of the high cost-of-living.

Basically this comes down to a question of "Do I want to be a big fish in a little pond (South Bend)" OR "Do I want to be a medium-sized fish in a huge pond (Fairfax)"? Have you priced comparable housing in both cities? You may be able to comfortably afford a large detached single-family home in South Bend on your husband's salary there whereas that same price tag will get you a smaller starter townhouse in Fairfax County.

Yes, DC is a great city, but, as I learned, Northern Virginia is only a nice place to live IF you bring home the bacon. It was no fun living there where I had to obsess over my budget on a daily basis. I've since taken a pay cut to move to Pittsburgh, PA, yet I live more comfortably because the lower cost-of-living means I have less financial anxieties.

Want my honest opinion?

If salaries will be comparable move to South Bend, live inexpensively, and bankroll your retirement accounts like crazy. THEN when it's time to retire you can consider moving to a more expensive area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or