Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:47 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,101,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Compared to Tampa and Orlando??? lmao.

I've seen more people from the Midwest in Birmingham and Memphis than I did in Tampa and Orlando (Which basically has a Little San Juan). I'm not saying Birmingham or Memphis are Midwestern cities because they're not, but compared to Central Florida? It's laughable. It's a reason why Birmingham was called Pittsburgh of the South; and Memphis has people who go back and forth from the Midwest constantly.

I spent a month in Tampa, I honestly don't see how the locals have anything in common with the Midwest, nor do I get a feel of it being anything like the Midwest. Seems like people in CF are worse than people in Palm Beach lmao.
??? Tampa is full to the brim with Midwestern transplants. Probably a fourth to a third of the people there have roots in the Midwest.

Orlando skews more to the northeast. I met plenty of people in Orlando from Ohio, kansas, Michigan, Indiana, etc, but was definitelty more likely to meet someone from New Jersey, New York, or Pennsyvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 09:17 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,309,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
??? Tampa is full to the brim with Midwestern transplants. Probably a fourth to a third of the people there have roots in the Midwest.

Orlando skews more to the northeast. I met plenty of people in Orlando from Ohio, kansas, Michigan, Indiana, etc, but was definitelty more likely to meet someone from New Jersey, New York, or Pennsyvania.
What? where did you get that stat that a fourth or a third of the people in tampa have roots in the midwest? Thats absurd.

The only large groups like that in tampa and orlando are hispanics, those stats are ridiculous.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-area-csa.html

Old 11-15-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
What? where did you get that stat that a fourth or a third of the people in tampa have roots in the midwest? Thats absurd.

The only large groups like that in tampa and orlando are hispanics, those stats are ridiculous.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-area-csa.html
According to that list, which I am guessing comes from the American Community Survey, Tampa currently has 400,000 transplants from the Midwest. That number doesn't include the hundreds of thousands born in Tampa or other parts of Florida to Midwestern parents. For a metro of 2.8 million that comes out to be just about one fourth of the population.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
According to that list, which I am guessing comes from the American Community Survey, Tampa currently has 400,000 transplants from the Midwest. That number doesn't include the hundreds of thousands born in Tampa or other parts of Florida to Midwestern parents. For a metro of 2.8 million that comes out to be just about one fourth of the population.
What? 400,000 midwesterners into tampa, st pete csa is no where near 1/4 or a 1/3 of 2.8 million

You could look athe numbers for the southerner and northeastern migration into the csa, there were over 300,000 people from southerner states who moved into tampa, and they didnt even include virginia and alot of southern states in these numbers and no native born floridians in that 300,00 figure . There were over 488,000 northeasterners .

Neither the southern or northeastern migration would be 1/3 or 1/4 of the tampa/st pete csa either.

I see very little midwestern culture in tampa but I may be wrong, I havent been around alot of the city and it is a incredible diverse city. where is it? certain midwestern style restaurants, certain bars,certain areas?

these are place of birth numbers for st pete

Place of birth for U.S.-born residents:
This state: 89,329
Northeast: 50,538
Midwest: 39,125
South: 36,260
West: 6,064
51% of St. Petersburg residents lived in the same house 5 years ago.
Out of people who lived in different houses, 63% lived in this county.
Out of people who lived in different counties, 36% lived in Florida.

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz3rboSoQJ4

Old 11-16-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
What? 400,000 midwesterners into tampa, st pete csa is no where near 1/4 or a 1/3 of 2.8 million

You could look athe numbers for the southerner and northeastern migration into the csa, there were over 300,000 people from southerner states who moved into tampa, and they didnt even include virginia and alot of southern states in these numbers and no native born floridians in that 300,00 figure . There were over 488,000 northeasterners .

Neither the southern or northeastern migration would be 1/3 or 1/4 of the tampa/st pete csa either.

I see very little midwestern culture in tampa but I may be wrong, I havent been around alot of the city and it is a incredible diverse city. where is it? certain midwestern style restaurants, certain bars,certain areas?

these are place of birth numbers for st pete

Place of birth for U.S.-born residents:
This state: 89,329
Northeast: 50,538
Midwest: 39,125
South: 36,260
West: 6,064
51% of St. Petersburg residents lived in the same house 5 years ago.
Out of people who lived in different houses, 63% lived in this county.
Out of people who lived in different counties, 36% lived in Florida.

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz3rboSoQJ4
Again, the 400,000 doesn't include the children of Midwestern transplants or the grandchildren of Midwestern transplants. So in actuality many, many more than 400,000 in the Tampa metro have roots in the Midwest.

And how do you know Virgina wasn't included in the Southern stats? And where are these statistics coming from? You linked someone else's post and there is no telling if this stuff is even valid or not.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Again, the 400,000 doesn't include the children of Midwestern transplants or the grandchildren of Midwestern transplants. So in actuality many, many more than 400,000 in the Tampa metro have roots in the Midwest.

And how do you know Virgina wasn't included in the Southern stats? And where are these statistics coming from? You linked someone else's post and there is no telling if this stuff is even valid or not.
He compiled them from the american community survey and this census data and he said he didn't list virginia and maryland west virginia and dc in the southerns stats .You can go year by year on here on state and city migration stats and look at florida.

If you look at just the state to state patterns and usually New york and Georgia have almost twice as many people migrating into Florida as any other state. New York and Georgia always dominate the stats for people feeding into Florida

In 2014

New York migration- Florida had 58,753 residents who had lived in New york the previous year

Georgia migration- Florida had 42,020 residents who had lived in Georgia the previous year

New York - Florida had 53,009 residents who had lived in New york the previous year

Georgi migration- Florida had 42,574 residents who had lived in Georgia the previous year

No other state came close to these two

https://www.census.gov/hhes/migratio...-to-state.html

https://www.census.gov/hhes/migration/data/acs.html

Old 11-16-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
He compiled them from the american community survey and this census data and he said he didn't list virginia and maryland west virginia and dc in the southerns stats .You can go year by year on here on state and city migration stats and look at florida.

If you look at just the state to state patterns and usually New york and Georgia have almost twice as many people migrating into Florida as any other state. New York and Georgia always dominate the stats for people feeding into Florida

In 2014

New York migration- Florida had 58,753 residents who had lived in New york the previous year

Georgia migration- Florida had 42,020 residents who had lived in Georgia the previous year

New York - Florida had 53,009 residents who had lived in New york the previous year

Georgi migration- Florida had 42,574 residents who had lived in Georgia the previous year

No other state came close to these two

The georgia stats are most definitely native Floridians who moved to GA and then moved back. I for instance, lived in Georgia twice, and moved back to Florida twice.

Georgia not a leading sender to Florida by a long shot. I never meet people from GA in Florida.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
The georgia stats are most definitely native Floridians who moved to GA and then moved back. I for instance, lived in Georgia twice, and moved back to Florida twice.

Georgia not a leading sender to Florida by a long shot. I never meet people from GA in Florida.
That is crazy, if you have lived in florida for all of twenty something years you obviously havent been around Florida much and know absolutely nothing about floridas history if you dont see the huge Georgia/Florida connections. Georgia has always been the leading feeder state into Florida , but since the 1960s and 1970s, New york has become the leader by around 10,000-15,000 but no other state comes close to Georgia and New York. Georgia and Florida have always had very strong connections from the beginning of Florida.

Georgia alone last year sent more people into Florida than alot of the midwest ( Minnesota,Indiana,Kansas,Iowa,Nebraska and Wisconsin) combined

Just look at the stats

Old 11-16-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
That is crazy, if you have lived in florida for all of twenty something years you obviously havent been around Florida much and know absolutely nothing about floridas history if you dont see the huge Georgia/Florida connections. Georgia has always been the leading feeder state into Florida , but since the 1960s and 1970s, New york has become the leader by around 10,000-15,000 but no other state comes close to Georgia and New York. Georgia and Florida have always had very strong connections from the beginning of Florida.

Georgia alone last year sent more people into Florida than alot of the midwest ( Minnesota,Indiana,Kansas,Iowa,Nebraska and Wisconsin) combined

Just look at the stats

I love how someone who lives in Maryland and just had a few trips to Jacksonville wants to tell me what my home state is. Lmao.

The extent of the Florida, Georgia connection is that Floridians move there and then move back. Your stats are only tracing movements over a one year time frame, and all they are finding are people who moved to GA from FL, didn't like it, and moved back.

You early don't know what you are talking about. Yet you think you are informing someone who has lived all over this state of who moves here and from where? I think you should stick to talking about your home state and where you have lived most of your life, Maryland, because it is you who clearly knows nothing of Florida.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:42 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,518,596 times
Quote:
I love how someone who lives in Maryland and just had a few trips to Jacksonville wants to tell me what my home state is. Lmao.

The extent of the Florida, Georgia connection is that Floridians move there and then move back. Your stats are only tracing movements over a one year time frame, and all they are finding are people who moved to GA from FL, didn't like it, and moved back.

You early don't know what you are talking about. Yet you think you are informing someone who has lived all over this state of who moves here and from where? I think you should stick to talking about your home state and where you have lived most of your life, Maryland, because it is you who clearly knows nothing of Florida.
But haven't you done the same thing with Atlanta? You lived there for a short period of time and then tried to act like an expert about who all was moving there and where they came from, even going as far as starting a thread about it in the Atlanta forum where you were corrected...and now you're mad because someone is doing the same thing with respect to Florida, and actually has stats to back it up. How ironic is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City