Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:25 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Florida is its own culture. The mind sets of the people are much more in tune with the north. It is a very socially progressive state.

I never said it was similar to the Midwest. But the people are more similar to
Midwesterners than they are to Southerners. But again, florida is its own thing.

And I have lived in many places around the country, thank you. And I plan on living in many more places.

And you discrediting everything you disagree with as being "liberal" is just a joke. Lmao. Can you really take someone like that seriously, people?
I don't know why you keep trying to prove this argument. Florida is a Southern state with heavy Northern influence. Or do Tallahassee, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Okeechobee, and Central Florida not exist to you? It is not more similar to the Midwest than the South. A very socially progressive state would Washington or Colorado. If it's socially progressive, then so is Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 08:21 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I don't know why you keep trying to prove this argument. Florida is a Southern state with heavy Northern influence. Or do Tallahassee, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Okeechobee, and Central Florida not exist to you? It is not more similar to the Midwest than the South. A very socially progressive state would Washington or Colorado. If it's socially progressive, then so is Texas.
I lived in central Florida for nearly a decade, and 80% of everyone I met was from the north. I, like most floridians, have never lived in northern Florida.

And florida FAR more socially liberal than any of the Southern states. Could you imagine a South Beach or Key West existing in Alabama??

One of the most annoying things about living in Atlanta as a gay man were all men there who werent out to their parents (I mean, seriously, your 40, sucessfull, and have never had a girlfriend. What could your parents possibly think), or if they were they couldn't talk about it or introduce a partner. That type of thing is RARE is Florida. Unlike the rest of the South, Florida is one of the least religious states, and is not burdoned by the constrictions of religion that get placed on people's lives in other Southern states. And we can thank northern transplants for that.

And texas, outside of its cities, is Gods country. Holy hell I could never live in small city/rural Texas. Way too much conservativism there.

Flirida is fiscally conservative, yes, but it is a very live and let live state.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:36 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Culturally all of Maryland is northeastern. that is absurd. Have you ever even been to maryland?

Have you ever heard all of the dialects in maryland?

Even alot of southern states went for obama because of romney and mccains bad campaigns, but there is a enormous divide between most of rural and small town maryland and the dc suburbs and baltimore city politically

I will agree maryland does have the kind of high tax high cost of living and bad government you see up in the northeast. This is a thread called "which southern metro will be the next new new south metro"? If everything is so wonderful in the Northeast and the rust belt and blue america, why is so much of the country leaving the rust belt, the northeast, and and moving south ?

wikiemdia commons photos

You clearly didn't read my sentence. I said all of Maryland is culturally Northeastern except for Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore. Clearly you decide to ignore linguistics maps. You're officially a waste of my time and energy.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:08 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
The Census Bureau isn't the final word. Sorry. Maryland is culturally politically and linguistically more like the Northeast than the South. West Virginia however I a.
Agree is the South. Delaware is the same thing as Maryland.

I honestly don't care, all I'm saying is people argue about this topic all the time and it's pointless. If somebody mentions a place just assume they're basing it off the census or geography, then just post what you think is more appropriate this way threads don't get hijacked by back in forth arguments.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:30 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
its funny how that is your go to response whenever someone says something about Atlanta that you don't like.

The conservatism in Atlanta is testimony to its true southern character. And I had the unfortunate experience of it not just once, but twice.
Atlanta proper is hardly conservative. Smh...

And why was it annoying to you that some people weren't out to their parents? How is that any of your concern in the first place? At most, you may not understand it but unless you were dating someone long-term for who that was true (and I doubt that, given all the insults you've slung around about Atlantans in general), it's irrelevant.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:18 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
When did orlando join Atlanta? Orlando is not the "real south". Orlando is more Midwestern than anything else. There is no south in Orlando like there is in Atlanta, they don't belong in the same category.
Orlando is soooo Midwestern with all of the cows and cornfields nearby, and all the snow they get

Old 02-29-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lol. I lived in the Midwest and Florida. There is nothing remotely similar in feel, architecture, attitudes, etc. in Florida that is Midwestern. Just because a bunch of Midwestern people moved to Florida doesn't make it Midwestern. Orlando Midwestern? My sides are hurting.
If anything Texas, particularly the northern half, feels more Midwestern. Accents aside, cities like Dallas, Fort Worth, Abilene, Lubbock or Amarillo can pass for Midwestern. Hell, people from the lower Midwest have an accent that can be described as "southern lite." The scenery in northern Texas is similar to southern Kansas and Missouri, the climate, especially tornadoes, the agriculture.

Same can't be said for Orlando, which is a tourist town with palm trees. It is famous for theme parks. What Midwestern city is Orlando similar to, Sandusky, Ohio?

Old 02-29-2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
You know as well as I do that the numbers for Florida and Georgia are high because of the people that move back and forth between the states for temporary reasons. I know dozens of Floridians who moved to Atlanta for something different and move back after a year or two for a number of reasons. And I'm sure there are numerous Georgians who do the same thing. i just havent met many. If Georgians are moving to Florida then they sure aren't movibg to S. Florida, Tampa, or Orlando, because you rarely meet them.
You do realise that a huge portion of the black population in FL has roots in GA right? This is very well known fact. The kinship is extremely strong, and I know lots of black Floridians who are originally from Georgia, including one of my closest friends.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:18 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Huntsville, Jacksonville, Louisville

Old 03-03-2016, 05:39 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,726,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummm, the phrase "New South" was coined by Henry Grady of Atlanta in the 1880's to describe a postbellum, more industrial South less dependent on agriculture.

Henry Grady Sells the "New South"
Very factual but it may have been Henry Watterson of Louisville KY that coined the phrase The New South.

The University Press of Kentucky - About the Book

Henry Watterson and Henry Grady were very close friends actually. I do think Louisville should be included on this list, it definitely seems to have alot of buzz right now and it is kind of cool to connect it to its historic role as a premier New South city in the late 19th Century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City