U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Macon, Georgia 14 36.84%
Gainesville, Florida 24 63.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:55 PM

13,099 posts, read 15,906,284 times

Advertisements

I see this an older thread that's been bumped, but since I missed it the first time I'll comment.

I have several very good friends who went to UF and are big Gator fans. My first visit to Gainesville came when I was a student at UGA way back when. It was a lot of fun and we went to some good parties. I've been back to Gainesville a handful of times as an adult.

With respect to my friends, and recognizing that the University of Florida is an outstanding school, the city of Gainesville still ranks pretty low as far as college towns go in my opinion. It is a far cry from Athens, something which even my UF friends readily admit. It's just very blah -- mostly suburban and sprawling and not very scenic. My observation has been that most of the UF student body attends class in swimwear and flip-flops much of the year, which always made me think of Gainesville as a typical Florida beach town without the beach.

Macon is far more scenic IMO and has some terrific architecture downtown as well as on College Hill. Mercer University is an outstanding school in it's all right, and is responsible for much of the Renaissance that Macon is currently experiencing. But it obviously cannot compare to UF. Maybe one day.

I think a fairer comparison would be Macon and Ocala, which has a larger and more traditional downtown than Gainesville as well as many old historic homes. Ocala is probably the most "southern" city left in Florida. And of course, Ocalla is not dominated by the state's flagship university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 03:21 AM

178 posts, read 404,544 times
Georgia and Florida are such different animals. Is Macon really comparable to either of these cities? Macon's city proper is larger but Ocala's metro is larger. Macon's CSA is nearly 420,000 though. Does Ocala have a CSA? I'm looking at Paddock Mall in Ocala on google. This looks like it might be even smaller than Macon Mall. Is there anything like the Shoppes at River Crossing in Ocala or Gainesville?

Do they have a history as rich as Macon or comparable historic districts? I know Gainesville has UF, but outside of that how does it compare? Would you say Macon has more urban bones?

I dunno, I just always thought Macon was a slight notch up from places like those and maybe more comparable to Pensacola or Tallahassee? Perhaps somewhere in between those places and Ocala or Gainesville?

Ocala and Gainesville metro's combined is around 600,000 people though, so for all I know maybe the area as a whole has more shopping and thing of that nature than all of those places? Interesting. As I said Florida is another animal. I always looked at those places kinda like an Albany, GA or Valdosta, GA but clearly those places are far less populated at least including the immediate metro areas.

Last edited by brentyoung12; 01-20-2016 at 03:37 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 03:47 PM

102 posts, read 174,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Shopping: I'm gonna venture a guess that Macon has more, simply because it is quite a bit bigger.
Macon is not bigger than Gainesville.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:48 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,817,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
Macon is not bigger than Gainesville.
If we include Warner Robins it is. Macon MSA should include more than it does.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:30 AM

102 posts, read 174,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
If we include Warner Robins it is. Macon MSA should include more than it does.
Macon-Warner Robins MSA - 230K+
Gainesville MSA - 273K+

Last edited by dgreen; 02-20-2016 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 03:54 AM

13,099 posts, read 15,906,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
Macon-Warner Robins MSA - 230K+
Gainesville MSA - 273K+
Macon and Warner Robins are separate MSAs (stupidly since it's only 18 miles from downtown to downtown).

MACON MSA: 230,450
WARNER ROBINS MSA: 187,516
MACON-WR CSA: 417,966

Further, the two principle counties of the Macon-Warner Robins CSA (Bibb and Houston) have a combined population of 303,016 in an area of 626 square miles -- for a population density of 484 ppsm.

With 875 square miles, Alachua County is nearly 1/4 larger in area than Bibb and Houston counties COMBINED -- with just 256,380 people or 292 ppsm.

So yes ... Macon-Warner Robins are not just bigger, but more urban. And the confluence of 2 major interstates, 75 and 16, along with the 475 bypass, makes it feel even busier IMO.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:05 PM

1,034 posts, read 980,395 times
I am not as familiar with macon but I do drive through it on I-75 everytme I go to Southern Ga where my family lives. Okay Gainesville has amazing night life if you are college age. They have plenty of hot tanned girls and (guys)!!! but during the days the traffic is awful and I just don't like the weather from May to late September it's hotter than a MF,er! oh the humidity. Not that Macon is not hot either but it's a tad farther north and higher in elevation. It 's also has a nice downtown but it's not as happening has Gainesville simply because of the college there. all of this is just my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or