Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:07 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times

Advertisements

My suspicion is probably

1. New York

Then maybe DC? Although Seattle and LA would be up there too, LA might not be as high up in % growth but is probably close to those two in absolute growth.

Austin and Denver have gotten a fair bit of attention recently too, and Boston and the Bay Area are still infilling at a decent pace compared to most American cities, despite the NIMBYism. Miami seems to be starting to recover from the housing crash and is building condos again. Portland seems to be continuing to grow at a decent pace too.

Atlanta and Houston might be better known for their sprawl, but I think the infill numbers there are pretty significant, with many large apartment buildings being built in Atlanta, and continuing townhouse and apartment infill in Houston especially in the West Loop/Uptown area. My estimate was for somewhere in the neighbourhood of 6-10k pop growth in the cores of each Houston and Atlanta. There's been articles about how over 50% of rental housing in Atlanta has been in "walkable urban housing" but what about owner occupied homes, how many of those are still being built and where?

Chicago I'm sure is experiencing a fair bit of infill, but will it be enough to counter the effects of urban decay and declining household sizes in other parts of the city?

Newgeography looked at growth within the 2000 urban area footprint (up to 2007):
Special Report: Infill in US Urban Areas | Newgeography.com

Most of the top ranking cities were sunbelt boomtowns, however I think the boundaries were too loose. You probably had a lot of leap frog development that meant you had large vacant land parcels surrounded by 80s/90s development near the periphery that were included in the 2000 urban area boundaries. Then post-2000 those parcels got developed. I wouldn't really call that infill though.

I've provided alternative definitions of urban cores

Based on 1960 densities
SW Ontario Urbanist: US MSAs urban vs suburban growth (2000-2010) - Part 3

And based on 1960 densities + 2000 densities and mode share
SW Ontario Urbanist: USA MSAs urban vs suburban growth (2000-2010) - Part 6

And a lot of the sunbelt boomtowns turn out to not have grown nearly as much as newgeography suggests. Riverside-San Bernardino seems like it still experienced a fair bit of core growth (Miami and LA too, but they're much less sprawled than the rest of the sunbelt). However, the cores of Atlanta, Phoenix, Vegas, Houston, Dallas, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Sacramento, Nashville lost population using either one or both of my definitions.

As I mentioned, some of those seem to have changed direction like Atlanta and Houston, but I don't really know about the others.

Also some of these might be experiencing more small scale infill, or infill of inner suburbs, which doesn't get as much attention as the big downtown projects but still counts for something imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 12:37 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Atlanta is experiencing the largest residential infill boom in its history right now, and it is speeding up. It's mostly centered on Midtown, Buckhead and the Eastside neighborhoods along the BeltLine but it is spreading to neighborhoods all over town.

This is a recently updated report on just Midtown:

Development Tour

Old 08-27-2015, 01:35 AM

213 posts, read 278,316 times
Check out this map of Seattle development right now (zoom out a couple times and then pan up slightly):

Shaping Seattle: Buildings - Seattle Department of Planning and Development (DPD)

Old 08-27-2015, 07:51 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Raleigh is experiencing a significant boom in downtown housing with dozens of urban mulit-family projects delivered or in process since 2010. It seems that every month that there's a new multifamily project announced for downtown. Similarly, there's a significant midtown development happening that is clustered around the site of a former mall three miles north of the city center. This is a significant departure from the development pattern that drove Raleigh's growth in the previous 4 decades. Most of Raleigh's growth had been driven by new development on its edges with new communities annexed into its limits. That pattern has reversed as Raleigh's ability to spread is hampered by its neighboring municipalities and new laws at the state level that make it harder for cities to annex property without the consent of those affected. Despite these new rules, the city continues to grow in population: adding 36,000 new residents in the first four years of the decade. This is a welcomed change since the Raleigh metro is one of the most sprawled metros in the country due to the fact that its significant growth happened during the time period when the suburban model was the de facto model for the majority of development in the country, the land was cheap and water is plentiful. The density metric which trended downward for decades has reversed and has trended upward over the last decade.
While what's happening in Raleigh doesn't hold a candle to what's happening in Miami (my other home), it is arguably more significant because it represents a cultural and developmental shift that departs from its past.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:11 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Denver. Lots of parking lots, former rail yards, and vacant land surrounding downtown being filled in with midrise residential. Especially around the Union Station/LoDo area/Highlands area. Many areas of the city are being rezoned for higher density. New rail transit lines are adding to the development boom.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-27-2015 at 08:44 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 10:53 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
Check out this map of Seattle development right now (zoom out a couple times and then pan up slightly):

Shaping Seattle: Buildings - Seattle Department of Planning and Development (DPD)
Great site, lots of info and definitely showing a quickly developing city core. I wish my city had a website available like that.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
Denver seems to be putting up multi-family infill like crazy these days. On an absolute basis? New York. That city is just in constant motion and the past five years have been good for it, despite coming right after a finance-led recession.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:49 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Denver seems to be putting up multi-family infill like crazy these days. On an absolute basis? New York. That city is just in constant motion and the past five years have been good for it, despite coming right after a finance-led recession.
Yeah, NYC is on fire on an aggregate basis. But, in percentage terms I think it would actually be pretty middle of the pack, maybe on per capita par with Boston. Solid growth, but not out and out massive boom. NYC is just so huge, it is hard to move the needle. Recenrtly, there was a reprot that Brooklyn was poised to add 20,000 new units in the next couple of years. It was then pointed out that is only a two growth in the borough's housing capacity. Of course, since it is happening in such a confined already developed area it appears massive in person.

Among MSAs over 2+mill, I would think DC, Sea, and Miami would be the strongest on a per capita basis. Dallas and Houston are seeing lots of infill/core growth, but it isn't quite as urban as DC or Seattle. Denver is also in filling rapidly.

Really pretty much every city outside of a few in the rust belt is seeing infill development/net core growth these days.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:22 AM

89 posts, read 115,651 times
View Richmond's Development plan for projects that have come online just since 2014 - present. (Not to mention dozens of others pre-2014.

http://www.venturerichmond.com/pdfs/...tGuide_v12.pdf

Old 08-28-2015, 09:52 AM

495 posts, read 778,450 times
Quite a bit infill going on in Kansas City. This thread doesn't include the recent announcement of a new Hyatt Convention Hotel to break ground early 2016 and a second apartment tower also to break ground next year...

2015 what's under construction in Kansas City, Missouri thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City