Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:25 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times

Advertisements

In all these debates, cities of similar size are always compared, but how does one figure out what size of city they want to live in? To me they kind of seemed grouped into classes: below 1 million, 1-3 million, 3-5 million, and >5million.

Why would one choose larger over smaller or vice versa? I get the amenities thing (NYC is likelier to have whatever of the thing you were looking for and the worlds biggest ___ ), and I get the traffic thing (the bigger the city, the greater the traffic), but is that it?

Is the chance of finding a job generally better in bigger cities given equal unemployment rates? Is COL greater the bigger the city is? Does it have to do with density desired?

Also which size do you prefer and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 01:32 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
My girlfriend always tells me that it's not the size that matters, but how you use it thatmatters.

In other words, it depends on the city and the qualities it has.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:15 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
My girlfriend always tells me that it's not the size that matters, but how you use it thatmatters.

I don't know if I would share so readily that tidbit of pillow talk conversation if my girlfriend was always telling me that haha.

Last edited by T. Damon; 08-28-2015 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 09:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets eat candy View Post
my girlfriend always tells me that it's not the size that matters, but how you use it thatmatters.

hahahahahahahaa

Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
While I agree that most cities of a certain size offer a similar level amenities, not all do and some do a lot more with what they have.

San Francisco and Phoenix both have metro areas around the same population. New Orleans and Oklahoma City also both have the same population. In both cases, one punches a great deal above its weight and the other offers far below what one would expect considering its size. The cities are so different its difficult to really compare them.

Instead of focusing on size, its best to consider amenities. Come up with a list of amenities that are deal breakers and that are nice to haves but not required and find a city that is a good match.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I agree that you can't just look at population figures, but what the city offers. For instance, Vancouver, BC only has around 2.4M residence but honestly blows away quite a few US cities that are the same size or larger. The one above about OKC and NOLA is a good example as well.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I agree that you can't just look at population figures, but what the city offers. For instance, Vancouver, BC only has around 2.4M residence but honestly blows away quite a few US cities that are the same size or larger. The one above about OKC and NOLA is a good example as well.
True. I would say Vancouver compared pretty well with many U.S. metro areas in the 5 million population range. Calgary also feels much larger than it is and if in the U.S., would probably compare well alongside metro areas in the 3 million population range despite only having 1.3 million people in its metro.

Phoenix on the other hand feels like and offers amenities in line with what one would expect from a metro of around 2.5 million in population (not 4.5 million). The OKC metro feels like it should be in the 600,000 population range as opposed to the 1.3 million that it actually is.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:40 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I don't know if I would share so readily that tidbit of pillow talk conversation if my girlfriend was always telling me that haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
hahahahahahahaa
Doesn't matter. Got laid

Sorry for the OT remarks. Don't ban me

Old 08-29-2015, 04:52 AM

240 posts, read 344,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
In all these debates, cities of similar size are always compared, but how does one figure out what size of city they want to live in? To me they kind of seemed grouped into classes: below 1 million, 1-3 million, 3-5 million, and >5million.

Why would one choose larger over smaller or vice versa? I get the amenities thing (NYC is likelier to have whatever of the thing you were looking for and the worlds biggest ___ ), and I get the traffic thing (the bigger the city, the greater the traffic), but is that it?

Is the chance of finding a job generally better in bigger cities given equal unemployment rates? Is COL greater the bigger the city is? Does it have to do with density desired?

Also which size do you prefer and why?
For me, it must be bigger than Baton Rouge.
Memphis/Birmingham/St. Louis/Jacksonville is the best.
Dallas/Houston/Atlanta is too large for me.

Fort Wayne is too small and when i drive from chicago to fort wayne...The corn land on the 65MPH highway makes me feel asleep...

Old 08-29-2015, 04:53 AM

240 posts, read 344,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
True. I would say Vancouver compared pretty well with many U.S. metro areas in the 5 million population range. Calgary also feels much larger than it is and if in the U.S., would probably compare well alongside metro areas in the 3 million population range despite only having 1.3 million people in its metro.

Phoenix on the other hand feels like and offers amenities in line with what one would expect from a metro of around 2.5 million in population (not 4.5 million). The OKC metro feels like it should be in the 600,000 population range as opposed to the 1.3 million that it actually is.

OKC is pretty good size make me feel comfortable. Tulsa looks very odd and disrepair...
The most annoying thing in OK is toll road everywhere..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City